I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Rainshadow Eternity RX10 Blanks Are Here!
Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.wavecable.com)
Date: June 20, 2021 11:07AM

The new Eternity RX10 cast and spin blanks are in stock and shipping to dealers daily. We've prepared full specs for these blanks including CCS values for intrinsic power and action angle. Below is a drop box link to a sheet with all the specs and pricing. Below I've listed the dealers that have already placed orders and have these blanks on hand or in transit now. Additional dealers should have them soon.
Last Friday's Blank Talk episode is available on our YouTube channel: [www.youtube.com] The entire episode is dedicated to the new RX10 series and has some great great info on builds and fishing applications. We hope you enjoy fishing these as much as we do.

Full Specs can be found at: [www.dropbox.com]

[getbitoutdoors.com]

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2021 02:44PM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Rainshadow Eternity RX10 Blanks Are Here!
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 20, 2021 04:12PM

Great news from Batson Enterprises to include CCS values in this new lineup!

Posted by: Jeff Saxby (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 20, 2021 11:54PM

Reviewing the data the S68ML is more powerful and faster than the 68MXF. Based on my experience with Immortal blanks and the RX8 blanks before that, this surprises me.

Date: June 21, 2021 07:29AM

With blanks with what we call X-Fast action the tips will be of surprisingly soft/light power if the total blank power is fairly high, which yields a blank that can be hard to describe with our old nomenclature. I think the blank is called "ML" power because of its soft/light power tip. If two blanks have the same power, the tip of the faster action blank will be the softer/lighter power. Has to be for the blank power to be what it is. The old SB - 841 -3 is an example of this. Rods built from blanks like this are very versatile, loading well with a wide range of lure weights, getting into the powerful butt fast for handling large fish well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2021 07:34AM by Michael Danek.

Posted by: John Williamson (188.166.3.---)
Date: June 21, 2021 09:17AM

Looking at the new blanks and their power ratings I find it hard to believe that any of them will cast the rated power weight. If I have done the math conversion correctly you are looking at freshwater spinning blanks that will cast anywhere from one to two ounces?? Some seems off.

Date: June 21, 2021 12:03PM

John, what math conversion is necessary to determine lure weight recommendations? What am I missing?

I think the recommendations are accurate exc for what is probably a couple typos, 3/6 means 3/16?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 21, 2021 12:11PM

ohn,

If you are looking at the rod power listed in grains and thinking that is the amount of weight the blank is capable of casting, that is incorrect (and another reason listing rod power by a weight figure is, in my opinion, a mistake). A lot of rod builders tend to do this unless they are very familiar with the CCS.

The weight you see listed as "intrinsic rod power" is simply the amount of weight that a particular blank required in order to take the CCS measurement for relative power. Obviously, the more weight that was required the more powerful or stiff the rod blank is. But it is NOT the amount of weight that the rod can cast. If you attempt to cast that much weight, you'll almost certainly break the rod. Stay with the standard "lure weight" category for that information.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: June 21, 2021 12:27PM

I can’t get the Dropbox file to open on my I-Pad, even though I have the app. Is there a site where I can get the CCS info for the new Eternity blanks.
Norm

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.wavecable.com)
Date: June 21, 2021 12:46PM

Hi Norm,
Not sure why your dropbox app won't open the file. Maybe just try the link in Sarfari? If that fails just sent us an email to batson@batsonenterprises.com and I'll send you the native excel sheet. We'll also have a new product insert coming out in July with specs.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Date: June 21, 2021 01:19PM

Tried it, same thing. I’ll email you.
Norm

Date: June 21, 2021 02:10PM

Norman, I think the specs are on Getbitoutdoors.com .

Date: June 21, 2021 02:12PM

Nope on GetBit, CCS numbers are not on their site, just the usual.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 22, 2021 06:07PM

Order placed for the blank and a few other things from Utmost. And Carol is the bomb diggity as usual.

On a side note. I ran into an availability problem when ordering the guides for the build. First off, I am really disappointed that Fuji stopped offering the black finish. I was going to go with the new high frame spinning guides that Sea Guide offers, but their catalog doesn't list the price in with the item page, and their price list is at very best, a real pain to navigate. That and the distributors they list didn't have the new high frame spinning guides on their web site. So I went with Fuji. Which other than what I mentioned earlier about a black frame finish, is never disappointing.

I used their black titanium T2 guides on my last three builds, and I absolutely love them. And even though they are pricey, I was going to go that route.... until I found out that a couple of the sizes I need are unavailable. Sooooooo ..... I went with the BC Grey with Alconite rings. From photos on Mud Hole's site it appears that they're frames areclose to the same color as the T2 frames.

If anyone has experience with the Fuji T2s and their BC Grey finish, I've love to hear your feelings on color closeness. Also, has anyone ordered any Sea Guide guides? If so, could you share your opinions of them? They look very nice. Do they compare quality wise to Fuji K series guides. And finally, where do I find somewhere that offers their full line.

Thanks in advance for any opinions and help that you fine folks can offer.

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: June 22, 2021 08:24PM

You might find the below review discussing Sea guides version of Fuji's K guides helpful . As far as somebody that carries all the Fuji guides I don't know of any because I have looked everywhere over the past few years for guides that I know Fuji makes but nobody seems to stock them or even list that they're available . I have unfortunately had to go international to purchase certain guide sizes including tip top's that the popular retailers in this country don't offer.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: June 23, 2021 05:03PM

Chris, thank you for posting that link to that earlier thread. Definitely good reading. That thread was back in 2017 and it seems like the availability of their guides hasn't increased at all. Nowhere I looked had the KL-H type guides available. I totally understand what Jim Ising posted in that thread. Fuji spent the money to develop the concept, Sea Guide simply copied the guides. That kind of things happens all the time in the fishing industry. Had Fuji not discontinued the black finish I wouldn't have looked elsewhere.

Oh well. Once again. Thank you for posting that link. I appreciate it.

Date: June 23, 2021 06:59PM

David - Rodbuilders Warehouse (a sponsor) sells Sea guide products, and as far as I know is the only place where you can purchase the SeaGuide XOHG, XOMG, XOG-N, and XOG-W guides. These are similar in style and height to the Fuji KR guides. I think the Fuji guides are a little better looking with the curving and sloped tangle free frames. The XOHG tend to look flatter, not quite as curvy. The SeaGuide guides are also somewhat less expensive and lighter. This lightness is due to the frame being a little thinner, and maybe a little less durable, but certainly lighter. They are very nice guides, but I still prefer the Fuji KR guides. Their titanium frame guides are less expensive than the Fuji titanium guides, and their RS ring is supposedly similar to Torzite rings and can be purchased with their SS frame guides, not just in the titanium frame. To my eye Torzite rings appears a little thinner than the RS rings. I do think Jim is correct, Fuji does all the research and development, and when successful are copied by other manufacturers with some slight modifications. The nice thing about Fuji is not only do they do the research they also tell you how to set up their NGC and KR concepts for best results. Other companies just sell the guides with no mention as to how to use them. If you are planing on using a KR 16H based reduction train, SeaGuide did not have an 8H until it was introduced this year. Sort of an oversight on their part.
SeaGuide does sell guides with black frames, the Fuji BC frame is a dark grey, and looks good. It does match grey graphite blanks quite well. The Fuji T2 frames are darker and more black than the BC frame. I prefer the looks of the BC frames over the older discontinued black frames.
Norm

Date: June 24, 2021 05:20PM

Norman, thank you very much for the response. Most definitely appreciated !!!

I liked what I read from you in the thread that Chris linked, and what you are saying here. I feel pretty stupid right about now. lol On Sea Guides website they list their distributors. American Rodbuilders Warehouse is the ONLY website I didn't check. After striking out on the first three I gave up. I just checked their site, and like you said. There they are. Dang !!! lol Oh well.

Thank you for the information on the color of the BC Grey guide finish compared to the T2 frame color. Definitely helpful and appreciated. And I definitely agree with you concerning Fuji. They're the innovators in the industry for sure. They support their products with the know how on how to set them up. And like you, I think the KR concept spinning rod guide train can't be beat for performance and versatility. I use fluorocarbon line as the main line on all my spinning gear and the KR concept (properly sized) handles it awesomely. I can't even imagine how good it is on a more supple line.

As far as the guide color going with the color scheme I have planned for this build, I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I'm using Alps super hdcc cork split grips (actually 2 fighting butts for rear grip and butt grip) and am planning on using dark brown thread with copper metallic trim bands. I built a rod for my boss as a gift and went with the same color scheme, but I used Ti black Minima guides on it. Man those things are light !!! Loved the way it looked, so that's why I was looking for black frames. If I don't like the BC Grey I will be ordering a set of the Sea Guides with black frames.

Anyhow ...... once again thanks for the response. Much appreciated.

Just a note ......... how awesome is Carol and the folks at Utmost? Crazy awesome, that's how awesome. lol My order shipped the same day it was put in. They rock !!!!

Date: June 26, 2021 01:55PM

My blank and other assorted goodies arrived at my house today, which is Saturday. I finalized and placed the order on Wednesday. Washington state to northeast Ohio in three days. Not only is Carol and the folks at Utmost on their game, but so is the United States Postal Service. Outstanding job all the way around.

As far as the blank itself goes, the short opinion would be, "yeah baby !!!" but I am rarely short when I am excited about something, so .... lol It is super nice. I've hit chipmunks at 30 yards with arrows that were less straight than this blank. The finish is impeccable. With nary a blemish to be found. As far as sensitivity goes, well ...... the only bare blank I have is the one I just received so I can't really make a fair comparison to any of the rods I currently have. With that said, I brought one of the rods I have built on an NFC MB736 X ray in from the boat. I took off the reel and compared it to the bare ETEC72M blank. Sensitivity is right there with the already built rod. The Eternity might be a little more sensitive, but only because it isn't built up yet.

I know it's not a scientific comparison with objective facts that would make you know who happy ..... but in this case, the only happiness I am concerned with, is my own. And I am extremely happy with the sensitivity this blank displays. I expected the blank to have the sensitivity that it has, but what I was still a little leery of, is the power the blank would have. Having the CCS numbers for the blank that Batson provided gave me some comfort, but I have to admit I was still a little leery. I have a rod built on an Immortal IMMC72MH, and one built on an ETES610MXF from the RX9 generation Eternity blank, and the CCS numbers I came up with were vastly different than the RX10 version of those blanks.

Anyhow, I'd say the numbers Batson provided for the RX10 Eternity are, at least for the ETEC72M blank, are right on. I have a rod I built on an Immortal IMMC73ML blank, and my CCS testing of that rod gave me an IP of 605 and an AA of 72. In flexing that rod and the ETEC72M blank side by side, the Eternity blank being a bit faster action, feels a little less powerful, Batson has the AA for the ETEC72M at 75. When I put a deep flex into the blanks, they feel virtually identical in power. I do know this though, with the ETEC72M's tip being a little lighter than the tip of the IMMC73ML, the rod I plan on building will absolutely bomb (if I wanted to) a 1/4 oz tube jig head with a 3 1/2" tube on it

I am rethinking trimming the blank down to 6'10" though. I played around with flexing the blank while holding it where the reel seat would be if I were to trim it down to 6'10". I'm not sure I would like it. The tip isn't soft, and the blank has a really nice backbone, but with the reel seat 4" closer to the tip. it's right at the border of uncertainty. I have U-40 cork seal drying on the grips and reel seat insert right now. When it dries I'll ream them for their 6'10" position and mount a reel and see how it feels. Another school of thinking is, build it as is and fish it before deciding. Decisions decisions. lol

Well, thanks for letting me indulge myself with yet another long winded post. And to the people at Batson and Rainshadow? You hit it out of the park with this one. I love me some Rainshadow blanks !!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2021 01:56PM by David Baylor.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster