I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

bang for your buck
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: August 06, 2021 09:29AM

Fishing line companies and salespeople think nothing of asking $125 for a new fly line. That's $1.38 a foot for plastic-coated string. I recently bought two imported fly lines on line - a floating and a sinking line to be used in saltwater. The lines have no brand name on the box.* These lines cast beautifully; as well as any I have ever used. They arrived in the mail in two days. I had no trouble casting either line 90 feet - a 6wt. full sink and a 9wt. full floater. I can't yet speak to the durability of these lines - haven't used them enough - but these full fly lines cost less than $18 each! You can buy lines of several weights and test-cast them on your new fly-rod builds, or have your rod customers test cast different weight lines to see which weight line works best for them on their new rod. * Brand names may be added when U.S. importers name and package these lines for sale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bang for your buck
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 06, 2021 10:57AM

Phil,

These type posts would really be much more appropriate on a fly fishing forum somewhere. Thanks.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: August 06, 2021 11:22AM

Sorry, it won't happen again. I hoped this information would be useful to those learning to fly cast or those matching a new line to a newly built rod.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 06, 2021 12:32PM

I have no problem with the post it fits well with rod building, just like previous posts concerning spinning and casting reels as well as braided line brands and knots. If it saves money and performs well I’m all for it. Just wish he would told us specifically where to get them.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 06, 2021 01:19PM

Phil, do these lines come in hot and cold water types? And as Norman said, can you tell where to get them? thanks

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: August 06, 2021 05:17PM

The best I should say is to search for fly lines on the internet, check out the numerous entries, find one anonymous line at a price you like, and go from there. Personally, I doubt I'll pay over $18 from now on for a new fly line. I have no advice about temperature-specific lines. These days my fly lines are used in Florida, and the no-name lines I have bought so far have performed very well in warm/HOT temperatures.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 06, 2021 06:04PM

I tried the search and found nothing but the usual brands. How about getting specific with a web address?

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 08, 2021 10:12AM

Amazon

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: August 08, 2021 01:13PM

I would suggest the top line costs are due, in part, to high tech material costs, design costs, R&D, etc. Yes, marketing and margin costs are also part of the equation. SA, Orvis and Rio all offer quality lines for $50 or less, so the market is being served. Clearly folks are buying the more expensive lines. As a demographic, fly fisherman tend to have high house hold incomes. Yes, you can get a lower cost line that may perform. It may not perform as well, or last nearly as long, with cracking being a major issue. In a previous post you complain about American Tackle Matrix not being produced in U.S.A., but now extol fly lines that are likely sourced out of China. That seems contradictory. You can buy decent lines from companies such as Blue Halo, also, for less than $50. A top tier fly line will cost $1 per foot, or a bit more. Consumers determine if it is worth it or not. It seems they have voted with their wallets in the affirmative.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster