I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

minima fly guides on switch rod
Posted by: Steve Hendricks (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 25, 2021 07:28AM

I am building an 11' 8wt switch rod and would like to use Pac Bay's Minima fly guides or equivalent. I need counsel on guide size and placement. Any help appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: minima fly guides on switch rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 25, 2021 09:19AM

I was unaware that there were any specialty Minima guides for fly rods, although many including myself do use their regular Minima guides on fly rods. Sizing and placement would be no different than for any other rod. The guides need to be large enough to pass your line and any connections and you need adequate stress distribution. Most likely you'll need about a dozen guides plus tiptop.

Date: June 25, 2021 12:05PM

Hey Tom.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, you can view them on page 26 of Pac Bay's catalog. Mudhole has them for sale. My reason for the inquiry is that when comparing ring size for the Mini to a normal wire guide, it seems like to match the opening, you would have to upsize the Minima to obtain equality, ie sz 3 snake opening = size 7/8 mm ring. I am considering this style of guide thinking that line will shoot through them better than a normal snake...would you agree?

Date: June 25, 2021 12:14PM

No, the line isn't going to shoot through them much if any better than a snake guide. You'd be hard pressed to tell any difference in casting between the two. I do like the Minima guides, however.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: June 26, 2021 12:27AM

Steve,
I would choose REC Recoil single foot or snakes over minimas because of the weight differential.
A switch rod is on the soft side as it is. I like to get the maximum performance out of a blank as I can get - i.e. keep things as light as possible. Therefore - REC Recoils. - especially the Recoil tip-top.
Adding component weight to a soft blank designed for a switch rod will compromise the performance.
Remember - line speed and casting distance is a function of the blanks recovery rate. Using heavy components will slow its recovery
Herb

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 26, 2021 08:59AM

Line speed and casting distance are dependent variables. The fly rod serves two purposes: to act as a class 3 lever to increase line speed and to prevent any slack from developing while the fly line makes a 180 degree turn. Any slack created anywhere in the fly line during the cast will cause a sudden deceleration of the line and seriously shorten the cast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2021 09:36AM by Phil Ewanicki.

Date: June 26, 2021 07:21PM

The Minima guides are about as light as you can get. They do not have ceramic rings.

Date: June 26, 2021 10:02PM

Thanks for the input. I recognize that the Recoils have a good reputation. I hear that there is minimal foot grinding in prepping the guide. However, I am going with a black component theme. And, To be honest, I'm struggling with the price premium for the black pearl finish. Maybe its time to bite the bullet and concede. As a sidebar, I have used and like Hopkins and Halloway single-foot. Unfortunately, I cant find them in black. Does anyone know where to find them?

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: June 28, 2021 04:28PM

Steve, I have built many fly rods, and have used both single-foot guides and snake guides. I was not happy with the single-foot guides, doing much better with the snake guides. One thing I found that improved my casting distance dramatically was using the Amerfican Tackle Microwave Stripper Guides, I found myself overshooting my targets by 5' to 10' on 35' to 45' casts! I cannot say enough about these stripper guides and will not use anything else if the choice is mine.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 01, 2021 01:07AM

A size 6 mm Minima is about the same size as a #3 single foot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster