I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

re finish old fiberglass blank
Posted by: Dwayne Walsh (---.ipv6.telus.net)
Date: December 03, 2021 11:21PM

Restoring an old Hardy rod and want to refinish , what do people think of Bullards CPXtra or permagloss any other ideas or products

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: re finish old fiberglass blank
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 04, 2021 08:57AM

PermaGloss is a moisture curing urethane and was made for this type use. Very light, thin, hard yet flexible and never yellows. There are similar products on the market but I've not used them.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: December 04, 2021 02:32PM

Another recommendation for Perma Gloss.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: December 04, 2021 03:38PM

Dwayne,
It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. There is a difference between restoring, refurbishing, rebuilding and repairing an old rod which can be dependent on if “period-correct” procedures and materials are used; and, of course, how picky you are. Personally, I prefer the ultimate protection over “period-correct” and am confident that the modern urethanes are better than the old varnishes. I do not know how old your Hardy rod is or the material used to coat the blank and wraps, if that is even a concern to you. With your mention of Bullard’s CPXtra, I suspect not.
If such is the case, either CPXtra or Perma Gloss would be very good choices to coat your blank as that is what they were designed to do. PG is probably the most prevalently used blank coating although there are those who like CPXtra. I have not personally used CPXtra but have used PG quite a bit on the NOS vintage Conolons I build as well as a number of other vintage rebuilds including the bamboo trolling rod my Dad caught his first and only sailfish with in 1946.
PG is a moisture-curing urethane which is quite durable, fairly easy and very quick to apply, cures (to the touch) very quickly and rather inexpensive (especially if coating more than one blank at a time). But PG is quite “hot” due to the Xylene and can “lift” coatings under it = make sure the blank is completely stripped and / or test prior to application.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: December 04, 2021 06:28PM

Its a older fiberglass blank which I have sanded down and now what to apply a clear coat before wrapping,

Date: December 04, 2021 08:12PM

how hard is perma gloss to work with ?, the blank is 10'10" 2 piece

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 04, 2021 11:04PM

It's not hard to work with... sort of. Do a search here on the forum archives and you'll quickly advance your learning curve with it regarding the application process..

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: December 04, 2021 11:18PM

Dwayne,
As with many things, a little experience with PG will help perfect the end product. But don’t let that keep you from using it; it is quick and easy to use. A cheapie foam brush or a 1/4in thick cosmetic pad saturated with PG can be painted on the blank by starting at the larger end and making one pass to the small end, rotating the blank enough to make another pass until the entire blank is coated. But only make one pass = do not go back over it because it dries / cures so quickly. I actually punch a hole in the cosmetic pad, saturate it in PG, and then starting at the tip, “squeegee” the PG on the blank down to the butt and then immediately back up and off the tip. Yes, it is going back over the first pass, but it is all done within 10-15 seconds. If a second coat is desired, wait 60 minutes and repeat.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 05, 2021 10:47AM

Once you have it stripped to your liking you can clear coat it using Permagloss. This is applied by wiping on by hand using a cosmetic sponge, cheese cloth, or a coffee filter. Wear nitrile gloves and Saturate the applicator with Permagloss. Start at the tip of the blank and wipe down the blank holding the applicator tight around the blank to get a squeegee effect. Only takes a few seconds. Prop the blank against the wall and let cure. If applied properly it will not run. You can recoat, if you want, in less than an hour. Gives a very hard and durable finish that will last for a long time. There is a ton of information on this forum concerning these topics.
Norm

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 05, 2021 08:18PM

I've been quite happy with CPXtra, goes off a little slower.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 06, 2021 01:11PM

Or, sand down the fiberglass to bare fiberglass and then use a polishing pad on the bare blank while spinning it in your power wrapper.

Really, no finish is required for any graphite or fiberglass blank unless you want finish on it.

After the rod is finished, if you wish, just apply a coat of hard wax and polish it down and you will be set.

Your choice.

Note - any time that you are working with a bare blank, always work from the butt to the tip - if sanding, or polishing.

If you go the opposite direction, there is always a slim possibility that you catch a point of graphite or fiberglass and pull it all of the way out of the blank for the bulk of the length of the rod, if you are not careful.

Best wishes.

Note:
Lots of aluminum skinned air craft, have no paint on them to save weight.

For a large aircraft, paint can total hundreds of lbs. which could be better served by hauling that much more cargos or passengers, rather than having a fancy paint scheme on the plane.

Same goes for fishing rods.

A word you have used in your post has been banned from use. Please use a different word or contact the forum administrators.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster