I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cork drill lathe question
Posted by: Mickey Taylor (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 10, 2003 09:14PM

Just looking at the photo page and seeing the modified grizzly cork lathe, I have a question. How well does a regular electric drill work as the turning motor and does it heat up during use? How long would a good drill last after being used in this manner? Seems like drills are meant for short term bursts and not continuous duty. I would be afraid I'd burn mine out.

Also, what about cordless battery powered models. Would sure be convenient but I'd guess they won't run very long in continuous duty mode?

I'd like to pick up one of these grizzly lathes but if I have to buy a new drill every month it might not be such a great deal after all. Just curious of what to expect. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cork drill lathe question
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 10, 2003 10:58PM

Mickey,
If you plan to buy the Grizzly lathe you might as well order their drill that fits through the mounting hole. The new drills that are sold now do not fit well. I have had a drill that I have used for about 20 years. I used to turn all of my handles after gluing the cork rings on the blank. I started building rods when we were still using fiberglass blanks and there weren't any preglued grips availabble in my area. You don't run the drill continuously while turning a grip. You are constantly stopping to check the diameter of the grip. I have a Grizzly lathe and mounted my old drill and it still works like a charm.

Posted by: Noel Spann (64.132.33.---)
Date: April 10, 2003 11:07PM

Mickey,
I also have a Grizzly Hobby Lathe and use the drill they supply for this application, it is a 1/2" heavy duty drill. It does sound kind of rough but it is a good drill so far, haven't had any problems. I even used it on Wednesday morning to put up my new garage doors then later that evening used it to shape some cork, what versatility. Anyway, I do recommened the lathe and drill plus a set of Andy's (Lamar Reel Seats) mandrels. Good Luck, Noel

Posted by: Gerald w. McCasland (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 11, 2003 05:32AM

I also have the Grizzly hobby lathe and the Grizzly half inch drill, which I have used to turn several grips. So far no problems. I have not noticed the drill heating up at all. Isearched all over San Antonio when I first got the lathe for a drill with the right size neck that would fit the lathe clamp. So I went ahead and ordered the Grizzly drill. Wouldn't you know that I had four drills when I bought the lathe and none of the would fit. If you are going to order the lathe you might as well bite the bullet and order the drill at the same time. Of course you are going to need a set of Andy's mandrells in order to make everything work properly.

Gerald Mc

Posted by: Mike Schneilein (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 11, 2003 12:35PM

Hello, I am going to buy the grizzly too with the 1/2 drill. Can you tell me where I can buy some of andy's mandrells? Also in the pic on the photo page there is a extra bearing on the grizzly to put a rod threw.Do you know anything about that? Thanks Mike.

Posted by: Jeremy Parratt (---.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net)
Date: April 11, 2003 03:42PM

Mike,
Andy Dear is Lamar Reel Seats.Link to the left. That is where to get the mandrels
Jeremy

Posted by: Mitch Bergquist (---.dialup.scc.net)
Date: April 11, 2003 04:19PM

Can anyone tell me what kind of a price you get for the Grizzly
cork lathe. or if by chance you know of any other " cork lathe )
I just wany something that will work on cork. Turning wood is to
hard for me, with one (1) hand don't work, so I just stay with cork.
If anyone can lead me in the correct direction for a cork lathe
it would help me alot.
Mitch Bergquist Thank's agian.
"the one arm rod man"

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.WLDF.splitrock.net)
Date: April 11, 2003 04:57PM

I think it's under $50.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.WLDF.splitrock.net)
Date: April 11, 2003 06:46PM

... but that does not include a drill to power it with.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster