I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank for Heavy Saltwater Topwater
Posted by: Dan Hoehn (---)
Date: December 09, 2020 09:04AM

Building a rod for a good friend of mine as a xmas gift from his girlfriend. We fish by boat in Rhode Island and both have a full quiver from scup to bluefin so new rods are always tricky. We always have a couple topwater plugs ready to go and I want to build a dedicated rod. Typically throw 1.5 - 3.5oz, casting isn't too much of a concern rather find a blank that is easier to work the plug. Thinking something 7' 6" and moderate action would work. Typically build on small diameter blanks, but thinking glass is the way to go. Definitely a spinning setup with 4500 reel. Love rapid reduction guide layout, but maybe more cone of flight or ngc to get some weight on the tip and slow the action down. Any ideas/insight?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank for Heavy Saltwater Topwater
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 09, 2020 09:47AM

You would slow the speed, not the action by such measures. Slowing the speed generally results in a much less responsive rod so you might want to think twice about such a thing.

Date: December 09, 2020 10:49AM

Correct. All too often I intertwine speed/action as speed describes action. I am indeed trying to slow the speed down as it will help with working the plug. Losing some responsiveness is ok. There is slack in the line most of the time anyway. Slowing it down will help with hookup too and avoid pulling it from the mouth. Basically I'm trying to replicate my 10' honey lam into a boat road. Possible?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 09, 2020 11:00AM

Sort of, but rather than take a blank that exhibits a nice, crisp, high speed, and then slow it down by adding heavy components, I think I'd just find a blank that offers the sort of speed and response you want at the outset. Then fit that one with good components and a modern guide lay-out system. If you can't find what you want in glass, consider one of the lower modulus carbon fiber models. These blanks remain available from a lot of sources and though they're made with lower modulus carbon that doesn't mean they're not good quality - they simply won't have that extremely high power to weight ratio that in your case isn't needed.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.121.hwccustomers.com)
Date: December 09, 2020 11:02AM

Dan,
CTS MAY have exactly what you are looking for in its Slow Motion model.
The standard blank is only made in 6'6". However one of my customers wanted it in 7'6" and paid for the design engineering. The design is now available for anyone who wants that model.
One problem is that you wouldn't see the blank until sometime in January - the CTS factory is closed for a couple of weeks in Dec/Jan for Christmas/new Years.

This is CTS' description of the blank:
[ctsfishing.com]

Date: December 09, 2020 11:22AM

look forward to it

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: December 09, 2020 03:40PM

Dan
Lets see if this works better than before:
Slow Motion has an extremely smooth action in a slim, super light weight build.

These blanks are made from our super low resin 24 ton system. Having a single fibre type ensures that there are no transitions or complex interactions to hinder the progressive loading that can be caused by combining different types of fibre.

Material Grade: 24msi High Strength Carbon, Super low Resin System
Core: VeroCore™ Carbon Helix
Taper: Medium Slow
Action: Medium
Colours: Select from sanded finis

Great - this is the "Slow Motion" blank.
If you have interest ill get you oricing.
Herb for CTS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2020 03:42PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 09, 2020 06:33PM

Sounds like you know what you want. We don't. I wouldn't be picking what you suggest. On the other hand, I'm imagining tuna on popping plugs. So I'm thinking more like Black Hole.

If I was you, I'd build the rod I always wished I could have for the fishing you want to do. Chances are high your friend would also consider it his dream choice.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 11, 2020 09:32PM

Dan, you mentioned liking the Lamiglas honey blanks. I know in bass fishing the mooching blank MB 841 E or F is one that some of the popular crank bait rods are modeled after. I have a new old stock honey Lamiglas 6702 that was passed on to me several years ago that I use for some of my heavier bass cranks. I believe this to be very similar to the MB 841. Those blanks have the properties that you are looking for, but only lures up to 1 - 1.5 oz. That line of blanks also has the MB 963 M, which carries a line weight up to 30 lb. and a lure range of 1-3 oz. At 8', it may be a bit longer than you want, but a trim from the butt for a little compromise might help, but I wouldn't go too far for fear of affecting the upper end of the lure range, as you will be pushing it a bit.It may be worth a look, but I am out of my element with salt water rods. Seeker also very likely has something that would fit the bill as well, but I don't know a particular model to point you toward.

That said, if Herb has something that looks good, I would definitely go that route. When I made it to the ICRBE a few years back, the blanks in the CTS booth absolutely blew me away. They didn't have much in the way of the actions and powers I was looking for that day, but my jaw about hit the floor when I looked at and picked up a few blanks. A CTS is on my bucket list of blanks to build. I just need to find the right excuse... err I mean project.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster