I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thinking Outside the Box, Ice Fishing Rods
Posted by: Robert Flowers (---)
Date: August 02, 2020 01:54PM

Tow years back, I started building rods. My first rods were ice fishing rods. I learned how to find the spines, and wrap guides. Strong, fiberglass rod blanks are inexpensive, in the extreme. However, after getting premium cork handles, premium guides, and tip top, wrap finish, thread, etc. It's still gonna cost you about $60.00 USD. Why am I telling you this? I used Fuji KL Concept guides on a couple of rods, and Airwave guides on others. I test cast these rods,, with appropriate spin-cast reels for the ice rods. They cast surprisingly well, and with good distance. I tried them on a bay where perch, bullheads, and rock bass hang out. They were a lot of fun to fish. I also tried them on Upper Peninsula Michigan streams, fishing in the thickets that defined small U.P. streams..They were great for flipping crawlers, crayfish, and atrificials such as Meps, and the like. The little brookes, 7 to 10 inch were a lot of fun to fish.

Building on ice rod blanks for fishing everything from steelhead, to buegill can give you a whole new experience in fishing. And fish size isn't an issue. People pull big lake trout from the depths under the ice with these rods.

Just sharing.

Tight Lines, and frisky fish

RJF

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thinking Outside the Box, Ice Fishing Rods
Date: August 02, 2020 01:58PM

Oh, I forgot to tell you, I was able to get 90 to 120 USD for these rods, selling them to peole who knew the value of the uilds. And they reported to me that they loved there rods.

Tight Lines, and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: August 02, 2020 02:48PM

Robert, what a great idea! i make short(about 4') rods for local farm ponds..the rods i use are hollow glass but the solid glass rods sound very interesting..Thanks for posting this..do you have a good source for ice rods up to four feet, maybe solid carbon also..Thanks..

Date: August 02, 2020 03:41PM

Here are a few links.

[www.anglersworkshop.com]

[www.mudhole.com]

[www.jannsnetcraft.com]

You can also get the hardware, from grips to guides, glue, and whatever else you need for the build from all of these sites.

Tight Lines and drisky fish

RJF

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: August 02, 2020 05:20PM

Thanks Robert..

Posted by: Paul Darby (---)
Date: August 04, 2020 01:25AM

Building ice fishing rods in Florida Can cause old men to dust off trick casting skills and get asked questions like "What is that, and what did you just do with it?

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 04, 2020 10:37AM

When I am out on the lake - open water fishing, I will often see families with children using the short ice rod blanks for fishing.

I have seen an awful lot of fish caught over the sides of the boat using very short rods to catch the fish. Essentially drop the line over the side of the boat. When the fish bites, reel it in. Simple and effective in the right environment and fish population.

Take care

Date: August 04, 2020 02:12PM

Ice rods cast well when set up with a good guide train, and are even is good for catching small mouths. They are strong enough for pike, but you woud have to matxh the blank and reall seat for a suitable reel and line weight. That tine, strong blank is great fun when hooking into a big rainbow, or bass.

Tight lines and Frisky Fish

RJF

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster