I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Surfbottomfly Rods
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 13, 2017 02:35AM

While this may appear to be new topic it is actually my attempt to stoke the fire and continue Mathew Paul’s previous post “Some potential customers till” from a few days ago in fear the fire was dwindling too low. The heading for the post is quoted from Michael Harmon’s reply within that post which has made me laugh hysterically for the past few days each time I think about it to the point that strangers must think I am nuttso (a completely different subject). Thank you to both Mathew and Micheal!!!
After reading and rereading all the replies, I would like to contribute additional thoughts and experiences. I was possible rather harsh in using the general term “ignorant” rather than uninformed. We are all guilty of wanting, more exactly wishing, something for nothing. That still does not excuse the ignorant bas*^#ds! But there is another type of customer far below the innocently uninformed and indecently ignorant. Those are the ones who have no problem with whatever price you shoot at them yet, possible because of such, appreciate your abilities and effort the least. OOSS (which in itself is quite apropos or succinct for them) = Over Opulent Status Seekers. Do not get me wrong. Any craftsman with a wealthy patron who truly appreciates and understands the craftsmanship involved is fortunate indeed, the patron as well. In the previous post, Chuck McIntyre stated it quite well, “My best customers have always been those that find a way to pay it,even if they sacrifice something else and maybe make payments. They get my skills worth for their money and my time. And maybe then some...”
I was fortunate to have a prosperous, self owned and run automotive glass shop from the mid 80s to early 2000s. While “Slapping in windshields” was the overall money-maker, I developed a western states reputation of quality hot rod and show car glasswork. There can be STUPID MONEY spent on many of these vehicles. As far as I am concerned, 75% of the owners did not deserve the car they simply opened up their check books to. In contrast, I prostituted myself to those building theirs themselves, at least to some extent. When asked by that LOWER 25% as to why I refused to work on their car, my simple reply was, “Because you can only afford to.”

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Surfbottomfly Rods
Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: January 13, 2017 04:16AM

I guess we all have the same problem with uninformed customers .What I do when I "told" what the customer will pay .My answer is "If you had to call a plumber or electrician how much as hour would you be paying .Down here in Oz the going rate is $90-100 dollars so I've used that as the figure to charge & base my quotes on that . When I get an argument that is too expensive for a rod I tell them that they are paying for my skill & knowledge exactly the same if they wanted a plumber.electrician or mechanic.What the customer of those trades is paying for their skill &their knowledge of fixing the problem. To date I've not had any reason to change my ideas .10 years ago when I retired I was earning in the $60,000 - $70,000 range so why would I charge for any less all I'm doing is keeping up with inflation .I also add the proviso "That if they're not happy the there's a tackle shop not far away & they can buy one over the counter .Just as a side issue I always insist on a deposit that consists of the cost of parts at retail rates .

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 13, 2017 07:54AM

Charing by the hour eventually penalizes yourself. As you get better and more proficient, you'll make less and less. Remember that someone like an auto mechanic doesn't charge by the actual time it takes him to do something - he charges the hourly rate and the number of hours the charge book lists for each job, regardless of how many hours it actually took him to do the job.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 13, 2017 09:49AM

Highly priced custom rods (and even factory-made rods) have an "advantage" for some customers which is seldom mentioned: their high price. This enables the owner, like Minnie Pearl, to flaunt the cost of his fishing pole. Much of America's retail trade today is based upon this principle. The problem with custom-built rods is the most efficient and the most elegant are usually the least spectacular in appearance: muted colors, short wraps, thin trim bands, etc.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 13, 2017 09:53AM

when I posted that I charge 25.00 per hour to assemble their parts they purchased and they never had considered everything it required to do the job and I would ask them what about the rest of the parts are like the winding checks,butt cap, glue, threads,finish,tape, hand tools, solvents, they would pitch a fit and say something totally stupid like don't you include that in your price? I simply say NO and they say it will cost me another 30-50 dollars for that and pay you another 225-325 to build it,
I costed out the blank and handle and guide parts and I would be spending 275-350 on that me YES and the other things aren't free for me either is my time and skills that is what your paying for the same as you get paid by your employer for your work. they look at you like a deer in the head lights. and I say how many dollars do you want to spend if it is anything less than the cost of parts and labor wal mart has a whole bunch of average low end rods from 15-100 dollars.
That is why I just laugh at them.

I do get the customers that understand what they are paying for and the skills involved and appreciate my talents and are return customers and have been my best sores for new build customers. It is for sure a niche market and not for champagne tastes with a beer pocket book !!
It is full blown winter here and I have 2 builds to do and 1 bamboo repair and a request for a couple heavy jigging ice rods for trout,salmon, Green Bay monster walleyes I have work to do and don't like to waste my time with whistling tire kickers

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster