I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Minor repair of a fibreglass rod - suggestions
Posted by: Rick Edgar (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: December 06, 2021 08:17PM

Hello all:

I do a minor bit of rod building and, on occasion, when someone learns that I do so I am asked to do some repairs.

I agreed to replace some eyes on the butt section of a fibreglass Richmake mooching rod. It is an oldie but goodie, or so I am told.

The rod appears to be painted over the fibreglass and then had a very hard and thick finish put on all of the rod, including the threads holding on the eyes. I have not encountered this before. When I removed the eyes the feet were implanted quite firmly into the finish, and, probably from decades of use had created some pits right down to the fibreglass.

So, now I am looking at a rod that has some pits in it that need to be filled, and presumably coloured to match the original paint. I will probably take the entire rod down to no paint status because I can't see how I can just match the small sections that would be exposed and do it with an adequate match.

Any suggestions for what to fill the "pits" with, or would you try to just fill the low spots with paint - which I think might work best.......and last question, what type of paint would you use since I am trying to match a rod that was likely built 50 years ago and I am not finishing the tip section.

Thanks for any suggestions you have. I could just "do my best", but I would like to get it perfect, if there is such a thing.

Cheers, Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Minor repair of a fibreglass rod - suggestions
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: December 06, 2021 09:12PM

Rick,
Since you will most likely replace the guides over their previous position - I see no reason to fill the pits - unless they compromise the blank - but if that's the case - not much can be done anyway.

If you're stripping down to the glass - why are there "low spots"?

I would get a good auto paint spray paint.
Herb

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: December 07, 2021 10:07AM

With a rod that old I would guess it has sentimental value and that the customer wants to retain the original look and finish so probably best not to strip the finish/paint to repaint, and just try to blend the repair in with some spot painting. What color is it? If a standard white, black, etc. a light coat of Rust-o-leum 2X, etc. would work and cover with guide epoxy.

The "pits" were probably caused by the guides being wrapped tight and the repeated flexing from yanking heavy weights used for mooching that wore the feet into the blank finish. I'd do an under-wrap over those areas and finish them with epoxy finish that will penetrate the thread and fill the "pits" spot paint if needed, and wrap on new guides.

Posted by: Rick Edgar (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: December 07, 2021 02:49PM

Thanks to you both. Yes, the pits appear to have been caused by the flexing of the feet on the rod, but the finish that was used adhered to the feet and pulled some of the paint off between the feet when I got the eyes off, so if I don't fill that section those will be visible after the job is finished.. The rod is a mustard yellow, so maybe I will try a craft shop to get some good quality craft paint to fill up the pits and to match the paint as best I can. I tried under wrapping originally, but that still leaves one able to see where some of the pits are (the thread follows the contours), so thinking filling those before wrapping is the way to go.

If I underwrap and epoxy, are you thinking I could paint over the threads? I am thinking that won't show up as a smooth finish. Or are you suggesting just underwrapping where the feet will sit on the rod?

Any and all other suggestions much appreciated.....this isn't a business for me, just a hobby, and I'd like to do a good job.

Rick

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 07, 2021 03:24PM

Rick,
If you really want to restore the rod, cut all of the guides off the rod. Then, use stripper, low heat and a razor blade held perpendicular to the finish to scrape all of the finish off the rod blank.
Then, use finer and finer grades of sand paper until the finish is smooth and then polish the blank with a buffing wheel and white buffing compound.
Then, go over the blank with acetone to remove any residue of anything left on the blank.

If things look good, take the rod blank to your favorite auto body shop and have them paint it with mustard yellow metallic and a coat of clear. (making sure that the body shop matches the look and color of the original finish that you have taken several pictures of - to be able to match the finish .

Then, wrap on new contemporary guides, apply thread finish and return it to the owner of the rod.

It will not only be a goodie, but it will look good as well.

Note - any time that you are sanding on the blank always, always sand from the butt to the tip of the rod blank. If you sand from the tip of the rod blank to the butt, the sand paper might catch a fiberglass strand and rip it all of the way down to the butt.

But, if you go from the butt to the tip, and since the strands start at the butt of the blank and go toward the tip, you won't have the strand catching on the sand paper issue.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: December 07, 2021 06:37PM

Several good directions suggested to take this repair Rick. Probably ask the client how far he wants to go with this? A full strip and restore, or a minimalistic paint and/or underwrap repair for the guides he asked to be replaced? If a minimal approach, find out his thoughts on adding an underwrap (and what color - "matching" or contrasting) that includes the area between the guide feet. A mooching rod is not a "delicate flower" of a rod, and he may like some "battle scars" left on it.

Can you sand the area around the pits to blend the transition, or maybe fill them with rod bond so the thread will lie flat? Good luck!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster