I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrapping unsanded blanks, any input?
Posted by: Terje Bendiksby (---.89-10-98.nextgentel.com)
Date: August 14, 2021 02:35AM

For the first time I finished rod from an unsanded blanks (or at least partly sanded). The rough surface made it hard to pack A- thread. I managed to do some nice wraps, without glitches, but it was a lot of work. It might have been easier with doing invisible wraps or using C or D thread, I presume. Is there any trick for wrapping blanks with a raw partly sanded surface?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrapping unsanded blanks, any input?
Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 14, 2021 06:55AM

The difficulty you describe is the exact reason I sanded the two NFC X ray blanks I've built on. I'm still not that great at guide wraps without needing to frequently pack the thread, so aside from not really liking the feel of the blank's texture, I just didn't want to deal with what for me, would have been an added headache.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 14, 2021 07:16AM

Terje,
Yes, it is very easy.

Remove all of the wrappings that you have done on the rod and then sand the blank, and give it a nice polish.

Then go back and build your rod as you wish.

Best wishes.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: August 14, 2021 11:17AM

Terje

I am curious what is the reason you assembled the rod without sanding and/or finishing the blank.

Posted by: Terje Bendiksby (---)
Date: August 14, 2021 11:23AM

The blank has two fine reinforcing strips of Toray carbon fibre wrapped under tension in a cross-weave ‘X’ pattern before as a top layer and I was afraid of weakening or harming these strips.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: August 14, 2021 11:59AM

Without seeing or feeling the blank it would be difficult to make an assessment. My gut feeling is that a very light sanding with emery of 400 or higher will not compromise the integrity of the blank.

Try sanding a section of the butt end ( section under the rear grip) and see how it affects the "X" weave wrap portion.

Last resort ask the manufacturer if sanding is permitted.

Have fun

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: August 14, 2021 12:33PM

D has worked well for me. When using A on that blank I measure and tape off the areas receiving thread and then apply a light coat of PG. It lets the A thread slide into place better. I use this same technique when over-wrapping silver A with orange or yellow thread. The PG prevents the top thread from "grooving" into the silver thread.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: August 14, 2021 09:31PM

Make sure the wrap is offset a little bit from where the thread is being fed from your wrapper so the thread wants to pack towards what has been wrapped on the rod. Go slow and lay your burnisher against the incoming thread to coax it towards the wrap a bit more. With a little practice you can pack tight as the thread is wrapped on the blank. There is a balance point between jumping over the ridges on the unsanded blank and crossing over the thread that has been wrapped. I find that the method I described makes it relatively easy to find this point.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 14, 2021 11:55PM

Maybe backing off on the tension just a bit might help your packing, I haven't wrapped a bunch of raw blanks, but the ones I have done seemed to wrap just fine.

Posted by: Mark D Schulte (---)
Date: August 15, 2021 04:27PM

I'd agree with Spencer. I've built several X Ray and Delta blanks with no issues. I've never seen a need to sand any blank. NFC actually discourages sanding the Xray blank claiming it will take away the crispness bit to each their own when it comes to building rods.

Posted by: Terje Bendiksby (---.89-10-98.nextgentel.com)
Date: August 16, 2021 01:31AM

Thanks for all the answers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster