I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides and Layout Heavy Duty Saltwater
Posted by: Tom Gardiner (---)
Date: February 04, 2021 10:08AM

Hello all! A friend has asked me to build a rod for him. He will be buying all the components. Both will be 7ft heavy duty offshore rods, one spinning one conventional, and will be used for deepwater groundfishing (cod, sea bass, etc.). I have never made anything this heavy and I'm at a loss on what kind of guides and how many to use on each rod. I would appreciate any guidance that you can give me, because like I said, I'm out of my element on this type of rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2021 10:26AM by Tom Gardiner.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides and Layout Heavy Duty Saltwater
Posted by: Chris Morilla (---)
Date: February 04, 2021 11:53AM

Hard to say without knowing the blank and reel used. On the conventional rod, the amount of guidest and sizes needed will depend on the reel used and the action of the blank. For instance, fast action blanks tend to need more guides towards upper portion of the rod, while blanks with a parabolic bend might need a taller stripper guide to keep the line off the fore grip while under load. Only way to find out what you need is static load the blank with the reel you plan to use.

Lots of variables to consider, but take a look at Fuji mn or Fuji hn guides, alps xn guides, and American tackle Virtus guides for the conventional set up. Generally starting with a size 20 stripper guide, and work your way down from there.

A spinning rod is a bit easier to set up. Take a look at Fuji kw and Fuji mn guides. Static test for guide placement, then do a few test casts. You will have to play with it a bit to find the optimum location for the specific reel used.

When in doubt, make sure to order a few extra guides, because you will probably need them.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 04, 2021 07:18PM

Proponents of spiral wrapped guides report that spiral guide wraps offer great advantages to freshwater anglers. Saltwater anglers battle fish ten to fifty times larger than "big" freshwater fish. Maybe anglers pursuing big saltwater fish would profit hugely from using spiral-wrapped guides on their big-game rods?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 04, 2021 08:26PM

Many saltwater anglers do just that. And the advantage of spiral wrapped rods in terms of eliminating torque isn't a theory - it's a physical fact.

Posted by: David Parsons (---)
Date: February 05, 2021 07:52AM

Take Tom and Phil advise I use spiral wrap rod for deep water tile ,cod ,sea bass wreck fishing and at the end of the day my left arm is not fatigued where years ago my left arm would cramp up on the boat ride back to shore.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 05, 2021 12:52PM

I believe spiral wraps were first used for offshore rods due to the advantage of not having to use a device to keep the reel in an upright position above the rod. The force being exerted from fighting the fish and the reel (and whole rod) wanting to twist down, makes it even more difficult to land large fish. The first spiral wrapped rod that I saw was a boat rod (offshore) from the 50s. At the time (I was a child) I really didn't understand the concept and thought of it as "quirky". To me now, it is the normal way to build a rod. X 4 on the spiral wrap.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: February 05, 2021 02:21PM

A quick online search for a spiral-wrapped saltwater big game rod didn't produce a single example, so it looks like individual rod-builders have a lock on that market. I have yet to see a spiral wrapped roller-guide big game rod, although it seems such a rod would combine the best of both worlds. Is such a rod feasible?

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 05, 2021 02:39PM

Hello Phil.

Yes, use All American roller guides (MudHole has them), I've done some builds.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2021 03:30PM by Robert A. Guist.

Posted by: Tom Gardiner (---)
Date: February 06, 2021 12:05PM

Thank you for all of your advice! I have ordered all components, and I will make my first attempt at a single acid wrap.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster