I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod setup for conventional reel
Posted by: Larkin Tully (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2018 06:41PM

This is a pretty dumb question but could not find anything doing a search.
I am looking for advice on rod setup for a round conventional reel (not the low-profile bait casters)
I built a casting setup for my son who uses a large conventional penn reel but never really liked it. Trigger got in the way and the guides, esp. the first few seemed too close to the rod relative to the reel standoff. A 2nd rod for a friend I used a spinning type handle but mounted it on top (for a casting setup) and used a modified set of spinning guides. Seemed to work better relative to the height of the reel.
The casting guide setups seem oriented to the low-profile reels not the relatively large round conventional reels.
What is the conventional (pun intended) wisdom for building a rod for a conventional reel? This is for inshore, trout, whiting, red's etc.. not heavy surf stuff.
Most of the commercial rods I see sure look like spinning rods that people use upside down for a conventional reel. Maybe the big surf rods are different but I'll bet the spline is in the wrong place.
I have about 10 rods under my belt and would like to get it right!
Thanks,
Larkin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod setup for conventional reel
Posted by: Nick Lam (---.lmi.net)
Date: January 22, 2018 08:27PM

So many questions...
What reel did you decide on?
What species and # line / drag will you be fishing?
How long of a rod?
Also, what is your question?

Nick

Date: January 22, 2018 08:56PM

Nick, thanks
Conventional reel
Redfish, 10 lb
7' rod

what setup should I use for Guides?

The guides I have seen for a bait casting are very low profile, spinning start out very high, the conventional reel seems to be in between. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Larkin

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 22, 2018 09:13PM

Unless you are using an exceptionally large (or high frame) reel a size 16 guide should be adequate as a butt guide. If it is something as big as an older Penn 3/0 or 4/0 you could start with a 20. For a 7' try 16. 12, 10 8, out with 7's. Or 16, 10 and out with 7's. Easy peasy.

Date: January 22, 2018 09:45PM

Grant,
Thanks!
Makes sense.
Kind of how I was leaning, appreciate your advice.

Regards, Larkin

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2018 11:12PM

7' rod for 10lb red fish. Not going to add much to Grants reply, I would recommend the same.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster