I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
made WHERE?
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 18, 2022 09:34AM

Do any rod blank retailers label their product with the country of origin? I would be willing to pay a bit more for U.S. made products rather than subsidize importers and their profits.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: made WHERE?
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-54-39-133.net)
Date: March 18, 2022 09:41AM

You asked this same question a couple weeks ago. Refer to the answers there.

Date: March 18, 2022 10:02AM

Thanks, Mike. I can't remember this elusive first first post about imported rod components, find it, or any answering posts. I used the "Goto Search" option of this site. Nothing came up. Could you be a bit more specific about the timing or title of this first post?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2022 10:17AM by Phil Ewanicki.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (144.51.12.---)
Date: March 18, 2022 10:08AM

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-198-50-155.net)
Date: March 18, 2022 10:10AM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I guess when you beat the same dead horse so often you forget just how often you've beaten it.

Date: March 18, 2022 10:31AM

Phil Richmond: Found it. Thanks. I continue to prefer to buy products made by American workers in U.S. factories, especially if these are parity products - rather than patronize importer/middlemen whose ONLY product or service is to transport the product and mark up the price. The horse isn't dead - he's eating our lunch.

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: March 18, 2022 11:04AM

Phil,

We/NFC make our blanks in the US. We also sell factory direct. Take a look at our catalog here: [northforkcomposites.com]

Best Regards,
Aleks

Posted by: Fred Zimmermann (---.raintreegraphics.com)
Date: March 18, 2022 11:54AM

It's not that difficult to find the products that are made here in the USA. It is plainly and proudly advertised, especially in the rod/reel business. They pretty much shout it form the mountaintops when it is, and are quiet about if it is not.

Posted by: Joel Wick (---.norlight.net)
Date: March 18, 2022 12:38PM

Purely of rod building curiosity, Phil, when is the last time you bought a blank?

Was there a blank-buying spree after your last inquiry of this type in January, and are you about to go on another?

If so, I’m looking forward to more questions regarding these planned purchases.

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: March 18, 2022 02:46PM

I love these discussions, so entertaining!

Phil,

If you want to support working Americans, then buy from a US vendor regardless of where it’s made. The fact is that more Americans make their livings purchasing, making, selling or servicing irrespective of country of origin. The option to do so provides the opportunity for businesses and consumers to be economically strong, and it's precisely what makes this country so great. The mindset of restricting purchases to only products produced in the US will restrict access to quality, variety, availability and if most did this would harm the economy for all, ultimately costing the livelihoods of many fine working citizens. There are countries in the world who adopt this mentality, mostly communists and they suffer the exact aforementioned consequences. I am in no way taking anything away from US manufacturers as I was once one myself, but if you truly want to support American workers then look to your left and purchase from anyone on the list.

As for markups/margins, you really have no idea what you’re talking about when it comes to this market. Very few people get rich in an industry they are lucky to survive, for which I have first hand knowledge, being well into my 41st year in fishing tackle…. A favorite line in my pitch is, “the best way to make a million dollars in the fishing tackle industry is to start with two” although now its likely three…. Your assumption of the involvement of what you describe as an "importer/middleman” with their only product being the transport of product shows your complete ignorance of the business your are referencing (unless you meant Freight Forwarder) for you failed to mention the investment in; design, tooling, raw material, IP, personnel, marketing, warehousing and other basic overhead. Not to forget freight (+fuel surcharges), import/export duties, brokerage fees, domestic shipping, and the always dreaded FET as well as regional sales tax. And from personal knowledge of true costs, once all are paid, there’s not much left for your implication of profiteering in selling rod components.

So certainly buy from American workers in U.S. factories. But don’t forget to consider buying from an American firm and supporting the hundreds of hard working fellow Americans represented on that list to your left, regardless of country of origin.

Respectfully,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Date: March 18, 2022 03:14PM

I bought my last rod blank last fall. It was nice of you to ask. I bought my first rod blank in 1956. And you? I bought that 1956 blank directly from a U.S. manufacturer. I bought that last blank from a U.S.A. retailer, but I have no doubt that blank was made in an Asian factory and passed through many pairs of hands, each of which added nothing to the blank but the price, and it still cost a whole lot less than a comparable U.S. made blank. I have no suggestion how to change this situation, but I maintain the right to mention it, dislike it, and whine about it.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 18, 2022 03:16PM

Darrin, THANKS! That was outstanding! Though futile!

Again, Thanks!

John

Posted by: Joel Wick (---.norlight.net)
Date: March 18, 2022 04:32PM

Phil, it occurs to me that your memory is sharp enough to remember where and when you bought your first blank 66 years ago, yet it seemingly fails in remembering that you asked this same exact question, with the same exact post title, a few weeks ago.

Or, that you made a very similar post about the subject on December 14, as well.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The first blank I purchased was about 1982, from Cabelas. I still have that rod, though it doesn’t cast as far as my recent builds because the components aren’t as good, and the blanks I use now are of higher quality.

As for complaining and whining, having most recently purchased a foreign-made blank, your actions speak for themselves.

No worries, though; I never complain about the free market.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 18, 2022 04:44PM

Attaboy Darrin. I really appreciate your straightening out the issue of mark-ups and profits. It's a lot harder to be successful at business than most people realize.

My first blank from Herters ("Finest Procurable Quallty) in about 1956. Still have the fly rod (blank from Herters) that I built in 1962.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: March 18, 2022 07:06PM

Darrin, good on you ! As mentioned above, it is likely to be futile, as Ewaniki's lack of business acumen, fuels his ignorant positions regarding contributions and profits.

He is constantly trying to "push the rope"!!!

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 18, 2022 08:51PM

Just assume that everything is made out of country.

Then, if you happen to see something that is made in the USA, you can smile.

Take care

Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.delta.com)
Date: March 19, 2022 01:51AM

I know Phil Ewanicki keeps asking these same questions but maybe we should cut him a little slack. If he was 20 when he bought a blank in 1956 he is 86 now, I hope I can still see good enough and am able to work with my hands when I'm 86. I'm only 60 and I am already forgetting things and losing my eyesight.

And I have tried to live solely on products Made In The U.S.A. It's tough, but not impossible I guess, but we wouldn't own a car or truck if we stuck to only buying things 100% made in the U.S.A. One of my best friends rode a Harley and drove a Chevy truck. He was always promoting U.S.A., Made In America, and then he started dating a Japanese girl. We rode his ass all the time, then he wrecked his truck, she broke her wrist and sued the crap out of him. We still joke about that. I am just grateful that I live in the U.S.A. right now.

Steve

Date: March 19, 2022 11:45AM

The more pairs of hands a finished product goes through the higher its price becomes, although the product is unchanged. A measured difference [numbers] in accuracy between rod blanks is not to be found, and rod blanks look pretty much the same. If you disagree cite your proof. For the practical user durability and casting distance help define worth of a rod blank, but you will not find an advertised deflection/breaking point or lifting strength for a rod blank, nor will you find an advertised range of accuracy for a rod blank - with the exception of one yearly fly-rod publication. Open-minded fans of reality would gladly welcome a double-blind comparison of the casting distance and accuracy displayed by various blanks, but the rod business prefers advertising to test results. Ever wonder why?

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: March 19, 2022 03:13PM

Last I heard accuracy was pretty much in the hands of the handler. I do not know of a single rod or blank that can cast designate a specific target

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 19, 2022 05:36PM

I've said it before, and here we go again. If there is a void in value in the marketplace that represents a business opportunity. Phil, why don't you start a company that will, for a fee, provide to anglers a comprehensive guide to the accuracy of all casting ranges of not only fly rods, but all rods, + casting distances with various lure weights and styles (like spinnerbaits vs spoons) and wind conditions, with various reels and lines, differences in appearance, and finally, ability (or inability) of the rods to create energy and to push on a line.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster