I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: End of an era?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 11, 2022 02:23PM

I appreciate the many kind comments.

Forums operate one of two ways. There are companies that exist by operating forums. You can obtain one for either a very low fee or even for free. The owner operates the software and hosts the site but you have to agree to the owner running continual advertising on his behalf. You don't really own anything concrete - you're just being given a page on somebody else's system. This is why many rod building forums are covered with advertising for gutter guards, vitamins and all sorts of things not related to custom rod building.

The other way to do it is to buy your own software and hire a hosting company to maintain and supply the site. That's how I went about it. This is an expensive way to do things but it gives you total control over what appears on your forum. You actually own the forum but you also foot the bill for updates, changes, maintenance, new servers, etc. I have always priced the sponsor fee (about a buck per day) so that as many companies as possible could afford it and yet still allow me to mostly break even each year.

Last fall I got an out-of-the-blue offer that given my age and other responsibilities just made sense for me to accept. The new owner will make an announcement regarding future plans at the end of this month or first of next month. All sponsorships are contractually obligated to be honored. I hope this forum will continue to operate much as it has over the past 20 years.

In the interim, neither RodMaker Magazine nor the Expo have been sold. They are separate entities from this forum.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kevin Landers (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: February 11, 2022 05:21PM

From everyone here at American Tackle Co we want to say Tom has been an outstanding partner and a great person for pushing our craft further. Without him and this forum we know that the growth of this craft would not be the same. Tom, we thank you for all that you have done and wish you the best. We will see you ICRBE in a few short weeks and look forward to even more shows!

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 11, 2022 06:04PM

Thanks, Tom. We have all learned a lot here.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2022 06:58PM

I've learned everything I know about rod building here. I'd still be fishing factory rods if it weren't this forum and it's awesome membership. Kind of strange .... last night I didn't have a lot to do so I put my name into the search just to go back and see when I made my first post to this site.

It was January 29, 2015, I started a thread about a flipping and pitching rod I wanted to build. The first response to the thread, and the first bit of advice, which I've followed with every rod I've built, came from Tom. It was to add extra running guides to help protect the blank in bad rod handling situations.

Thank you Tom ..... for everything.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: February 11, 2022 07:55PM

My first post was Nov.14 2003...I think.

Posted by: Scott Olson (---.sub-174-255-5.myvzw.com)
Date: February 11, 2022 10:02PM

Thanks Tom for all you have done for me and my rod building. I have learned so much from this forum! So if the new owners ruin this for us. Who here can step up and recreate what Tom has done for us for so long.

Posted by: Travis W Thompson (---.block0.gvtc.com)
Date: February 11, 2022 11:18PM

"The other way to do it is to buy your own software and hire a hosting company to maintain and supply the site. That's how I went about it. This is an expensive way to do things but it gives you total control over what appears on your forum. You actually own the forum but you also foot the bill for updates, changes, maintenance, new servers, etc. I have always priced the sponsor fee (about a buck per day) so that as many companies as possible could afford it and yet still allow me to mostly break even each year."

THIS IS WHAT MADE IT SPECIAL

I miss the days of independent forums, they are now a thing of the past cooperate run now. Also, Facebook has taken a lot of folks away from them.

Travis T

Posted by: Adam Bricker (---.62.195.76.144.clients.your-server.de)
Date: February 12, 2022 09:39AM

This has also been a place that was pleasant to use--- one where you did not mind your sons and even daughters reading. Most message boards were not like this one and some were downright crude and lewd. There was a forum on the west coast that got so bad at one point that it was embarrassing even for adults to read. I have done a lot more reading than posting here at RBO and check it every single morning when I get into the office. Always new posts, thoughts and ideas. It has become a morning ritual for me and I would bet the same thing for many others. I really hope it does not undergo many if any changes.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: February 12, 2022 10:12AM

I also hope this forum doesn’t change. It is the only rod building forum In which I participate. The civility, respect, and lack of foul language on this site are quite unique. Because of this people are not afraid to ask questions or voice their opinions. The people here can disagree without being disagreeable and the information shared is almost always useful, even to veteran builders. Thanks Tom, job well done.
Norm

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 12, 2022 08:51PM

I have read every post, (pertinent to my interests or not) gained a huge amount of knowledge, gotten countless hours of entertainment, (thx Phil, Lol) and communicated with a few to whom I'll always be indebted. Not a day passes that I don't check in here. I also hope it doesn't change. If it ain't broke... Thx Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2022 08:54PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 12, 2022 08:57PM

Hello Travis.

"THIS IS WHAT MADE IT SPECIAL"
"THIS IS WHAT MAkES IT SPECIAL"

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: February 13, 2022 02:33AM

Hope things stay the same or nearly so. Forum reminds me early days of forums in general. Forums used to draw fully engaged people seeking knowledge advice and company of like minded folks. You had to seek things out and want to be there. You also did not hide behind the anonymity of the internet and act disrespectful.This is one of only a small handful of forums I frequent that are still like that. Most are full of potstirrers and those that don't bring much to the table. Kinda like your friendly neighborhood bar. You got the core group of genuine good people but there is always that one smartass at the end of the bar looking to cause grief. Overtime the core group shrinks and your left with a bunch of smartasses and a place void of anything useful.

As for ads bring them on. Adblocker works real good.

Finally Tom thank you. You have brought a lot of different levels of builders together through all your endeavors not just this forum. For beginner to master you have created a place and made information available that is approachable and inclusive to all.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2022 09:03AM

Tom, it,s good seeing you make some time for yourself..be careful, it can become a habit..lol.

Date: February 13, 2022 09:08AM

I hope it does. It occurred to me about a week ago that I have not had a single day off in 25 years now. Not a holiday or weekend. The few hours I managed to carve out here and there for personal time always had to be paid back by working into the night or starting extra early the next morning. My family members were often upset with me for not having spent Thanksgivings or Christmases with them for the last 25 years. Time has slipped by quickly.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: February 14, 2022 07:55AM

Compared to others I am still an infant on this forum. This forum is one I will never leave. As a millennial I have somehow manage to stay off all social media. This is the closest I will ever get and I am blessed to call myself a part of this great community. Thank you Tom for your vision, passion, and hard work to make a place like this a possibility.

Posted by: Steven Paris (---.37.17.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 15, 2022 10:56AM

Thanks Tom, you will be missed for sure and hopefully you still hang out here.
Steve

Posted by: Jim Ising (38.35.168.---)
Date: February 15, 2022 06:11PM

Tom, it occurs to me you will be able to say what you're really thinking on the forum now. Hmmm.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2022 09:09PM

yea Jim, he,ll probably get banned in the first month..lol..i just have to ask, this being a rod building site, how much fishing did you get in Tom..that would be the only thing to keep me going for 25 years..it,s such a great tonic, even one hour a week..just to try out a new rod buildig idea..

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 15, 2022 09:45PM

Jim, interesting thought. Lol

Date: February 15, 2022 09:59PM

Maybe 1 hour per month would be more like it. The time required to operate this forum, magazine and Expo just didn't leave much time for anything else. I was fortunate to have done a lot of fishing before this page in my life and hopefully will return to that time in the coming years.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster