I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

brand new to this
Posted by: Bob Ruff (---.dhcp-dynamic.on.FibreOP.ca)
Date: April 08, 2017 10:37AM

Brand new to this whole thing, but I'm thinking this would be the winter hobby I've been looking for! I'm looking at a starter kit for my son, I think him building a rod of his own would be a great way for us to pass the winter months. I've been looking at mudhole and they have MHX starter kits that would definitely look great for my son, a good quality rod and a great look that he'd love showing off! A few questions though....

The kit I'm looking at includes a MHX reel, listed as a 5+1 BB setup. Does anyone have experience with these reels? Who makes them? are they a decent quality? As a comparison, he currently has a quantum accurist PT reel. Does it compare? IT would be nice to have a matching look reel, but not if it's not any good.

Mudhole has dipped marbled seats, do these hold up, or is the paint going to disappear quickly?

The starter kit they have for 149, does it have everything I need?

I'm sure I'll be asking a ton more questions in the future, thanks for having me!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: brand new to this
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 08, 2017 01:09PM

I've no experience with Mudhole's kits, and will not express an opinion about the components other than to say it appears that Mudhole does a good job packing a lot of value into modestly priced kits.

Does it have everything you need? No. You will need epoxy adhesive, thread, thread finish, mixing cups, brushes, etc. As you have a reel, an alternative is a kit without a reel but with the consumables (adhesive, thread, etc.) you will need.

And if you get stuck on a problem, lots of folks on this forum willing to share.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.lightspeed.wpbhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 08, 2017 03:32PM

I'm interested in hearing how good the reels are too. I'm thinking about buying one, but would really know how they hold up. Hopefully someone who has one will post a review.

I bought a st croix kit from mudhole for my first build, but they didn't include reel, epoxy, thread and such.. It included the blank, grips, arbor/reel seat and guides. The rod was pretty good until I got stupid and broke it. My own fault though. I was snook fishing with a 6-12lb rod in a spillway and grabbed a foot under the tip, pulled on it,. and it broke in my hand(stupid I know). Caught a couple 15+ lb snook on it before it broke though.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-159.myvzw.com)
Date: April 08, 2017 04:44PM

Hi Bob,

You will receive plenty of answers here, but your best bet for knowing what you need in addition to the kit, is to call Mudhole and speak with them. They would be happy to talk you through what you will need to order. And I believe their catalogue may even have some building instructions.

That being said, I recommend you order a box of number 11 scalpel blades with a handle. The blades are clean right out of the wrapper, sharp, and are easy to hold and cut with.

Take care,

Chris

Posted by: Bob Ruff (---.dhcp-dynamic.on.FibreOP.ca)
Date: April 08, 2017 05:52PM

Thanks for the info guys! What I'd really like to find in a nice high end blank shorter than 6 feet, and nobody seems to be going that way anymore. One of my favorite rods as a kid was a 5'9" med/light action jigging rod. Now everything in that action seems to be 6'6" or longer......

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 09, 2017 02:05AM

What you are looking for is called a shooter Rod so give MudHole a call and tell them what you are looking for in a kit and thay my be willing to sub the blank for the kit that you need.

[www.mudhole.com]

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.42.---)
Date: April 09, 2017 12:18PM

I believe the reels are customized Okuma reels, they have been selling them for some years now. Nothing that Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops hasn't done for decades.

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.115.230.21.res-cmts.mtp2.ptd.net)
Date: April 10, 2017 07:49AM

I started off with a CRB turnkey kit and it came with everything I needed to get started. It has the basic stuff that you need to build a rod. I have since purchased numerous other things to improve my rod building. I dont know anything about the marbled seats. I know you can do it yourself but havent marbled a reel seat as of yet. I have marbled eva and the rod blank with some pretty neat results. Cant speak to the MHX reels either. Like Spencer mentions, you might be better off just ordering a Cabela's reel. I have a salt striker that I use for bluefish, cheap reel but gets the job done.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 10, 2017 11:37AM

Hey Everyone

Just wanted to touch base on a few things in this thread.

We have multi-option rod kits that allow you to basically pick your rod, handle type and material, application (spin/cast) and even your guide colors. They can be found here:

[www.mudhole.com]

They do not come with supplies - If you need an all-in-one starter type supply kit - I would suggest this (our best seller):

[www.mudhole.com]

We also have some great turnkey kits (rod kits plus all the supplies) well priced to help people get started - here:

[www.mudhole.com]

As far as the MHX reels - we have our Pro Staffers test our blanks AND reels prior to release - they are alot of reel for that price and can be found here:

[www.mudhole.com]

Thanks all - tight lines!

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster