I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hand Wrapper Recommendations
Posted by: Josh Boege (---)
Date: December 14, 2021 04:46PM

I know this is topic that has been beating to death and in my google searching there is some decent info out there though much of it is several years old. Looking for a fresh perspective from the modern day.

With what is available today for hand wrappers what would you recommend to someone who does not care for the CRB wrapper?

My main gripe with the CRB is the tension on the spools. It is very finicky.

Considering the Flex Coat speed wrapper. How would that compare to what I have now?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hand Wrapper Recommendations
Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2021 05:08PM

Josh

If you insist on only hand wrapping there is nothing better than our speed wrapper. 10-4 on the tension devices. As it has been pointed out before, our tension devices are the standard on millions and millions of sewing machines all over the world. They are effective, easy to adjust and load and unload thread. No need to take apart a wingnut and spring assembly. We even supply teflon washers to aid with coarse metallic thread.

[flexcoat.com]

If you would like to talk about our speed wrapper or anything rod building, I welcome the phone call at your convenience. 512-858-7742

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 14, 2021 05:19PM

I started building on my own cobbled hand wrapper and used the Flex Coat tensioner. I had no trouble with it with any thread I was using. If a thread won't work with that tensioner, get another thread.

I now have a power wrapper platform without power and the tensioner is the spring/wingnut type. It is not as reliable as the Flex-Coat. Since the spools are loaded from the ends the labels cause inconsistent tension at times. I've got to figure out how to cobble the Flex Coat onto my rig.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 14, 2021 06:48PM

I have a speed wrapper and I love it. Order a third roller stand right away, adds more flexibility. I have modified my thread carriage and don't use the tensioners, (I wrap with the thread coming down to the blank from behind through a spring wire allowing me to back up under tension.) but they work just fine. I build on the dining room table and I can break the whole thing down and make it disappear in under 10 min. Might be the best thing I ever bought for building.

Date: December 14, 2021 07:56PM

Well, I spoke with John, and I think Ive been swayed to the DC777. Its a lot of coin, but after reading and watching more videos on it, I think it will pay for itself in a short amount of time.

Im new to this, but even with the hand wrapper I have, I have been putting out some respectable ice rods. Nothing mind blowing, but Im putting out rods better than your average store bought at this point. However, I am fighting against my wrapper at almost every step, whether its the tip, the tension, swapping out spools, even down to the tie downs that dont seem to do a heck of a lot. I think with a quality unit like this DC777, I can accelerate the progress in my build quality, move faster, and more efficiently.

Date: December 14, 2021 08:35PM

I guess I have thought about it enough. Just ordered the DC777 from Get Bit.

Thanks for the info John!

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: December 14, 2021 11:42PM

Josh,
It ultimately boils down to personal preference and features when choosing a wrapper. Although fabricating my own, nonetheless I utilized a few features from the Flex Coat wrapper (prior to the new 777). If you are not happy with the Flex Coat 777, you will probably not be happy with any commercial wrapper, even those costing 2X - 3X as much = build your own. Flex Coat’s commitment to the rod building world and their customer service (John Cates) is second to none! I am certain you will enjoy your new wrapper!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 15, 2021 01:23PM

Josh,
That is a great purchase that will last you a lifetime. At first you thought; "this is what I need" then you went and got what you want. There will be a small learning curve but you made a full commitment. Congratulations you are totally inspiring to me and have me going to start a new rod since my shoulder surgery. That is a heck of Christmas gift and now for a new Christmas rod!
Tight Lines,
Lance

Posted by: Fred Zimmermann (---.raintreegraphics.com)
Date: December 15, 2021 01:34PM

Josh Boege Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess I have thought about it enough. Just
> ordered the DC777 from Get Bit.
>
> Thanks for the info John!

You won't be sorry about buying it and John is a stand up guy to boot. I have one with the extension for 12+ ft rods and I love it.

Date: December 15, 2021 05:14PM

Thanks all. I feel good about it. I’ve taken to this very quickly. Once I learn the nuances of the new wrapper I think my product quality will go way up.

Very excited.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2021 10:20PM

Josh, it,ll pay for itself in the first season..

Date: December 16, 2021 08:06AM

I think so too. I bought an asset not a liability.

Can’t wait to get it.

Shout out to Get Bit who also has been amazing. They will always be the first place I check for supplies. Always.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 16, 2021 10:13AM

Josh,
I built this thread tensioner many years ago, when I first began to wrap rods.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

It consists of a base made of nylon which slides nicely along the rod bench which has a top made of a formica kitchen counter top.
The vertical member is a simple piece of oak trim that has been trimmed to this size. The vertical member is supported by a pair of stainless steel right angle clips with a through bolt to maintain the heavy tension on the vertical member along with a wing nut to make the tension on the vertical member more or less tight.

I have drilled a couple of holes in the nylon base for pieces of rod which acts as a thread holder and also as a handle to move the thread up and down the rod bench and the rod blank as it is being wrapped.

The tensioner is the identical that Flex Coat uses on its wrapper but it is the same thread tension device used on millions of sewing and embroidery machines that sew billions of items every day of the year If the tension device basic design is good for billions of sewing machines, it is good enough for me.

To change direction of the thread, I use standard rod thread guides.

If I wish to use a large 3 lb spool of thread, I use this bulk thread holder and pull the thread off the spool that is identical to the bulk spool thread holder that is used by virtually every heavy duty commercial sewing machine used in the world.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

This bulk thread spool holder consists of a pine board, a piece of solid glass rod that had been part of a fishing rod. The solid rod is used to keep the thread spool in place. The wire used to direct the thread came from a wire coat hanger. I wound the loops in my wire winding tool that I formerly used to wind spring for other projects.

Note: that in the design of the bulk spool holder the thread sits on a rod to keep it stationary. The thread pulls off the top of the spool and the spool never rotates. The wire, then directs the thread up off the top of the spool, over a few inches and then back down and out to be at the same level as the level of the thread that comes off the small standard spools of wrapping thread. I just come into the base of my thread tension device from the other side and route it through the same rod guide on the tensioner that I use when coming from the front side of the thread tension device using small spools of thread. When I move the thread tension device up and down the rod when wrapping a guide, the bulk thread spool holder remains stationary.

Since, I always wrap from the same work station when I am wrapping the butt of the rod blank or the tip of the blank - I remain stationary in my chair. But to do that - rather than myself moving and tools and lights etc. I move the rod past me as I work at my work station.
My power wrapper bed uses ball bearing on the bottom edge of the wrapper bed. The power wrapper bed is 10 feet long and my rod wrapping bench is long enough so that I can move my wrapper bed 10 feet in either direction, so that I don't have to worry about falling off the ends of the bench.

For example:

Notice that my moving power wrapper bed was evolutionary. I first started building on a 4 foot long table. Then, I added more tables on each end of the initial 4 foot bench. As time went by, I inserted commercial board roller stands that are used in the lumber working shops to easily allow boards to roll back and forth as a piece of lumber is milled.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Then, I moved onto a solid single piece long table top that was originally intended for a kitchen counter top:

In this picture, I still had a shorter bench, but I was now using my newer power wrapper bed made from aluminum channel - but still using the lumber roller stands to expedite movement of the wrapper bed.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Here is a picture of my power wrapper base. It came from the surplus metal room at our local steel yard. On the way home I stopped at my friend's home who runs a commercial machine shop. I asked my friend to put the piece of aluminum channel on the bed of his mill, and mill sots in the top of the aluminum channel to act as a slot used to hold my rod supports which are a simply piece of cutting board, with a hole in the base for the bolt used to attach the thread holder any where in the slots n the aluminum channel base.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Notice that I had three slots milled in the channel with separations of no slots so that the aluminum channel retained its strength. Then, appropriate holes were drilled in the channel to mount the head stock with its motor and chuck.

If you look at the picture of the wrapper bed, I used a half dozen skate board bearings to form a very smooth roller system to let the bed mover very easily.

However, once the bed was on site - i.e. in the location to wrap either the butt of the rod or the tip of the rod or anywhere in between - before starting to wrap that section of rod, I wished the bed to remain stationary. Hence, I installed brakes on the roller bed. I simply drilled and tapped threaded 1/4 x20 holes in strategic locations to accomodate a 1/4 inch carriage bolt. I used masking tape to wrap from the round carriage bolt head up the neck of the bolt for one inch. Then I used 1 inch wide masking tape to increase the diameter of the bolt to 3/4 of an inch. 3/4 of an inch is the inside diameter of regular hardware store variety - rubber chair leg tips. The rubber tips act as a brake pad. the top of the rod bench, acts as a brake rotor - so to speak. On the top side of the wrapper bed, I attached knurled knobs to lift and lower the brake bolts. Once the bed is in position, I screw down the nearest brake bolt and the wrapper remains stationary. Then, to move the wrapper, I rotate the brake bolt about three revolutions and the brake no longer touches the rod bench top and I can use my pinky finger to move the wrapper bed in either direction to its new location.

Note:
Since the bearing retaining bolts are near the bottom edge of the wrapper bed, I didn't want any part of the bearing retaining bolt to protrude out from the wrapper bed - because thap protrusion would hit the thread holder as it moved back and forth on the back of the wrapper base. Therefore I used flat head bolts and I counter sunk the holes used for the wrapper bed rollers. The picture of the wrapper bed illustrates this bolt and its appearance.

Over the years, I have used every variety of thread tension devices ever imagined by folks in the rod building industry. But, in every case every design had shortcomings that are not present with the simple spring loaded disk design.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The overall design is simple, fool proof and works for me. By the way, I had had troubles using metallic thread with this style spring tension device until John Cates, from Flex Coat sent me the teflon pads that he uses on his wrappers and the issue with metallic thread is solved when u sing the spring loaded thread tension device.

Best wishes

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2021 03:34PM

i c-clamp my v-blocks to the front edge of my work desk so that they extend over the front edge by a few inches..i put the rod into the vees then attach the thread which is in a fly tying bobbin holder and let it hang down..i turn the rod with one hand and supply moderate thread tension with the other hand as i wrap the guide in place..gravity allows me to turn the rod forwards or backwards and not lose any wraps..i don,t see why the same thing can,t be done with a speed wrapper because it,s a very simple way to apply wrapping tension without fussing with washers and springs.. just let the bobbin hang down in front of the wrapper and rotate the rod by hand..you can slip a few fender washers over the bobbin,s tube for added hang tension..

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 17, 2021 02:49PM

Ben,
Good suggestion. However, for myself - it would simply be not very convenient.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2021 04:12PM

i understand Roger..you use power and make hundrreds of rods a year..i,m just giving another view from someone using a hand wrapper though i recall seeing someon using a bobbin holder on a power wrapper on u-tube..he held it up close to the guide, zip zip done..lol...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster