I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Proper Thread Tension using CRB HWS-1 Handwrapper?
Posted by: Mike Juliana (165.225.50.---)
Date: June 08, 2020 02:42AM

CRB says with proper tension on thread, the tension rod will point at your chest (basically parallel to the table). I've found that if I wrap with this amount of tension, there is no way after wrapping both feet of a snake guide that I can adjust the guide with any amount of pressure.

If you are using the HWS-1, where do you have the tension rod pointing when wrapping?
How easily should you be able adjust a snake guide after wrapping?

Thanks,
Mike J

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Proper Thread Tension using CRB HWS-1 Handwrapper?
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: June 08, 2020 08:18AM

I suggest you try hand wrapping a snake guide on a piece of broken rod blank using a fly-tying thread bobbin to hold the thread spool. Three or four ounces of tension on the thread is plenty enough. Before you epoxy this wrap see if you can move the guide to re-position it. If you can't, cut the wraps off and rewind with less tension, if it's too loose rewind with more tension. Your fingers are much more sensitive than a mechanical winder. Then coat your test wrappings with epoxy and let them dry. Try to make your guide move. Bet you can't.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: June 08, 2020 09:50AM

like Phil says, fly tying bobbin..some people use it with a power wrapper too..

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: June 08, 2020 11:01AM

Mike,
Using any method of wrapping, I wrap the guides tight enough so that I can just barely move the guide using two fingers on the guide. If I can move the guide with only one finger, I cut it off and rewrap with more tension.
If I can't move the guide - just barely - with two fingers, I will cut off the guide and rewrap with a bit less tension.

Take care

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: June 08, 2020 09:12PM

The tension is adjusted at the spool, all the rod does is allow you to back up while maintaining tension should you need to.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: June 09, 2020 10:43AM

I use a very simple spring tension disk to maintain tension on the thread. I do NOT run metallic thread through this device because it worn't work.

But for all other threads it works very well. This tension device is identical to the design of tension disks used on billions of sewing machines used to assemble clothing every day all over the world.

This is the thread carriage that I have used from the first rod that I have ever built years ago and it has worked for many many rod builds over the years.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

If I need to back up the rod to clear a mistake or make a change, I just hold the thread behind the rod to maintain tension until the mistake is cleared and then just rewrap holding tension with my hand until the thread is taunt again and on we go.

Posted by: Mike Juliana (165.225.50.---)
Date: June 09, 2020 07:56PM

Thanks everyone. To me it seems that the rod position recommendation by CRB results in wraps way too tight when wrapping fly rods.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: June 09, 2020 09:23PM

Mike: In my several decades' experience with building fly rods the guide wraps don't have to be much more than snug to keep the guides in place. The epoxy does the rest.

Posted by: ron zimmerman (---.tcso.qwest.net)
Date: June 15, 2020 03:17AM

I have that wrapper and I dont use the rod . I come right from the spool and works good . Just adjust tension with the wing nut .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster