I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ducket Rod repair
Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 29, 2016 05:25PM

Repairing a broken micro guide on a Boyd Duckett rod and having difficulty matching up the gray thread. I have six shades here and none seem to cut it. Does anyone know what brand and color of gray they are using or if someone has repaired one and can tell me what you used it would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ducket Rod repair
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: September 29, 2016 05:32PM

Tom,
I've not fixed the Duckett's as of yet but in the past I have placed a call to the company and they have been very helpful in getting the right shade needed for a seamless repair, especially Loomis and St. Croix.

Tom

Date: September 29, 2016 07:04PM

Thanks Tom........I have done that in the past with good success , just thought it might be easier to get it straight from someone that has already done it. If no help comes I will definitely call.

Tom

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.lightspeed.nsvltn.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 29, 2016 10:03PM

I've repaired several duckett rods. I repaired one about 2 weeks ago, i'm not sure what the label said, maybe ghost but not sure, but nonetheless it had gray threads. When I started taking the thread off the old guide, I noticed that Duckett was also using a gray paint to paint the ends at both sides of the wrap. I know it was paint, because I also had to scrape it off of the white blank. i can only think of doing this to clean up the sloppy wrap jobs. it was almost as if someone had taken a gray sharpie and while the rod was rotating (prior to finish), let it touch down near the wraps to give it a straighter look. I told the guy I repaired it for that it wouldn't be a perfect match, and the guide foot would show through some because I rarely use color preserver. This person was fine with that. I had 3 grays on hand, and nothing was perfect.

Date: September 30, 2016 06:48PM

Jeremy
I have done several as well and what you said it true. When you pull the threads off there remains a gray ring around the rod. It is in the epoxy and my first thoughts were that the thread die bled onto the epoxy resin. Whatever, it is the biggest pain in the _*&%$ to get off. I have one here that the tackle shop I do repairs for wants all the guides replaced with Fuji "K" guides. That's thirteen guides and a very time consuming process. I am almost os the thought of telling them that don't bring my any more Duckett rods.

I called the factory and was told that I can get the thread from mudhole. I have every shade of gray that Pro Wrap makes and i can tell you it doesn't match. I ordered some Fuji light gray from Kevin @ Get Bit so we'll see how that works. it looks lighter than the pro wrap.

Date: October 04, 2016 09:49AM

Just a follow up on the thread in case anyone else has a repair on the Duckett rods. I just got some Fuji poly 019 in light gray and used it on the rod without cp. It is almost an exact match to the color of the original .

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: October 05, 2016 01:46PM

I have replaced all the guides on about a dozen Duckett rods. They paint the White and the Gray thread. They have either 11 or 13 size 3 guides on them , depending on the length of the rod. My clients hate the guide train setup. I will change the first 3 guides to a larger size just to get a smoother transition coming off the reel . I will also move the first guide from the tip back to 3 1/2 inches instead of the 1 1/2 inches from the factory. Most of the guides are wrapped about two thirds the way up the foot causing them to get pulled out from under the wraps with little effort. I have lost count of how many single guides I have replaced and or re-wrapped. And yes, the gray paint is really hard to get off the blank. If I can't get all the paint off I will wrap over the remaining specks of paint making the wrap a tad longer, looks fine.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 05, 2016 06:35PM

I have also replaced all the guides on numerous Duckett rods, as well as replacing a bunch of guides that pulled out in the middle of the rod. These rods.must have been a reason the locking wrap was invented as well as belly guides. I have more size 3 micro guides than I will ever use. Replaced these guides with the Fuji KR guides.
Norm

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: October 05, 2016 07:10PM

I have two at my shop now. Done a few in the past by not many.
Several have been to replace the weird shapped cork grips with Winn grips. One i am doing is likec
you guys a simple guide repair but the other is a full replacement using Fuji K series. And like J.B. I am transitioning down to 4.5 guides at the upper end. In trying to get all of the discoloured epoxy off it scratched the white and irepainted because the light gray is translucent . What a royal pain. I don't see me wasting my time on any more of these cheap rids

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: October 05, 2016 07:15PM

I have two at my shop now. Done a few in the past by not many.
Several have been to replace the weird shapped cork grips with Winn grips. One I am doing is like you guys a simple guide repair but the other is a full replacement using Fuji K series. And like J.B. I am transitioning down to 4.5 guides at the upper end. While trying to get all of the discoloured epoxy off, it scratched the white and I repainted because the light gray is translucent . What a royal pain. I don't see me wasting my time on any more of these cheap rods it's not cost effective for the owner.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster