I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CTS Dedicated European Nymphing Blanks
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 27, 2020 04:28PM

Good news
Stephen Pratt- founder of CTS - has agreed to design and produce a series of blanks dedicated to European Nymphing.
The purpose is to provide builders with the softer tip required for this type of presentation.
I will provide any Member of RB.org. and any person referred by a Member, a 30% discount through the balance of 2020.
I would welcome any and all feedback on these blanks to be sure we get it right.

These are the blanks:
FY1002-4
FY1003-4
FY1102-4
FY1103-4

Thanks for your input to make this happen.
Regards
Herb

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2020 04:34PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CTS Dedicated European Nymphing Blanks
Posted by: Angelo Biviano (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 28, 2020 10:03AM

That's awesome Herb, thank you! I'll touch base with you via email this weekend. Many thanks. Angelo.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: August 28, 2020 11:31AM

How can I tell when a rod has "a softer tip"? Compared to what, and how?

Date: August 28, 2020 11:56AM

The comparison, for CTS' purposes would be vs the stock 10'0", 11'0" Affinity-X #2 and #3, which for CTS fans, are the definitive Euro nymphing blanks. So for those builders who feel that the stock "X"'s tip is too stiff, the "FY" series may be the answer.
BTW - I heard from a friend of mine who is of the opinion that the tip on the stock 11'0" Affinity-X is near perfect for nymphing.
So, obviously this new series will be welcomed by some - and a non-event by others.
Herb

Posted by: Mike Juliana (165.225.50.---)
Date: August 28, 2020 03:30PM

Why no 10'6"? That is a preferred length by some especially in the 3 weight.

Date: August 29, 2020 09:48AM

After reviewing comments about the popularity of a 10'6" blank - AND - that the tip on the 11'0" blank is not too stiff - CTS has decided to start with two blanks:

FY1062-4
FY1063-4

This can be expanded in the future if the interest is there.
Herb

Posted by: Ross Montgomery (---.ipv6.telus.net)
Date: August 30, 2020 01:40PM

Herb,
Will these be available to ship to Canada? I’d definitely be interested in the 10’6” #2. This time of year calls for small nymphs with small beads so a very soft tip is needed but still need that heavy butt to fight the fish. I’ve found that some of the longer 2 weights end up being so sloppy that the blank wobbles all over the place when casting and fishing. I’m not sure it’s possib but maybe something a bit faster in action made of a high modulus material to maintain sensitivy and have the better recovery to get rid of the sloppiness.

Date: August 30, 2020 02:16PM

Ross,
I don't know how familiar you are with CTS fly blanks?
The Affinity-X line that will be modified to design the FY blanks are rated Fast-Extra fast.
Depowering the tip will make them even faster - but should not feel "sloppy" at all.

I have an email in to Stephen Pratt to provide more details.
Regards, and thanks for the interest,
Herb

Posted by: Angelo Biviano (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 30, 2020 05:26PM

Herb, what does "FY" stand for with regard to the new blanks?Is that a model they currently have and are melding with the affinity X? Or is FY what they'll be calling the Euro-nymph blanks? Thanks. A.

Date: August 30, 2020 06:38PM

Angelo,
"FY" will be the designation for the new Euro Nymphing blanks.
I don't know how, or why, Stephen chose FY.
Herb

Posted by: Dale Thompson (---)
Date: September 11, 2020 10:37AM

Herb,
I don't understand "Depowering the tip will make them even faster - but should not feel "sloppy" at all.". Maybe I just don't know the terminology, but I take depowering to mean a softer tip. Isn't softer sort of equivalent to slower (more moderate) action?
Dale

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster