I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

casting versus spinning
Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 28, 2022 10:10AM

I should already know this because I work with fishing rods for youth frequently, but is there any meaningful difference between a casting rod blank, spinning rod blank, or a "spin/cast" rod blank? Reason I'm asking is because I've been asked to build a rod for my accountant's grandson (age 5) and of course, being a custom rod, it should be special. I'm a little lost with selecting the correct components for this project. I highly doubt if he will be using a spinning reel, certainly not a casting reel, probably a spincast reel. I could go to any sporting goods store and grab one off the rack, but I'm being asked for a custom rod. If the lad was 15 or 25 instead of 5 it would be a lot easier. It's been said that there are no such things as stupid questions, but I'm sure this is pushing the envelope. Suggestions?

Dave Sytsma

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: casting versus spinning
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 28, 2022 10:24AM

A rod blank is a rod blank. It doesn't know what type reel you mount on it. The only difference is that some blanks are specifically designed for fishing tasks that are typically performed with a spinning or casting set-up. But if you find a blank that fits your needs, you can build it as a spinning or casting rod. It won't matter and the blank will never know. In fact, some companies list the same blank under a different model number, in both spinning and casting categories.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 28, 2022 10:36AM

G Loomis does what Tom discribed and has since day one.

Date: February 28, 2022 11:48AM

Thanks, guys. It's sort of what I thought. My brain is fried: so I'm going to stare at a hole in a frozen lake for a while. Excellent therapy.

Dave Sytsma

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 28, 2022 03:52PM

Don't make the mistake of building him a "child's" rod, one of those short hard to cast/hard to set the hook rods. Kids can learn to cast a 6 foot rod very easily-I see no advantage to a short rod. I started two of my grandkids on regular spinning rods, 6 1/2 foot St. Croix Avids, and they took to them very fast. Given proper instruction kids can have the rod and use it for the rest of their lives.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: February 28, 2022 06:13PM

I agree with Mr. Danek. A child of 5 can easily learn to cast a spinning rod, and won't be embarrased by a "Kids Rod" a few short years down the line. If they ansolutely need a spin/cast rod in the interim, Zebco can fill that need and be donated to Goodwill when the child graduates to the Spinning setup, but a custom rod should be both for now and into the future.

My recommendation would be a two-piece 6' or 6'6" rod along with a rod sack and a protective tube. This should handle any fishing the child will encounter for years to come, and the sack and tube will help protect the rod and keep it looking good during those years when kids are not so inclined to care for their equipment.

Date: February 28, 2022 07:33PM

Michael and Richard,

Excellent advice. To be honest, cost was mentioned as irrelevant, so I ordered a 6'6" St. Croix SCV medium light from their distributor. Wasn't close to being cheap. I have the same rod in 7' and it's positively amazing. Handles everything from 9" perch to 4# smallmouth bass without effort. Very sensitive, with good butt strength.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: March 01, 2022 01:51PM

Resistance to deformation and harmonic frequency are the only two physical measurements I can think of to quantify a rod's physical performance - but manufacturers and dealers in blanks and rods deal in imaginations, testimonials, and dreams, NOT measured, physical facts.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.cust.tzulo.com)
Date: March 01, 2022 02:16PM

Yes they deal in dreams and if you want to be successful in selling a product you need to deal in dreams as well. Did it ever occur to you that these companies are successful because they know how to market and sell stuff to their intended market? Marketing 101 --- sell the sizzle not the steak.

Date: March 01, 2022 06:18PM

Show me a successful company that is not successful at marketing. Marketing is not a dirty word. It is a discipline necessary to communicate your products' virtues to prospective buyers.

Anyone thinking that running a successful company in any arena is a piece of cake needs to try it. And do it without marketing, if you think marketing is something evil. Good luck with that.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: March 02, 2022 11:16AM

Advertising, A.K.A. "marketing" is probably the biggest business in the U.S.A.. Some ads provide the consumer with quantified product information. Some don't. For example: Some auto advertising is for "show", some auto ads are for "go". Some rod builders primarily seek superior performance, while others primarily seek an attractive appearance. When in doubt look for numbers rather than superlatives. These two goals can be in opposition - but there is plenty of room for compromise.

Date: March 02, 2022 04:07PM

Agreed. The way I feel about marketing is that it is the transfer of information from the seller to the buyer. Even if the buyer doesn't like the message, or the way it's communicated, or if they doubt the validity of it, it is information. If I don't like a company's marketing, for whatever reason, I don't buy from them. I have gotten information on that company that sends me somewhere else.

An interesting case in the topic of marketing is Suburu. They don't talk about anything related to the car any more. It's all about "green," and "feelings," and their charitable donations. It appears to be working for them, but it won't work for me.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 07, 2022 10:31PM

How did this go from choosing the appropriate rod blank for a 5 year old, to the ins and outs of advertising?

You might find that a light, or ultra-light with a Kastking BFS reel. The blank could also be used for a spincast reel.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: Gary Weber (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 09, 2022 01:32PM

David,
Some years back I built a rod for spincasting on a nfc FW 602-1 delta blank. I spiral wrapped it and put an omega pro reel on it. I have used it mainly for bluegill and crappie. I have mainly cast 1/32–1/16 jigs. It seems to cast these as well as some of my ultralight 6’-7’ spinning outfits. It may be something you might want to look at.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster