I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Cork handle
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2021 10:51AM

Roger, I picked up 100 rings about a year plus ago for under under $1 a ring and there are flor no doubt. Really really nice stuff. Just have to look around a bit and maybe negotiate with sellers. Have hundreds of other rings that are equally high grade, meaning no one would ask for fillers. They have just enough tiny pits to give it a bit of that cork character but nothing deep. Since my grips have shape to them, I look at the pits and stack the rings accordingly where the pits are either hidden or removed after shaping. I also find that rings vary in weight and with my lighter rings, they are lighter than carbon fiber grips. I use minimal Titebond 3 to reduce weight. You really only need a smidge of glue to hold forever. Someone from this forum was kind enough to send me weights of various types of carbon fiber grips from the lightest to heaviest so I had a baseline to compare. This is NOT at all criticizing carbon fiber grips but I am simply a fan of cork's organic look and feel.

By the way, I also do have some flor level straight ring grips from the 1960s...just have not used them as the ID is too large for ultralight blanks. But I have wondered how long cork lasts if kept in normal room temperature indoors. Perhaps I'll still have them in 30 years but they don't seem to be decaying...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2021 10:54AM by Mo Yang.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 03, 2021 11:11AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > "Flor" is just an example of a word for high
> > quality cork. There is no standard definition
> for
> > it. Large voids in cork are detrimental to
> > shaping it and of course, do make it lighter.
> > Cheap cork has a lot of small holes that will
> > eventually become bigger holes, as it ages. The
> > volumetric equivalent of grips that I have
> weighed
> > of cork and foam core carbon skinned grips has
> > always had natural high grade cork being
> lighter.
> > Maybe those carbon grips were made differently
> > than the ones you have weighed. Does a light
> grip
> > benefit the build? Sometimes, but not always. I
> > also prefer cork over carbon, for now.
>
>
> What constitutes "high quality" cork? What percent
> clear is "high quality?" Is it 90 percent? 80
> percent? 65 percent?
>
>
> .............
A cork ring without very many small hollow holes in it. If you take a 100 cork rings that are supposed to be high quality and cherry pick the best ones out of that, the ones without cracks or the least amount of small voids. That is the best I can do and it can get very expensive. I would call that 90%, sounds like a better term than flor. I really only use natural cork grips on medium light and medium baitcaster rods and fly rods. Spinning and larger rods I usually use EVA or foam core & CF grips. A custom made grip is what belongs on a custom made rod, but there are a lot of great pre made grips that are excellent choices that give the custom look.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 03, 2021 11:36AM

Again, what is the percent clear required? If a dealer takes rings that are 70 percent clear and calls them flor, is he wrong? And if so, on what basis is he wrong? If you don't have anything more than personal subjective idea of what makes a ring "high quality" then you don't have much. Not everyone is going to agree on what is high quality. So in effect, "flor" is whatever the dealer decides it is. Many builders have felt that they got less than they paid for because their idea of flor and the dealer's idea of flor were two very different things.

My point here is that none of these supposed grades are really grades - they're just labels. There is one cork grading standard, of course, and it has both written and photographic requirements for the grades specified. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2021 11:48AM

Good quality affordable cork rings are available, just a simple web search will find it.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster