I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

FUGI VSS Reel Seats.- Handle Installation
Posted by: Ron Beloff (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 29, 2021 12:19PM

I'm looking at using a Fugi VSS 16-15 reel seat on my PB701LXF build. I've never installed this reel seat and associated grip before. Are there any nuisances I need to be aware of for this installation of this reel seat and grip? I will probably use the Winn AR VSS GRIP, KSKSS, and Winn AR WTC foregrip.

Appreciate any assistance

Ron Beloff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FUGI VSS Reel Seats.- Handle Installation
Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: October 29, 2021 02:58PM

Ron,
Pre test-fit the grip to the seat before bonding to the blank. While many may be satisfied with the fit, I found the grip required a little “massaging” to suit my liking; and I was using a Fuji brand cork grip. Of course, there is not much one can massage with a Winn Grip.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 29, 2021 05:09PM

Glue a foam arbor into the reel seat, and let cure. Ream the grip to fit the blank, then ream the reel seat to fit the blank. Glue the reel seat and grip together and let cure. Then glue the grip and reel seat as a unit to the blank, may need to fine tune the fit with a little more reaming if necessary.
Norm

Date: October 30, 2021 04:33AM

Thanks all. After gluing the grip to the reel seat, do I need to wrap tape around them before letting them cure overnight?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 30, 2021 11:03AM

After gluing the handle and seat together, clean up any residual epoxy oozing from the seams. You can use a tie wrap (I use the removable type) to get the seams flush, and tight. Any residual epoxy seepage won’t adhere well to the the plastic tie wrap. If you use tape any epoxy seepage will glue the tape to the grip and/or seat, and it’s hard to remove. If you want to use tape then wrap first with Saran Wrap or wax paper. In my experience, the VSS Winn grip usually fits very well to the seat so you probably will not need to use anything to hold the grip and seat tightly together. I used the VSS 17 Winn grip quite a bit when they first came out. Very comfortable, but they do wear out. These days I use the Fuji IPS seat with the NFC soft touch carbon fiber IPS grip. Really like it a lot, quite comfortable, looks good, and bulletproof. You can use the KSKSS hidden thread hood with the IPS seat. The American Tackle 3K matte CF fore grip sleeve is a perfect match for the NFC 1K CF IPS grip, and the Fuji CTC Carbon thread sleeve in matte twill is a perfect match for the NFC 3K grip.
Norm

Date: October 31, 2021 10:55AM

Thanks for all the help. Since this will be my Christmas" gift, I won't be starting it until New Years day. I like having all the parts and techniques worked out before I start any rod project. I also have 2 rods that need new grips on them and some saltwater rod grips that need some shrink wrap on them.

Thanks again to all...

Date: October 31, 2021 10:55AM

Thanks for all the help. Since this will be my Christmas" gift, I won't be starting it until New Years day. I like having all the parts and techniques worked out before I start any rod project. I also have 2 rods that need new grips on them and some saltwater rod grips that need some shrink wrap on them.

Thanks again to all...

Date: November 05, 2021 04:14PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> After gluing the handle and seat together, clean
> up any residual epoxy oozing from the seams. You
> can use a tie wrap (I use the removable type) to
> get the seams flush, and tight. Any residual epoxy
> seepage won’t adhere well to the the plastic
> tie wrap. If you use tape any epoxy seepage will
> glue the tape to the grip and/or seat, and it’s
> hard to remove. If you want to use tape then wrap
> first with Saran Wrap or wax paper. In my
> experience, the VSS Winn grip usually fits very
> well to the seat so you probably will not need to
> use anything to hold the grip and seat tightly
> together. I used the VSS 17 Winn grip quite a bit
> when they first came out. Very comfortable, but
> they do wear out. These days I use the Fuji IPS
> seat with the NFC soft touch carbon fiber IPS
> grip. Really like it a lot, quite comfortable,
> looks good, and bulletproof. You can use the
> KSKSS hidden thread hood with the IPS seat. The
> American Tackle 3K matte CF fore grip sleeve is a
> perfect match for the NFC 1K CF IPS grip, and the
> Fuji CTC Carbon thread sleeve in matte twill is a
> perfect match for the NFC 3K grip.
> Norm

Norm

I dry fitted the grip to the reel seat. It does not marry up 100% at the tail part of the reel seat - the part that is upswept. Is this a normal fit for the Winn AR VSS GRIP? Do the CFX or cork VSS grips fit any better?

Thanks

Ron B

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: November 05, 2021 07:03PM

Doesn’t sound like a normal fit for the VSS seat with the Winn grip. If you slip a rubber band length wise around the front of the reel seat to the butt end of the the grip, the added tension might make the fit closer. You can send me an email with a picture of your problem, maybe I can give you some more specific advice. I will be more than happy to help. I have found that the IPS seat gives a better and more consistent fit to its grips than does the VSS seats to their grips. With that said, I have not had many problems with fitting to the VSS 17 seat to the Winn grip, NFC CF grip, or a Fuji cork grip. CFX does not make a grip for the VSS reel seats, but NFC does make a CFX-like CF grip for the various VSS seat sizes, they also make one for the IPS seat. NFC also makes soft touch CF grips for the IPS seat, and the VSS16, but not for the VSS16/15, or 17. The size 16 VSS has an ID of about 13 mm, so it may or may not fit your blank.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster