I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for repair advise on Split Spinning Reel seat
Posted by: John Menken (205.174.184.---)
Date: September 06, 2016 09:56AM

Hello everyone,
Awhile back I built a split reel spinning rod on a MHX CB841. I used a Fuji SKSPSM Split Spinning Reel Seat and now the smaller piece (the one closest to the tip) has loosened and spins freely around the blank. I've never had any component come loose on me before so this is a new experience. As I spin it around the blank and move it up and down a bit I notice an adhesive residue remains that I can rub off with my fingers. The arbor that was used in this build was a black one and not the white style that I'm used to using if that makes any difference. If I rod bond it up again I'm worried that the residue might interfere with the bond. It is still a pretty tight fit around the blank. How should I go about fixing this? Many thanks. ~John M.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for repair advise on Split Spinning Reel seat
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 06, 2016 11:09AM

John,
I would tape off the area where the component is to fit, assuming that you can move it out of the way. Then, use the gray sanding sponge to cut through the gloss on the rod blank and to insure that all adhesive is gone. Then, slide the component as far up the rod that you can to allow you to slip a piece of very fine sand paper between the component and the blank. Use this sand paper to remove any adhesive that is on the inside of the component.

When cleaned up and all sanding dust removed, mix up a batch of slow drying epoxy and make sure that the batch is well mixed. Before putting any glue on the blank, put a piece of tape over the reel slot to avoid getting any glue into the reel seat.

Then, slide the component as far up the blank as you can and apply a generous coat of glue on the blank and work the component up and down to insure that the inside of the component is well coated with epoxy. Then, do the final placement and clean up all excess glue.

Re: Looking for repair advise on Split Spinning Reel seat
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 07, 2016 10:02AM

We have seen this before when builders overlook the fact that the SK2 and other split seats, unlike a regular seat, have absolutely nothing holding the two pieces together. This can be a problem when someone thinks that a reel should be tightened with enough torque to hold a wheel on a semi. Regardless of the quality of the bond, it is possible to wrench the two pieces apart. My solution is a small thread ramp fore and aft. One ahead of the winding check on the threaded barrel and the other at the back of the rear grip. They don't have to be big and heavy, even a small "block" of thread and finish at both ends will eliminate the problem.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster