I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Switch Rod
Posted by: Jeff Mayfield (---.wm.com)
Date: November 21, 2018 04:54PM

Good afternoon all,

I thought I would seek out some advice from the experts on a build I want to do.

I am looking at getting an 11' 8 weight fast action switch rod and have heard that I would be better to use larger striping guides and snake guides for the rest. I was wondering what the general thoughts are from the experts and also what sizes would you all recommend.

Thank you all in advance this site has been great for all of the information that you all provide to the new builders.

Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Switch Rod
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2018 09:22PM

My 8 wt switch is #16, #12 Fuji SiC, 6, 5,5, and 4s to an XLrg loop tip top.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 21, 2018 10:54PM

Not necessary to go larger than you would with an 8wt single hand as the larger portion of the line is outside the tip top. The running line is quite thin.

I also build them with single foot runners.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2018 10:55PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: November 22, 2018 09:59AM

Jeff,
If the rod response is too quick for your casting stroke, you may add weight to the rod tip top.
Utilize a large loop or extra large loop or even an inserted spinning tip top.
This will slow the rod response to allow tuning to your rhythm.
Be aware this will reduce rod response also on hook-set.
You might wish to practice more on increasing your tempo to match the rod rather than slowing the rod to match you.

Gene Moore

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 22, 2018 12:21PM

Jeff
Happy Thanksgiving
Gene is correct - but it begs the question: Why are you looking for a fast actioned "Switch" blank.
Notwithstanding the fact that now almost any long enough blank is called a "Switch" blank - a proper Switch blank was designed to be casted both overhead fashion and anchor-point (Spey) fashion.
To do both - not too well BTW - they were designed to be pretty soft.
You didn't mention how it will be used - but a common mistake made is that many people think a Switch rod was designed to cast both single handed and two handed. That is not correct. As previously stated they were designed to cast overhead and Spey.

Two handed Switch rods were all the rage 6-7 years ago until it was realized that a 9' single hander with a haul is much more efficient than a 11' two hander. Also - if you really need a two hander - it only becomes more efficient than a single hander at 12'.

CTS used to built many 10.5' and 11' Switch blanks - they produce none now. I still have about 4-5 Switch rods in my rack and use none. I even had the top 3 sections re-built to maximum stiffness to use as TH's overhead rods. It was a waste of time and money - too short.

Herb

Posted by: Jeff Mayfield (---.dhcp.chtrptr.net)
Date: November 22, 2018 01:41PM

Happy Thanksgivin to you all and also for the advice.

Herb
I would be using the rod to throw a full sinking shooting head at Pyramid lake in Nevada i am used to using a single hand 9' 8 weight as you mentioned very well but have injured my shoulder and thought a switch rod may make it less painful to cast. I think after reading your response i should really rethink the build. I was told the switch made it much easier to cast long distances without all of the effort of a single handed rod.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: November 22, 2018 04:39PM

Jeff,
Check out the R. B. Meiser 909 CX rods/blanks, made exactly for your needs.

Date: November 22, 2018 05:15PM

Jeff,
Are you intending to use the rod in the Spey fashion - or over-head casting?
How about your backcast room? Is that a consideration because there is little room?
With some security - I can send you my CTS 8wt, 4pc switch and the up-powered top 3 sections for more power that I had CTS build.
It will be easier on your shoulder - but not as good as a 12' + rod.
My email is hladen@hotmail.com if interested.
Herb
U.S. Distributor, CTS Rod Blanks

Date: November 23, 2018 11:54AM

Jeff
Forgot to say the #8 demo Switch is 11'0".
Herb

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: November 26, 2018 01:49PM

Jeff,
I apologize about the earlier post.
Just a confused old man mixing up postings.
If you're nursing an injury a two hand rod will definitely help.
Building the rod tip as light as possible will increase rod tip speed and reduce angler effort.
Try a 9 to 11 foot two hand build. Select the rod blank one line weight stiffer then the line you wish to fish.
Use single foot light wire titanium guides for the upper 1/3 of the rod. Reduce guide and tip top size to the minimum required.
Your sinking line will provide all the weight required for your cast. No need to add weight to the guide train that must be accelerated by the blank.
Lake fishing deep is a specialized technique and few factory rods will do it justice.
Fishing through injury can be worked around and when healed the result will be increased casting distance with the same build.

Gene Moore

Date: November 27, 2018 01:03PM

Thank you Gene!

Posted by: Andrew kelly (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2018 09:02AM

I’ve fished Pyramid Lake several times and I think the perfect rod for it is the Beulah Opal surf rod. It’s designed for two handed overhead casting not spey casting. Much easier on your shoulder for the endless blind casting done on Pyramid.

Posted by: John Van Emmerik (---.sub-174-222-157.myvzw.com)
Date: December 11, 2018 01:17AM

Jeff,
I'm at Pyramid lake in the RV park staying in my travel trailer as this message is written. I have used switch rods here for years as they cast far and don't strain your arms, shoulders and other body parts needed for the hours of repetitive casting required here. Been using 6 & 7 weight switchers from several rod companies and they all work great with the right lines. These are my short spey rods intended for other moving water chores but do a great job overhead casting. Spencer's guide recommendation is very close to my factory rods. Guides seem a little larger than a similar weight single hander and large tip tops are on all of them. I believe larger guides are there to deal with fat skagit heads and loop connections to tips and running lines. Overhead casts with switch rods and a fast sinking line is so much easier on the old bod than double hauling/false casting a single hander. And floating line indie or no cator fishing is a joy. Must get the right lines. Mine are 330 grain #8 Outbound short S6 for stripping and a Switch Chucker for floater work. You don't need a specialty beach 2 hander for the Mid, but if you want one go for it.

Date: December 12, 2018 10:41AM

Thank You for the input to all,

John first off how is the fishing?

What length rods are you using and what would the weight difference be to a full spey rod IE: 8wt switch = ?wt spey? The reason I ask is I got a great deal on a 13' 6" MHX 8 wt spey rod and was wondering if I need to cut it down some, it seems awful stiff in the butt section.

Posted by: John Van Emmerik (---.sub-174-222-155.myvzw.com)
Date: December 13, 2018 01:49AM

Jeff,
With the almost complete overcast we've had and a breeze the fishing has been good. Average one fish per hour but it seems afternoons produce more grabs. Mostly stripping a Tadpole/bugger combo but fly selection here is not technical. Pyramid is about constant cast & retrieve, withstanding cold & wind for hours and luck. At least one fish over 10 lbs. so far.
At Pyramid I really like my Ross Reach 6 wt. switch 11' 3" and also use an Echo SR 61010. Most switch rods are 10 ft. to maybe 11' 6" and then blend into baby speys. Also have a 12' 6" #6 spey rod. The switchers are noticeably lighter than spey of same line weight, maybe more than full ounce for 8 weights. You can see manufacturer rod specs online. MHX are nice blanks. A 13' 6" 8 wt. is a serious stick suitable for big river winter steelies and even kings and it will probably handle a 575 grain skagit head and T14 tips. I'd save it for the heavy duty fishing it is intended for and get a switch/short spey better suited for lighter work. Spey rods are for spey casting and swinging flies. Switch rods are great for spey work on smaller rivers with tight bank cover, will do indicator stuff plus overhead casting. No easy choices.

Posted by: Jeff Mayfield (---.dhcp.chtrptr.net)
Date: December 15, 2018 03:02PM

Hi John

I am going to take your advice and save theMMIX for another build. I have ordered an 11' IM-8 in 7 weight for this build not a real high dollar blank but I have been told it is a descent one. Do you happen to have an email address so I could contact you in the future as you seem to have a vast knowledge of this type of rod and what line to use.

Thank you in advance
Jeff

Posted by: John Van Emmerik (---.sub-174-222-29.myvzw.com)
Date: December 16, 2018 10:24PM

An 11 ft. 7 wt. will be a great choice, certainly for Pyramid and big trout anywhere else, summer steelies, bull trout, dollies. Now days there is a big selection of excellent 2 hand rod fly lines that are directed at just about every fishing situation. You have to match the line to the application and get the right grain weight but it's not hard and the result is a rod/line combo that really sings. Beware....spey casting and 2 handed rods are addictive. I just got a Sage Accel switch 7114 as a Christmas fix.
My email: anyfish@yahoo.com

Posted by: John Van Emmerik (---.sub-174-222-29.myvzw.com)
Date: December 16, 2018 10:31PM

Dup

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2018 11:53PM by John Van Emmerik.

Date: January 04, 2019 12:01PM

Hi John,

I sent you an email to the anyfish did you happen to get it it is from my work email?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster