I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A Question on Ferrule Design
Posted by: Joe Trytek. (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 17, 2003 10:45PM

I have been investigating blank design and have a question regarding the pros and cons of ferrule design for graphite rods. If I am using the terminology correctly, there seems to be majority of designs/ manufactureres that use a butt over tip ferrule design for graphite. Is there a reason why this seems so prevalent, and what if any are the perceived benefits of this over a tip over butt design. I believe that bamboo rods uses this approach, but not sure why graphite would use it also.

Hope the expereinced builders can hewlp claifiy this for me.

Thanks,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A Question on Ferrule Design
Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: May 18, 2003 12:45AM

Joe,
The two major types of ferrule designs used by designers working in graphite and fiberglass are the tip over butt (sleeve) and the spigot ferrule. The tip over butt ferrule was first popularized by Jimmy Green at Fenwick, where it was commonly known as the Fenwick Feralite Ferrule. The major advantage of this new design was that it eliminated any of the flat spotting and excess weight caused by the older nickel silver ferrules and metal ferrules of the day. The spigot ferrule has been used by many popular designers over the years including J. kennedy Fisher, Scott, Lamiglas (on certain models) and several others.
The philosophy of those that use the spigot ferrule is that it allows the blank to flex in a more natural manner with less flat spotting than the tip over butt design does. The proponents of the tip over butt design counter this by arguing that in order for the spigot ferrule to eliminate flat spotting and allow the rod to flex more naturally the integrity of the ferrule must be comprimised by thin walls in the ferrule itself.
Kerry Burkheimer once told me in regards to spigot ferrules that "Once you get the wall thickness down to where the blank flexes properly, you have made the walls of the ferrule so thin that you have severly comprimised (especially on light line rods)the integrity of the rod....so you beef the walls back up to gain durability and now the blank doesn't flex right" It's a difficult situation to balance out.
Most blank designers have settled on the tip over butt design as the ferrule of choice because it offers the best of both worlds. Tip over butt designs are more difficult to do properly than the spigot ferrules are, but done correctly they eliminate most of the flat spotting without comprimising the structural integrity of the ferrule itself. It also allows for more wear and tear to take place without having to replace the spigot. As the male end wears, it simply slips a bit more into the female tip of the ferrule. I am sure if Ralph O'Quinn reads this he'll weigh in with his opinion. He has repaired more spigot ferrules than anyone I am sure!
I am not sure about the "butt over tip" design you are referring to. I have seen some cheaply made import rods that use design, but it is by no means a popular design among the quality domestic blank manufacturers. Perhaps you are referring to the spigot ferrule as a "butt over tip"?

Hope this helps,

Andy Dear
Lamar Reel Seats
www.lamarreelseats.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.30.204.153.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: May 18, 2003 09:30AM

The "tip-into-butt" ferrule design is the very poorest yet developed. It is cheap to build and implement and holds up reasonably well for the limited use intended. Over the long haul, nearly all of these types will fail, however, as any wear causes a smaller portion of the tip, to move further into a larger portion of the butt, resulting in play and eventual cracking of the butt portion of the ferrule. This invites more play and thus, more cracking. You can see where it leads.

There are also two types basic types of "tip-over-butt" ferrules, the standard ferralite type where the entire tip is the ferrule section, and those with a "belled" area at the female ferrule. The later is generally regarded as the better (but more expensive) type as it allows for overall smaller tip section diameters and all the resulting benefits that go along with such.

Posted by: Joe Trytek. (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 18, 2003 10:47AM

Andy / Tom:

Thanks very much for the education on ferrule design.

As a further "test of my understanding" of what you have indicated, am I correct in my understanding that Winston LT would be an example of spigot ferrule design and Sage RPLXi would be an example of "bellied tip over butt" ferrule designs?

Yes, it was imported blanks that triggered my question of the butt over tip issue.

Thanks again.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.30.204.244.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: May 18, 2003 11:13AM

I don't have either of those blanks or rods in front of me, but as best I can recall, yes, that would be a correct description of the ferrule designs they use.

Question on a FS76
Posted by: Julie (---.wcta.net)
Date: August 03, 2003 07:35PM

Hi,

I recently purchased a FS76 Feralite Fenwick Rod. Could you give me some insite on how old this is and how much it is worth.

Thanks, Julie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster