I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CRB micro guide bands
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 23, 2022 05:35PM

I'm enclosing a link to these, and while referred to as tubing, They might be better described as very small o-rings on a runner. Does anyone know of a source for these in larger sizes? I'm not looking for orthodontic ligatures that are similar to small rubber bands. Thx, Lynn [mudhole.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CRB micro guide bands
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 23, 2022 10:31PM

Lynn,
These are simply Ortho ligatures.

I have several packs of these and they work very well for small diameter rod blanks.

From the pictures only - it is possible that these bands are a bit larger than the one shown in your link:

[www.amazon.com]

If you want to try a few different ones here are many many choices:

[www.amazon.com]

================
Here is a large selection of larger bands from 1/8th inch and up:
[www.amazon.com]

Here are some 1/8th inch bands along with a hook tool that might make application easier in the rod building industry:
[www.amazon.com]

=============================
Here are some more ligatures, along with an application gun that might be very useful in getting the bands on the blanks in the right location:

[www.amazon.com]

===================
If you use ortho bands for rod building, make sure that you have a pair of Micro tipped nippers on hand as you build:
[www.amazon.com]

and:
[www.amazon.com]

This pair of nippers might be the best one for nipping the ortho bands without hitting the blank.
[www.amazon.com]

=========================
When using any sort of bands or tubing, place enough bands on the rod blank to cover all of the guides plus a few extra - in case one needs to be cut off and you will then have a spare to finish the rod.

YOu can use an assortment of these bands to cover virtually any need that you have for diameter to hold any size guide on any size rod blank. Just pick up a bunch of different sizes and you will be set.

---
For myself, the only time that I use the bands is when the guide foot is very short -- i.e. micro guides. The very short guide foot does not give enough length to use even an 1/8th inch wide piece of masking tape as is the case for my usual guide holding material.

Take care

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: January 24, 2022 12:25AM

I put a piece of 2lb. monofilament under these bands at the tip. This makes it super easy to move the bands down the blank and get guide foot inserted. When you are done, this allows for safely pulling the bands away from the blank for cutting.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 24, 2022 04:56PM

Kendall,
That is a good idea! I may not actually have a need for it but nonetheless can see its merit and usefulness. Thanks for sharing.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (---.centralaccess.com)
Date: January 24, 2022 08:42PM

Kendall,

Thank you for the tip!

Date: January 24, 2022 09:09PM

Thanks for your response Roger, the very fist link you provided shows exactly what I'm looking for. Is there any type of size chart from which you can select various I.D.'s for these rings? In the past I've gotten some from a local orthodontist with an I.D. large enough for the CRB size to fit inside. They were on a round white plastic runner as opposed to the flat type shown. There has to be more than one size of these things with a way to choose between them. Again, not looking for the rubber, gum, elastic, bands of the type often used to secure a rolled up newspaper.

Posted by: Derick Jahnke (---)
Date: January 24, 2022 10:20PM

I bought some of these and personally found then to be a waste. Just use the rubberized bait thread. It holds guides well in place and allows some movement....plus it is quite a bit cheaper. I can do several rods per a roll, no matter the rod diameter.

Date: January 25, 2022 09:02PM

I thought I gave a pretty clear description of what I'm looking for, as well as what I'm not. I have elastic thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2022 09:17PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2022 07:04PM

Lynn, have you seen the tubing that Mud Hole offers? It comes in 3' lengths, and in 4 different sizes. I've used it on the last dozen builds I've done, and it works really well. One thing I really like about it is that I can cut it so that the bands are any width I want them to be.

There is a chart that tells you the ID and what it will stretch up to.

[mudhole.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster