I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides for a winter steelhead rod
Posted by: Mark D Schulte (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: November 11, 2018 12:36PM

I went out fishing this morning and it was a nice 27 degrees. The one thing I did not consider when I got my float rod were icing of the guides. I picked it up second hand so I didnt even really care. Well now I do! What have some of you guys used for these type of rods. I like the rod itself its 11'6" ML lots of fun. But the size 5 guides aren't cutting it. Also, I have an 8'6" ML I use for tossing spinners that has the micro guides which I didn't even bother bringing out this morning.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides for a winter steelhead rod
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 11, 2018 01:08PM

Mark,
If I am going to use a rod during icing conditions, I go with my rod that has size 8 - pac bay minima running guides with a size 8 pac bay minima tip.

Since there are no rings in the guides, you can just put the rod down to the reel seat into the water and melt off any ice that might form.

For hard core ice fishermen that go out and fish open ice when it is -30 to -40F, I go no smaller than size 10 pac bay minima running guides and tip top.

These are extreme cases for fishing during extreme conditions.

By the way, you can keep a bottle of olive oil in the boat and use a rag that you douse with olive oil to wipe down your guides and tip top every few casts and it really helps to retard the formation of ice.

You can also keep a bottle of windshield deicer with you when you fish and douse a rag into the fluid and wet down the guides and tip with the windshield deicer and it also does a good job to reduce the formation of ice on the rod guides.

Some folks carry a spray can of wd-40 in the boat and spray down the guides and tip top with wd-40 and it also retards the formation of ice.

You can also keep a bottle of shark liver oil with you. Then, put some of this oil on the guides and tip from time to time. The oil will both retard the formation of ice, as well as act as a fish attractant.

------------------------
Years ago our family went west to Montana to visit our oldest son in college. While there, he had set up a bombardier tour of Yellowstone park. I believe that the actual temperature when we started the tour was -47F. But, WOW, what a wonderful way to see the park. With the heavy snow, the vehicles were allowed to go off road to allow visitors to see areas of the park that are closed to vehicles in the summer time. But, the point of this message was the deicing that was used by the vehicle. Since these vehicles were built in the 40s, there was virtually no defrosting of the windows in the rear of the vehicle. By each seat was a bottle of pure antifreeze. When the windows would frost up too much, the driver had instructed us to take some of the anti freeze, pour it into the cup and then pour out the anti freeze along the top edge of the window and let is run down the window onto the floor - melting the ice as it ran down the window. Actually, although a bit messy, it was 100% effective. Even though the vehicle was filled with folks breathing all of the time, the anti freeze would keep the windows ice free for 15-30 minutes. Then the process would be repeated.

Good luck

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 11, 2018 01:45PM

It rarely stays below freezing past 10 am where I live so I have one lesser quality rod float rod for those rare days like you mentioned, and my "go to" rod has guides down to size 4mm. Same with my drift/hardware rods, standard fare with one lower modulus, bigger guide rod.

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.mdsn.wi.charter.com)
Date: November 11, 2018 05:11PM

If you ask 99% of the float rod builders you will get the same answer. Size 8 running guides for the Great Lakes, with Fuji and Alps ceramics being the most popular brands. Size 8 recoils are also an option, but they receive their share of negative reviews among the centerpin community. All of my personal builds have used size 7 ceramics and if you're careful about keeping your slack off the water when possible and keeping a coating of Stanley's ice off on your guides they work fine right down to the single digit days.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 13, 2018 09:22AM

Great info here-shows the power of this forum very well. Thanks1

Posted by: Mark D Schulte (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2018 05:50PM

Thank you for the help

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster