I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Threads and Glues, Expoxy, Paste
Posted by: Tony Vieson (---.cinci.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2021 12:15PM

So just when I thought I was done, behold I've hit another bump in the road. It appears Gudebord was the most trusted thread for the longest time, but that is no longer the case. Mostly because it's no longer made and it appears even if it was, nobody would use them now due to drama around the brand.

It appears ProWrap is the most widely used or perhaps approved thread at the moment.
I'm intending to use size A. I am looking to use a silver metallic with black metallic. Though I might just use plain black. Not exactly sure a black metallic would offer anymore sheen/glossy reflection. Trying to get an almost polished metal look.

Which brings me to the 2nd part/conundrum

I see mention of color preserve? According to Mudholes site, this is used so the thread color doesn't fade over time. Which I'm guessing Okuma didn't use on the thread in the rod I bought because the thread used to be a metallic blue and now it's just white.
Is the color preserve always needed, or is this a result of cheaper threads and/or pour manufacturing? I mean the thread color didn't just fade, it went completely white. I mean it's sorta of still metallic, but for the most part it's just plain white now.

But other rods I have, the thread color looks as good as the day I bought it, but I will also admit, those threads are a plain color or have like a tiger weave in them. So are they not fading because the manufacture did use color preserve, better thread, or is this risk/expected result of using metallic threads.

Finally
[mudhole.com]
Would this be sufficient enough for 2 Rods or would you recommend something different. Brand, type, volume

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Threads and Glues, Expoxy, Paste
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 29, 2021 01:06PM

When Gudebrod was available, and that's been a very long time ago, many builders rail against what they considered its poor quality. We all experienced the dreaded "tie together knot" found in the middle the occasional spool. When you ran into this while tying off a complicated butt wrap, it was enough to elicit much foul language. But, Gudebrod was the major thread supplier so it's what the majority of used. Today you have a lot more options, although many threads are the same product under different packaging. Order a small spool of each make and try them to find the one that works best for you. They all work.

Color Preserver is used to preserve the original color of nylon thread. Without it, regular nylon thread will tend to turn darker, almost translucent. Some like the look. Others prefer the brighter color found "on the spool." Both work. Determine what look you're after and go that direction. Fading is not generally an issue that color preserver has much to do with.

Adhesive and wrap finish go a long way. Even the smallest quantities of either should get two rods built. The only exception might be a longer, larger surf or trolling rod. Anything less is not an issue if you're only doing a couple.

Posted by: Joseph Willsen (---.static.optonline.net)
Date: October 29, 2021 02:40PM

Tony.......if you put a white nylon thread on a black blank chances are that the blank will show through when the epoxy finish hits the thread....even for many NCP nylons.....this is true for light colors in general... Also....just like when polyurethane hits a piece of wood it's color changes, the same thing happens with thread. Sometimes this is a good thing sometimes not. Rule of thumb is if you want the nylon to look the same on the rod as it does on the spool...use CP.....and/or test it.

The metallics I have used tend to fade with UV exposure....CP won't help you there.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 29, 2021 05:32PM

Hello Tony.

The thing about thread is that you can do just about anything with it depending how you treat it, with or without CP, paint under white on a black blank, white on mylar with any color blank, the combinations are endless.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2021 04:08AM

I much prefer Hitena thread. Have had issues with breaking prowrap. Can run the same tension on similar rods and one color will do a whole rod with out issue, next color will break five or six times before I figure out how to work with that particular spool. Have not had one breakage with hitena on about a dozen rods. I use color preserver on all my rods. I got rods twenty plus years old that look as good as the day I wrapped them. Including rods that are wrapped in all metallic. Nothing is a guarantee but if want to greatly increase the odds of keeping original color use color preserver. Another tip is when you apply your finish pay close attention to the "tunnel" of the guide foot. Make sure you seal this well. Seen a lot of wraps that have all kinds of odd things happen when moisture works it's way into the tunnel and under the thread.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 02, 2021 12:07AM

Fish Hawk and Pac Bay still make great rod building thread.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 02, 2021 10:49PM

I'm looking forward to trying out the Fuji thread I just purchased. I've read very good reviews about it, but I'm using silk thread on my current build, as I'm tying invisible wraps.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster