I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

broken rod
Posted by: Peter Genna (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 24, 2021 10:27AM

A friend of mine gave me a project to do He broke his favorite rod at the front grip above the reel seat. I have to try to join the pieces by inserting a piece of scrap rod and epoxying the two ends together. If successful my concern will be the durability of the finished project.Any feedback would be appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: broken rod
Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: October 24, 2021 10:52AM

Make a plug from a scrap rod blank that closely matches the taper and if you can remove the butt cap then slide the plug up the grip end and it will become a male ferrule plug at the fore grip.. Glue the plug in place and then glue the blank on the plug.

You are good to go. You have made a non-removable ferrule connection at the fore grip.

Good luck

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 24, 2021 05:58PM

That is a bad area to repair but it can be done. Hopefully it was a clean break, you can't sleeve an area with splintered graphite, You will have to come up from the back end of the rod with your inner sleeve . IT HAS TO BE FIBERGLASS or it will fail again, I would push an old fiberglass rod that closely matches the inner diameter up though the blank until you see it at least 3 inches above the break when it tightens up to match the inner diameter mark the sleeve at the end of the break. Then pull it back out and cut an equal length behind the mark.

You didn't say how far above the cork but if there is room I would definitely make an outer wrap the same size as the inner one. Coat the inside of the rod with Rod Bond or equivalent, insert the sleeve. At the same time have your outer sleeve on the upper part and slide the two parts together and align the rod.

Once fully cured wrap the entire outer area over the sleeves with thread ( I would use B) your call, you didn't mention the power of the broken rod. Then epoxy it like you would on a guide.

I buy lots of really cheap fiberglass rods at flea markets just for the purpose of cutting them up to make inner and outer sleeves. Hope it goes well for you.

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2021 07:39PM by Tom Wewerka.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 24, 2021 07:05PM

You may find something of value here: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 24, 2021 07:30PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You may find something of value here:
> [www.rodbuilding.org].
> html
>
> ............

Definitely good information.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2021 07:43PM by Tom Wewerka.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 24, 2021 08:42PM

If you use a piece of solid fiberglass scrap extending thru the handle, you wont have any problems.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 25, 2021 01:06AM

I do the plug as suggested above. But contrary to the suggestion that makes no mention of an outer thread wrap, and the suggestion that suggests a 100% thread wrap, I do a 1/2 inch wide thread wrap at the joint area of the splice. The only thing that you need to thread wrap for is to prevent the ends of either side of the splice from splintering out from a large force. The thread wraps and thread coating will solve that issue.

Best wishes

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 25, 2021 01:06AM

I do the plug as suggested above. But contrary to the suggestion that makes no mention of an outer thread wrap, and the suggestion that suggests a 100% thread wrap, I do a 1/2 inch wide thread wrap at the joint area of the splice. The only thing that you need to thread wrap for is to prevent the ends of either side of the splice from splintering out from a large force. The thread wraps and thread coating will solve that issue.

Best wishes

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 28, 2021 04:03PM

I'm curious as to why it has to be a section of fiberglass rod blank to use for the repair, or it will fail? It it because the break was ahead of the reel seat? I ask because I repaired a rod for a friend that had a break just behind the front grip of a split rear grip. I used a section of a NFC X ray blank that was broken during shipping, for the insert. It's been in heavy use for a year now, and as far as I know, is showing no signs of failing.

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: October 29, 2021 05:30PM

If the section of male ferrule you choose isn't exactly the diameter of the inner diameter of the rod being repaired, it will rattle inside the rod. Add tape longitudinally to the ferrule incrementally to ensure a tight fit. I like to cut the ferrule at least 6" longer than the broken splice.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 29, 2021 06:06PM

Hello David.

From the article Tom alluded too from Ralph O'Quinn.

"Our goal is to maintain the 'properties of the rod'; this doesn't mean that we have to use the same materiel as is in the rod. When we made a graphite sleeve, we increased the OD of the rod at the repair point. This increased the "I" moment - stiffness, at that point, and the area on both sides of the sleeve are subjected to a bending force far beyond their capability. So if a graphite sleeve won't work on graphite, what do we use? The answer is simple. Keep in mind that whenever we use a sleeve, we are increasing the OD of the rod at that point. If we use a materiel of the same modulus, we are increasing the stiffness to an unacceptable level and inducing a break adjacent to the sleeve area. The answer is to use a materiel of LOWER MODULUS so as not to increase stiffness, and that materiel just happens to be our fiberglass rods. When repairing any graphite section with an external sleeve, always use a lower modulus materiel. Modulus is defined as STRESS divided by STRAIN. Think of it as relative stiffness. Now let's do our splicing correctly."

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster