I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question about Fuji guides (sizes/types)
Posted by: Josh Olney (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 15, 2020 05:15AM

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum. I am currently building my first spinning rod after numerous fly rods.

I like the Fuji BCKLAG guides however they are only in the larger sizes such as 12 through 25. What guides and tip top compliment the BCKLAG so I can get sizes 8,7, and 6 for the upper end of the rod.? All help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Josh

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about Fuji guides (sizes/types)
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 15, 2020 08:06AM

I think you are going way too big for the runners. I suggest you go to AnglersResource.net and read all the info there on their KR guides, especially the KLH reduction guides and the KB/KT runners. Also use the KR guide software for the the KLH reduction train and the GPS software if you choose to use that system. If you use the sizes you are thinking of the rod will be significantly slowed down in its response compared to using single foot KB/KT runners of a smaller size, like 5's or 5.5's max. I use 4's on spin, but unless you're used to small guides, they may be too small for you.

I recommend using the KLH 20, KLH 10, and KL5.5M as the reduction train, then two KB's, then the rest KT's , all the same size, all the way to the end, then an LG tiptop. Locate the reduction train with the KR software (NOT the GPS software) and locate your runners using the two line stress test method also on the web site.

I only use Fuji guides these days, never a problem, and the reduction train locating with the software is excellent. Works well every time.

Date: July 15, 2020 08:14AM

Awesome. Thanks so much for the help.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: July 15, 2020 08:20AM

Mudhole lists all sizes from 25 down to 5.5m in stock. Take a look under spinning guides and the Fuji K series model KL-H for the smaller sizes. Typically the KL-H are what most people use for spinning rods. You can use a smaller ring by going with the taller guide.As for a tip the Fuji Mn series and the lg are made in BC grey alconite also available at mudhole. Some details on what your building will yield a lot more specif suggestions as to what you need and where to find it.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: July 15, 2020 08:56AM

If you are firm with the Fuji guides both Michael's above are leading you in the right direction.

If you want a suggestion I would look into the Pac Bay Mimina or the Mudhole CRB, SSR VXB guides.

For Tips I prefer the Fuji SIC tip they come in different sizes and weights.

Good Luck

Date: July 19, 2020 04:54PM

Hi Mike,
According to the software its lists the following

20H, 10H, 6L

Then is lists 4 running guides but does not mention what types or sizes. Am I missing something? How did you know KB and KT were running guides? I am confused lol. If I go with the following will this suffice?

5.5 KB
5.5KB
5 KT
5 KT

5 TIP TOP

Thanks again for the help

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: July 19, 2020 07:57PM

What kind of rod are you planning on building, and what reel size and line size and typeare you planning on using? The reduction train you have listed is for a conventional KR build which usually uses larger runners, not a micro rod. The Fuji KR GPS doesn’t recommend runner size, that’s your choice.
Norm

Posted by: Josh Olney (---)
Date: July 20, 2020 12:16PM

I a building a 6’6 spinning rod. I guess I’m just looking for a standard size. Would 5.5‘s work in that set up, or should I go with 6’s. I guess I’m just looking for an average size that would work. I’m not building a specialty rod.

Date: July 20, 2020 01:18PM

If you want a more conventional rod with size 5.5 or 6 runners, you can certainly build a New Guide Concept (NGC) rod using a KL reduction train with size 5.5 or 6 KB/KT runners. Basically the KL guide series are used for NGC builds, and the KL-H guide series are used for KR concept (braid/micro) builds, and They both use KB and/or KT guides as runners. They are different guides, The KL-H guides for a given ring size have a higher frame than the KL guides. For example, the KL20H has a frame which is a little bit higher than the KL25. The letter K denotes that they are both tangle free guides, meaning they have a sloping ring and a frame style that will shed line loops, thus helping to prevent wind knots. The difference between the KB and KT guides are the size of the foot. The KB guides have a longer and wider foot and are designed to be used in the mid section (or belly) of the rod to resist pull out forces generated when the rod is loaded. Since the tip section of the rod do not have these high pull out forces the lighter KT guides are used in the tip section to reduce weight. If you are planning on using braid or light mono, I would certainly recommend building a KR concept rod. If using 12# monofilament or greater, I might build a NGC rod with size 6 or 5.5 runners, could also build a KR concept if using mono up to 12#. For both concepts the stripper size used will depend on the reel size and line type and size. If you need further help let us know as to reel and line you are planning on using.
Norm

Date: July 20, 2020 02:05PM

Here is a link by Jim Ising from Anglers Resource that helps to explain the K series guides.
[anglersresource.net]
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster