I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Made where?
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (97.104.222.---)
Date: January 19, 2022 10:18AM

Which rod blanks and components are made in the U.S.A. and which are made offshore? I prefer to support American workers before I support American importers, especially when mark-ups on imported rod blanks and components (and fly lines) often rise to several hundred percent. It wouldn't cost much to label products made in America, and might even boost sales.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Made where?
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: January 19, 2022 10:23AM

Are you looking for the "Made in America" in the legal sense as defined by FTC or actually 100% of all components and labor in America?

Posted by: Fred Zimmermann (---.raintreegraphics.com)
Date: January 19, 2022 11:25AM

I am aware of blanks made here in America but I am not aware of any components, like real seats and guides.

Date: January 19, 2022 11:33AM

For rod building I would like to know which blanks, guides, tip-tops, reel seats, and epoxies were manufactured, built, or produced within the legal boundaries of the 50 states of the U.S.A. and which rod components were produced outside the U.S., then imported and sold in the U.S. . As an American rod builder I feel NO compulsion to enrich importers of rod-building components or their chain of price increases stretching here from Asia.

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---)
Date: January 19, 2022 11:39AM

Can you be specific and tell us what Rod blank and component brands are being marked up several hundred per cent? Where were you able to find the production costs for these brands?

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: January 19, 2022 01:43PM

I am not about to compile a list for someone but I can give my $0.02.

I do not mind imported goods from American allied/friendly countries. Fuji/Shimano/St Croix,Rod Geeks...to cite a few examples.

Do I wish more of it was based and made here? Yes.

Do I understand why it is not? Yes.

Do I blame the manufacturers for the anti-business policies that are set beyond their control? No.

Do I hold a deep disdain for the mark-ups? No. If it is of a quality that I believe is worth paying for I will buy it. If I feel it is overpriced I will avoid it. It is called the free market. I voice my opinion with my participation.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: January 19, 2022 02:04PM

There are several makers of reel seats and guides made her in the US. Althought mostly affialiated with Fly rods

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2022 03:25PM

At Flex Coat our epoxies are made in the USA, always have been. Also, our equipment is designed and hand crafted in Driftwood, Tx. If you want to call and talk to me, the man that builds every machine and wires every motor that goes out the door, you can. Often we can even customize the equipment at little to no extra charge. I don't think any body else in the industry does that. If you are going to be at the show, I will be there with our latest equipment. I look forward to it.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: January 19, 2022 03:40PM

Phil, do your own research ! Quit asking others to do it for you.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 19, 2022 03:53PM

Even if it is made in the US it has components that are outsourced in some way. 1000# gorilla in the room is China and the Chinese Communist Party. American enterprises here go to China for cheap labor and production prices. The CCP has heavy influence on both sides of the isle through campaign donations (manipulated and under the table included). You can not buy a car in this country that does not have some other part in it that comes from somewhere else. I think the best we can do is try not to buy anything from China that contributes money to the CCP (this is actually almost impossible). The US has literally made China the richest country in the world, while we destroy our economy.

Date: January 19, 2022 04:43PM

Phil, I am simply requesting that American made goods be identified as such and foreign made goods be identified as such. I lack the money and the contacts to determine point of origin of rod making components, and our elected representatives have obviously decided their support (including campaign $) will be greater if they co-mingle American made and foreign made goods without identifying country of origin. I regret you are not in favor of requiring such information to be provided to U.S. rod builders. Why do prefer to conceal this information?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 19, 2022 04:54PM

There is no specific law that requires that products made outside the U.S. be labeled to that effect. However, if you label your product as being made or assembled in the U.S. there are some requirements that you must adhere to:

[www.ftc.gov]

Generally companies that make or assemble their products here in the U.S. are happy to state such. If they do not, there is a reasonable chance that the product is not made in the U.S.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 19, 2022 05:46PM

I believe all REC components are made in the US.

Date: January 20, 2022 01:26PM

Tom: Thank you. There is good reason to conclude a product for sale in the U.S. which does not cite its country of origin is a product made in a foreign country. I know for fact you can buy fishing products shipped in bulk with no trade name or country of origin - fly lines, for example. You can buy excellent W.F. and D.T. fly lines off the internet.They come in no-name, no nation of origin boxes, sell for less than $20, and they cast every bit as well as $95 fly lines in boxes with English names and claims.

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---)
Date: January 20, 2022 02:34PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tom: Thank you. There is good reason to conclude a
> product for sale in the U.S. which does not cite
> its country of origin is a product made in a
> foreign country. I know for fact you can buy
> fishing products shipped in bulk with no trade
> name or country of origin - fly lines, for
> example. You can buy excellent W.F. and D.T. fly
> lines off the internet.They come in no-name, no
> nation of origin boxes, sell for less than $20,
> and they cast every bit as well as $95 fly lines
> in boxes with English names and claims.

So you really didn't care where the product was made as long as it worked as well as the American made lines at the higher price?

Posted by: Jim Alberts (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 20, 2022 04:34PM

Every forum from time to time has a "if it ain't made in America I ain't buying it" discussion/rant. This may come as a shock to some but we live in a global economy and just as we sell commodities, products, and services world wide other nations are selling here. You can complain about clothing at Walmart or Nieman - Marcus but then make sure you also complain about the soybean farmer selling his/her crop to China or Japan. The U.S. does not dictate policy to the world anymore and that filters down to all facets of world trade. People make decisions via their spending habits and it is clear the days of American economic hegemony are over.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 20, 2022 07:45PM

I'm with Jim. At the very earliest opportunity USA manufacturers moved the work offshore to save on labor costs. Let's not blame the consumer. If Detroit (USA) had top level products way back you would never had heard of ABU, Toyota, Sony, Shimano, Fuji etc. All this flag waving gets old.

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: January 20, 2022 08:45PM

Lynn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> All this flag waving gets old.

Flag waving NEVER gets old.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2022 08:50PM by Kent Griffith.

Date: January 21, 2022 07:17PM

Nothing wrong with a little flag waving from citizens proud of their country - quite the contrary. It's the angler-buyer's $ and he's free to spend it, even if the lion's share of the cost of foreign goods goes into the pockets of importers, re-sellers, and advertisers. But we DO have the right to know the country of origin of the goods we buy - even fishing tackle components.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2022 04:02PM by Phil Ewanicki.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: January 22, 2022 05:31PM

If you want a blank or components that are truly manufactured in the U.S. then your options will be greatly reduced. Most people tallk all the time about wanting to buy U.S. produced goods, but their dollars do the real talking and they buy consumer goods to meet a price point, not country of origin. NFC blanks are made in the U.S. and offered at various price points, yet many here focus on their service and not their origin. People often want it all but are not willing to pay. If you want to wave the flag what waders are you wearing? I think the Simm's higher end units are the only waders produced in the U.S. Fly lines still seem to be a major U.S. produced product with SA, RIO and Cortland produced here. I am not sure if any rod cork is grown in the U.S. Clamor for an American made blank or rod and then drive to the stream in a car from Korea or Germany.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster