I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Knots and Guides
Posted by: John C. Allgood (---)
Date: October 22, 2020 09:19PM

Another vote for the Alberto knot. Doesn't have the problem with lighter leaders. I find it easier to tie than the FG, especially at night and I fish a LOT at night. Goes through the guides well. I too wind the knot all the way onto my bait casters like Lynn.

FG is very small diameter knot and is supposed to be slightly stronger.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2020 12:32AM by John C. Allgood.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 22, 2020 10:18PM

Tests have shown the FG knot is 30% stronger than the Alberto knot, and most other leader to braid knots. The Alberto knot is easier to tie, but is fatter, because the leader is doubled over and this results in a hard tag end in front of the knot which is prone to hanging up. The FG knot has no hard tag end in front of the knot so it will never catch when casting. However, there are a large number of braid to leader knots out there, and all of them will work. Use what is best for you. In my opinion, the FG knot is the best of the lot, because of its strength and it’s exceptional thinness which allows it to pass through cleanly through any guide.
Norm

Posted by: John C. Allgood (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 23, 2020 12:08AM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> this results in a hard tag end in front of the knot which is prone to hanging up. > Norm

NOT TRUE. If you have a hard tag end in frontt (or behind) of an Alberto Knot you aren't tying it right.

Although the Alberto IS a little thicker, in actual use it goes through all but the tiniest of guides with ease. I don't use the tiniest of guides so it works quite well for me.

The Alberto is definitely not as strong as the FG knot, but it is functionally strong enough for my needs and apparently the needs of several others in this thread.

The FG is stronger AND thinner, yet I find ease of use to be a real shortcoming. The FG knot also is proven NOT reliable with light leaders. Alberto works on even the lightest leader.

You should use what you are comfortable with. Just because someone else doesn't use the same as you, it's alright as long as you are satisfied with your choice.

I am very satisfied with the Alberto but have no problem with those that would rather use the FG knot or the double uni or any other knot as long as they are happy with their results.

The technical term is FREEDOM OF CHOICE and I feel it is a good thing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2020 12:34AM by John C. Allgood.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 23, 2020 11:13AM

Keith, the original poster, stated that he was having trouble with the braid twister knot not going through the guides smoothly. A very simple and logical explanation for this is the leader tag (hard tag) end is facing forward and is clicking on the guides when passing through. I suggested the FG knot because it’s very thin, strong, and with no tag end pointing forward. The Alberto knot (an excellent knot) does have the leader tag facing forward just like the braid twister knot. You cannot tie them otherwise, but you can trim it close. So in my opinion using the Alberto Knot, as well as most other braid to leader knots, is just substituting one hard tag forward knot with another. I was just trying to solve his problem, nothing more. I agree, use the knot you are most comfortable tying. Over the years I have tried most of the braid to leader knots, and for a long time my go to knot was the double uni knot. When the FG knot showed up I tried it and never looked back. I have gotten so I can tie it quite quickly even in the dark, and I freely admit it is not as easy to tie as most other knots, but in my opinion it is well worth the extra time.
Norm
PS - Another excellent knot with no hard tag pointing forward is the Slim beauty knot. I have tried and liked it a lot and it’s easy to tie. It is still a little fatter than the FG.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2020 11:46AM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (4.28.22.---)
Date: October 24, 2020 01:01AM

Though it isn't designed for connecting braid to leader, I use a nail knot, only I leave the tag end of the leader very ong.Then I tie a 2nd nail knot with the tag end of the leader over the braid. Wet both knots and pull tnem together. Tighten firmly. This set up has never failed me, and is very strong..It's also easy to tie, especially with a nail knot tool.

Tight lines and frisky fish.

RJF

Posted by: John C. Allgood (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 24, 2020 12:08PM

My APPOLOGIES to NORM. I have done it so long without thinking that I went out into the garage and retied a leader with the Alberto to be sure. I trim the mono tag end short ( just like Norm suggested)... to the point that it doesn't exist anymore. Hence the knot goes through the guides very smoothly.

Again, I was wrong and Norm was right.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.cdn77.com)
Date: October 27, 2020 07:55PM

I have not tried the fg knot since it looks too complicated for me. On SaltStrong , they say:

“ FG Knot*
Pro: Thinnest knot I’ve ever seen while also having the highest breaking strength.
Con: Requires a strong cinch before cutting the tags so that it fully locks into place.
Note: Only use this knot if tying a braided line to a stronger mono/fluoro leader.”

When I use a Fluoro leader it is almost always a lighter pound test than the braided mainline. Usually something in the neighborhood of 10# braid to 6” leader for example. I may be trying 4-6# braid to 6# leader next year.

Posted by: John C. Allgood (---)
Date: October 27, 2020 10:20PM

I always use a lighter pound test leader to braid. That way when I break off, it's cheaper leader material, not expensive braid. Makes my braid last for years.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster