I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rod storage
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 14, 2017 02:46PM

I have a bunch of fishing rods. I just finished attaching a cieling rack hanger in my garage to store them horizontally. I have previously stored all my rods upright or in a tube. Will prolonged two-point horizontal storage harm graphite blanks?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod storage
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 14, 2017 03:56PM

Phil,
Likely not, but why not use a box.

Are you speaking of a fishing rod with or without a reel attached.

If you get a 10 foot long cardboard box, you can put in 50 rods if the box is deep enough and by having a cover on the box will keep the rods free of dust, dirt, and rodent damage.

Never know if and when a mouse might get in and start chewing on a nice juicy cork handle.

If you wanted to be sure to avoid the problem, you could use 3 supports for horizontal storage rather than 3. But, if the rod is fully supported in a box there will be 0 chance of damage and or dirt on the rod.

Good luck

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 14, 2017 03:59PM

yes it can cause the blank to warp if it is or gets to warm where they are stored.
the best way is to up right with no pressure on the blank
even with the new bonding agents for the blanks it still will react like storing records flat they will eventually warp

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 14, 2017 06:02PM

Storing rods horizontally with only two suspension points is likely to cause warping. Where I live it gets hot in the summer and high in the garage gets pretty hot, not a good place to store rods.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 14, 2017 07:21PM

8 ft vinyl fence post with caps on both ends works for me for transport and storage.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 15, 2017 07:52AM

Good idea David.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 15, 2017 08:51AM

If you like garage storage it's a piece of cake to build the vertical storage racks similar to those sold commercially, with the slanted board at the bottom where a horizontal dowel goes across to gently accept the butt and slightly preload the tip to the back, then up about 3 feet have another dowel go across to provide a resting place for the blade of the rod. Simply build these along the walls inside the vertical joists, or whatever they are called. Easy in, easy out, easy to see what you have, easy to get just one out. No chance of warping, IMHO. The other ideas with all the rods together in a closed container are fine for protecting the rods, but not so good for seeing what you have and selecting rods. The storage I describe allows either just rods or rods with reels. A plastic sheet hanging from above keeps most dust off but still allows easy access. If not clear, I can take a photo and post, but you'll see racks like this at the stores like Cabela's.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 15, 2017 09:19AM

Access, visibility, and separation are issues and I have limited wall space. I imagine (hope) warping would take place over a a period of years rather than months. Does anyone have a photo of a rod warped by a two-point horizontal storage so I can weigh the damage versus other options? Most of my rods are for salt-water use.

Posted by: John Shear (199.116.173.---)
Date: August 15, 2017 10:29AM

Thanks for starting this thread Phil. I have been thinking about a good way to store blanks in my basement, better than leaning against the wall. A simple horizontal rack hanging a short distance down from the ceiling joists would be out-of-the-way.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 15, 2017 12:27PM

If you are set on horizontal storage, increase the suspension points to 3 or 4, that will reduce the risk of warping.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: August 15, 2017 05:01PM

Phil

I store my built rods horizontally in my basement with cup hooks on 2 thin strips of wood mounted across the floor joists. The wood strips are spaced about 4' apart. The rods I store are all 6' to 7' long light and medium spinning rods. The rod is hooked on the 1st cup hook right in front of the foregrip. It doesn't get hot in my basement. I have never had a problem with warping rods in the last 15 years or so! I store my blanks in 6' to 7' cardboard shipping tubes attached between the floor joists. It all works well for my storage situation.

Rog

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 15, 2017 05:15PM

No reason a person cannot do a combination of these ideas.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 15, 2017 10:13PM

I store all my Surf rods (up to 13'6") in my Garage without a Problem

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: August 18, 2017 07:52AM

Out of curiosity...have any of the "they're gonna warp" crowd ever stored a rod horizontally, like the OP suggests, and suffered a warp?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 18, 2017 07:45PM

I've never had a graphite rod warp, but I set a certain amount of rod racks up spaced for what I anticipate will go there. I have some spaced for my salmon/steelhead rods, fly rods, and shorter stuff like boat, bass and trout rods. Set up is simple, butt than the next one about 3/5 the distance of the rod. Haven't used more than two total on any rod. I left enough room at the butt to move the rod back and forth on the rear grip length to miss a guide, etc.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 20, 2017 12:04PM

JAY Those rods in my post are hanging in a uninsulated metal garage, have not had any problems with warp or bending. They are heavier rods most rated over 6 OZ. Been hanging like that for years

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: August 20, 2017 01:24PM

Barry Thomas Sr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> JAY Those rods in my post are hanging in a
> uninsulated metal garage, have not had any
> problems with warp or bending. They are heavier
> rods most rated over 6 OZ. Been hanging like that
> for years

Barry, I have confidence in horizontal storage as well. Common sense says to me that if you store them without a belly in the blank, then it is impossible for them to develop a permanent belly or warp. Support the thing where it weighs the most & it'll be very difficult to screw it up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster