I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Advancing decorative wraps
Posted by: Justin hipperling (---.static.optonline.net)
Date: December 30, 2021 12:02PM

What would be my best source for learning how to do more intricate wraps. I limited to diamonds. I have seen some diagrams, however, they seem to be written for the experienced.

Any input would be much appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Advancing decorative wraps
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: December 30, 2021 12:36PM

One thing that helped me try new patterns was sitting down with multiple markers and a straight edge. Experiment with different over/under patterns and see what happens. I do this to practice a pattern before I put it on a rod just so the pattern becomes second nature.

Posted by: mark berry (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2021 02:35PM

Get the book Decorative Wraps by Billy Vivona, everything you need to know is in that book, I think they sell it at Mudhole.

Posted by: Bill Thompson (---)
Date: December 30, 2021 04:52PM

The book Decorative Wraps by Billy Vivona is how myself and many others learned how to do wraps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2021 04:52PM by Bill Thompson.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 30, 2021 05:42PM

Nothing more intricate potential than a weave IMO...

Lots of learning material here on RBO: [www.rodbuilding.org]

And a great tool, albeit expensive, if you can still find one: [mudhole.com]

And plenty of examples on the RBO photo's page: [www.rodbuilding.org]

One of my earlier attempts: [www.rodbuilding.org]

On of the most intricate I've ever seen from THE subject matter expert: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2021 05:53PM by Steven Libby.

Posted by: David Boyle (69.162.229.---)
Date: December 30, 2021 07:01PM

As mentioned, Billy's book.
Also look at "Custom Rod Thread Art" by Clemens.
If you are serious about it consider attending the ICRBE in Feb. The NERBs will have a booth there. You can see some of the world's best thread art there, meet the artists, ask questions, and learn.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (199.241.225.---)
Date: December 30, 2021 07:03PM

I've got one of Billy's books and it has helped me quite a bit, I know Mudhole sells it [mudhole.com] not sure if any other sponsors do or not, but it's well worth the read.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 30, 2021 07:35PM

I have no idea how involved you wish to get. If you want to start with just one book, I'd go with Billy's. The Clemens book is good but many find it hard to understand. I think this is where Billy's book turned a corner in regard to making wrap sequences easier to understand.

Posted by: Joseph Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 03, 2022 01:26PM

Justin......if you GOOGLE search you will be able to find step by step cross wrap patterns that are very easy for the beginner to follow......3 black threads.....now 6 red threads...etc. I too found the available books assumed more knowledge than I possessed at the time. I thought I found them here a while back but I can't find them now.
Try various keywords......custom fishing rod decorative wraps.....step by step cross wrap patterns....etc. You will find some stuff.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster