I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

2 part finish epoxy mixing by weight
Posted by: Hitena USA (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 07:21PM

Hi everybody,

We are often asked what is the mix ratio of resin and hardner by weight for our 2 part finish epoxy - looks quite a few builders prefer mixing by weight. In short, the answer is Resin : Hardener = 1 : 1.2 - theoretically, it is 1 : 1.19 but we still recommend 1 : 1.2. The reason is, it's not always possible for builders to mix in that magic ratio of 1 : 1.19, then slightly more hardner is absolutely better than the opposite. Especially those who mix them in a number of drops or in a situation that they are unsure how much of each of them are already in, always mix in a way that resin is not more than hardner (than the theoretical ratio). Usually small bit of excessive hardener doesn't make that noticeable difference in finish but every single molecules of resins that is not participating in chemical bonding will spoil the finish making it sticky and not fixing. This slight overdose of hardner in 1 : 1.2 by weight applies only for our finish epoxy and others will have different numbers. Every epoxy is manufactured in different way and carries its own characteristics by who made it for what, so pls don't use this number for other brands.

Our finish epoxy was polymerized ourselves at our factory so everything was controlled in molecular level just for rod finish. It won't crack at bending over time but not a go if non-yellowing is most important coz we only use minimal amount of UV inhibitors which is another foreign material in finish.

Thanks.

Gabriel Hwang
Hitena USA LLC
gabriel@hitenausa.com
[www.hitenausa.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2019 07:23PM by Hitena USA.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2 part finish epoxy mixing by weight
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 08:58PM

Thank you for the honest reply about the uv issue. Also the education on the ratios

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.61.---)
Date: March 20, 2019 09:20PM

X 2 with Fred.
If you're looking for a great braided line, give Hitena's offerings a look. You'll find a 21 pound braid that is only .006 inches in diameter.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 20, 2019 11:12PM

I've never understood the basis for making something which is so simple, so difficult. Measure by volume. That is how all rod building epoxies (save for the new CTS offering) are intended to be used.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 21, 2019 12:00AM

One word Tom , experimentation , if not for experimentation we would have never found out that we should of left well enough alone.

Date: March 21, 2019 01:34AM

I might have left an impression that our finish epoxy yellows bad, but that was not my intention - our finish epoxy's non-yellowing will be still above average. I just meant better option other than ours is there for those who really need non-yellowing. Since TiO2 in NCP threads, Color Preserver and UV inhibitor in finish epoxy are all foreign materials negative to perfect finish, we are currently manufacturing all our rods on dark color nylon threads without color preserver and our non-cracking formula epoxy, so yellowing is not much of an issue. Cracking in finish, however, is really the last thing that could be accepted by our customers so we try every way to avoid it. You might have witnessed a guide wrap turning cloudy. That happens when water penetrates into the finish thru minute crack formed on epoxy. Another thing very important for us is self-leveling coz we have to finish everything in single coat at factory so we need the best self-leveling from finish epoxy. Our finish epoxy was manufactured that way.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 21, 2019 08:21AM

herb canter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One word Tom , experimentation , if not for
> experimentation we would have never found out that
> we should of left well enough alone.

I'm all for experimentation, but sometimes you have to lean on what has been done before you. After decades of "experimentation" and work by people in the industry, it was found that formulations that allowed the user to measure and mix by volume were the easiest, most fool proof and less costly means for working with our epoxy finishes. Nothing could be easier, quicker nor less costly than measuring by volume, particularly when the products are set up for a 1 to 1 ratio. What problem does measuring by weight supposedly fix?

Reinventing the wheel or fixing problems that don't exist when you could have spent time working on new things, is not very productive.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 21, 2019 09:08AM

Please do not think I assumed your finish yellowed bad. Sorry if it sounded that way ,Should have worded it differently. I was Appreciative of the info and how the uv inhibitors and other additives affected hardening and durability.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 21, 2019 09:30AM

Human nature is such that we must stretch the rubber band until it breaks and that is good that is how we learn.

However over time we get to know how far to stretch some rubber bands and we learn when it is best to stop stretching.

Having said that I would follow the manufactures instructions.

Have fun

john

Date: March 21, 2019 11:08AM

Fred, I'm sorry if I gave you an impression that way - I knew you didn't assume it. Only reason I added another post later was I got a couple of questions from members after this post asking how our epoxy's non-yellowing is like compared to other brands. So wanted to add some more info on that for everybody. I'm sorry if my 2nd post didn't sound right.

Thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster