I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Point Blank/Jim Ising
Posted by: Keith Langford (---.health-partners.org)
Date: August 11, 2020 10:24AM

JIm, I called Point Blank but they deferred me to you. I am wanting to build a baitcasting rod for rattletraps and one for medium diving crankbaits, 10lb braid with 10lb fluro leader. Prefer 7'3" if possible or 7' if not. I have a PB731MXF that I use for small squarebills, tried the medium divers on that but I think the tip gives too much.Anyone else that has built rods from Point Blank for these purposes please chime in with your results Thank you.

Keith Langford

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2020 10:32AM by Keith Langford.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Point Blank/Jim Ising
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 11, 2020 05:31PM

Keith, I have the PB731MXF and I find it pretty good for everything. I built mine as a cast, not spin. I have built for my son two PB691MXF as casting rods and he loves them. The description says a "faster tip to implement a clean and erratic jerk." He uses it for a lot of stuff, including cranks and hard jerks.

I think to "fix" what you perceive as not quite right on the 731, it will work well. It does seem to be a little "tighter" than the 731. I always say that one cannot have too many rods, so whatever you decide, in the long run, will be more experience, more knowledge, and more rods. For low tip techniques, length is not always your friend.

I'm very interested in Jim's opinion, too.

Posted by: benjie bates (---)
Date: August 11, 2020 06:20PM

I’ve got all the 73’s from PB

M and Ml are spinners
Mh and H are casting

What crankbaits do you want to throw ?

I think the Mh would work for lipless. Especially if ripping through grass.

I love PB’s but generally not what I think about when throwing crankbaits and haven’t used them for such

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 12, 2020 09:09AM

I use my 731 M for cranks all the time. Usually Rapala DT 6's and 10's.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (208.163.42.---)
Date: August 12, 2020 10:58AM

My buddy builds quite a few PBs for bass and uses a lot of the MHXF and HXF blanks. Those may be better suited to the divers. They have a thicker tip section.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.qwest.net)
Date: August 17, 2020 02:26PM

Sorry to take so long to chime in, gentlemen, I have been away and decided to get some input from our pro, Kyle Welcher, before answering. He uses the 731MXF for medium divers but tells me for most applications the MH will be the ticket for most anglers. Kyle rates the 731MXF as the most versatile blank in the line up: "This is THE blank if you want to make long casts with all of your traditional bass baits. Medium size jigs, big Shakey Heads, full-sized buzz baits. This is the all-around go-to blank if you love more distance on all casts." For me, the 701MF rates number one most versatile with the 731MXF not far behind. The 731MHXF is about 5 ERN's more powerful than the MXF but the bend is in the lower AA range of XF so it's a little more moderate than the MXF. Spool the MH with Fluoro for a little more cushion and you'll not only feel EVERYTHING, you'll keep fish pinned just fine.

Posted by: Keith Langford (---.health-partners.org)
Date: August 31, 2020 11:28AM

Thank you Jim, appreciate the extra effort and explanations. I am really loving these poin Blanks. I have built 6 so far.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster