I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

micro hint
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 03, 2016 03:32PM

Punishing my Remaining Eyesight by Wrapping Micros on a Gift Rod! I keep pulling the guide from under the wrap while trying to wiggle it back in position. Was really cranking me up! Figured I had to Stop it from sliding too far out. I purchased these elastic bands to hold Guides in position while wrapping. Slid one on the blank and left a little gap for the guide to move into, Worked Great no more pull outs

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2016 03:41PM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: micro hint
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 03, 2016 03:34PM

Barry,
I assume that as you are wrapping the micros, that you do use a locking wrap to be sure that the guides don't slip out from under the thread don't you?

Be safe

Date: September 03, 2016 03:41PM

yes, they pop out too easy without

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: September 03, 2016 04:49PM

I've been using that method for a number of years now except that I use girls hair bands & a very small bead on it .Another difference I use is a half hitch with one side behind the guide & the other in front of the upright part of the guide to keep the nose of the guide hard on the blank .I posted some photos when I started to use that method of holding if anyone is interested in looking at the difference of holding that I use . I used to struggle all the time with the micro guides trying to hold them until I started to use this system .I must declare that it wasn't my I dear but something that I found on another site .

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 03, 2016 06:14PM

At least sand the feet with 220 or 320 paper This gives it a ( grip ) so the thread does not SLIDE off Your guides do not look like you did any prep on them ????

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: September 03, 2016 06:34PM

Just wanted to mention again that Flex Coat Guide Glue,
a very soft low temp heat glue that is almost like rubber is what we use.
There are several methods to hold the guides in place while testing.
But once they are located in the best positions, we make notes from the tip top down and between each guide for spacing,
then remove them all and use the Flex Coat guide glue one at a time to hold them.
The glue holds them well for wrapping, but is flexible enough to allow aligning when done.
I use a small long nose pliers to hold the guide while heating the foot with a cig lighter, then just stick it on in the marked position.
We don't try to align perfectly until they are all wrapped.
Just get them close at first.
Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Date: September 03, 2016 07:30PM

Your correct Bill with your sanding comment .However I still find it difficult to stop them moving away from the thread & the method that Barry & I use with the rubber band / hair band stops this from happening & makes the transition from the blank to the guide easier to accomplish .I always sand my guides but still find them difficult the start the transition without the back support .I guess as always there a dozen different methods being used & I picked the one that suites me .

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Date: September 04, 2016 01:24PM

Barry; the stretch holders I use are basically the same as hair bands. have had them for years. Did not sand or grind these,they are Batsons and are pretty thin, no problem with grtting thread on them. just moving them back that 1/8 -1/4 to pull the foot back under the thread.

Ron; I do not use Guide glue under my guides.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: September 05, 2016 07:10AM

Barry & Baz
Take a look at orthodontic dental bands. They come in lots of sizes; stretch & hold those little buggers really well.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2016 10:31AM

Ken,
X10 - that is all that I have used for the last several years for holding small guides. I slip bands over the tip of the rod of the right size and always slip on a couple of extras in case an extra one is needed. After the wrap is 1/2 complete, I use a sharp nosed nipper to clip the band and finish the wrap. They come in boxes of 1000 so are very inexpensive.

Be safe

Posted by: John Keough (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 05, 2016 02:19PM

I use guide foot adhesive, works even on the nano micros. Surgical tubing works really well also. Note, guide foot adhesive is not strong like tip top adhesive. It is low temp as stated before.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 05, 2016 03:49PM

I have tried every possible kind of tape, surgical tubing, elastic thread, you name it, and for me nothing compares to Roger's method using orthodontic bands. Although I am somewhat confused by how to order the right sizes. I just wandered into the local orthodontists office and asked if I might buy some. When I told them what I wanted them for they gave some to me. Seems like a lot of tooth guys fish!

Date: September 05, 2016 06:46PM

I did try the bands & wasn't comfortable with them .They just didn't suit me for some unknown reason .When I found the hair band method I felt comfortable using them & thats my only reason .I have been using the hair bands for around 10 yr's now & don't have any problems .I guess it's "Each to their own way of working "

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (73.112.15.---)
Date: September 05, 2016 08:01PM

Ken yes have them too,elasteic hiar band worked well for stopping complete pull out

Barry Its what ever works best for You

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2016 08:03PM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Posted by: Leonard Letukas (---.sctnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 09, 2016 10:19PM

i just cut my 1/8 in. tape in 1/2 and have no proplems

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster