I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wade fishing carbon fiber grips durability
Posted by: David Wilson (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: October 20, 2021 01:41PM

I am looking to build a wade fishing spinning rod using size 17 sk2 seat and want to use carbon fiber grips. Does anyone have experience using the raw carbon fiber grips wade fishing salt water? I’m curious how they would hold up. They seem very porous and I’m not sure how they would do in a wade fishing scenario. Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wade fishing carbon fiber grips durability
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 20, 2021 02:41PM

Mine are in no way porous, 12 years or so and they are like new.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 20, 2021 02:42PM

They will not absorb water nor will the core.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 20, 2021 02:46PM

David, are you asking how carbon fiber cores without the surface carbon fiber cloth/epoxy will hold up? I'm not sure what "raw carbon fiber grips" means.

Date: October 20, 2021 03:11PM

I've not seen any carbon fiber cores (they would be quite heavy) so I'm assuming the OP is talking about foam core grips with unfinished (raw) carbon skins.

Posted by: David Wilson (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: October 20, 2021 03:45PM

Tom you are correct. I am referring to the foam core with unfinished carbon skins.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 21, 2021 12:06AM

The skin has to be finished otherwise it will fall off, it is either saturated with resin and allowed to dry if you hand make them, or the skin is saturated with the same resins as prepegged material they make the rods out of than baked in the ovens like blanks.

Date: October 21, 2021 08:53AM

I believe the original poster is talking about a top coating on the skins not the adhesive the bonds it to the core.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 21, 2021 09:58AM

The way I read it is, The soft touch grips are completely resin filled and smooth, V/s Other carbon fiber grips that are Not completely filled smooth and have more texture for gripping, Although still sealed with resin. But the old adage still stands for the most part, Flush with fresh water after using it in salt. So I don't see an issue.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 21, 2021 10:56AM

In my opinion, both types of carbon fiber grips are almost bullet proof. They will hold up very well wade fishing.
Norm

Posted by: Leo A Carrasco (---)
Date: October 22, 2021 01:31PM

I wade fish a lot here on the Texas Gulf Coast, and I have one rod with the carbon fiber grips, and they still look like new. My only complaint is that they feel a little hard after a few hours in the water and my hand hurts a little more than with cork grips.

Date: October 22, 2021 01:51PM

Your hand hurts because you are gripping the rods too hard. Seriously, this is an issue that almost everyone has with the grips at the outset. Because the grips are lighter and harder, they transmit more of your imparted energy to the rod whether it be casting, fighting a fish, etc. With less firm grips, your hand works harder. So if you apply the same hand grasp to the foam core grips, you will get some minor hand muscle cramps. Once you bring yourself to ease up on your grasp pressure just a tad, any discomfort becomes a thing of the past. This is particularly true with fly rods sporting these foam core grips. It took me the better part of an entire season to relax my grip a bit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster