I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel seat size
Posted by: Max Hert (---.telecel.com.py)
Date: August 31, 2016 05:19PM

Hello everybody, I'm not a rod builder but I have a question that I thought may be you'd be the most apt to have an answer to, because I wasn't able to find anything conclusive elsewhere. I bought a solid cage for an Abu Garcia baitcasting reel and I love it, but to my surprise the foot doesn't fit any of the rods I already have. It's 3 1/16 inches, or around 8 cms, solid aluminium, and seems to be something unusual, since most reel seats appear to be able to accomodate reel foots around 2 1/2 inches. Is there any way to id a rod online with a reel seat that would fit this foot? Is there any standard number or measure that I could look for? It's such a nice piece that I'd hate to modify it.
Hope this question idoesn't fall too far from the forum scope, if so, I apologize in advance.
I'd be thankful for any info on the topic!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel seat size
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 31, 2016 06:27PM

Rods with large diameter blanks would have the best chance of having a longer reel seat, as the diameter of the reel seat goes up, so does the length. Take a peek at the Angler's Resource - Fuji site to the left, specs for their reel seats are there.

Date: August 31, 2016 09:53PM

Thank you Spencer, Its a good source of info

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (193.201.167.---)
Date: September 01, 2016 02:31AM

The simplest solution is to use a split reel seat. Then you can actually have a reel with a foot, which is a foot long ;-) or thereabouts. Its just a question of what distance between the two parts of the reel seat YOU want to have.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.33.---)
Date: September 01, 2016 09:54AM

Michal,
Since the reel foot is now longer, it could also be wider, a store bought split reel seat has a good chance of not working. Also he was just asking a general question, he is not a rod builder.

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (---.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl)
Date: September 01, 2016 05:35PM

Well, I didn't specify any particular split seat ;-) ... but seriously, you have a point Spencer. In such case (irrespective of whether Max would be building the rod himself or ordering one) the option would be to get an appropriate size casting reel seat (wide enough) and cut it in two.

Date: September 03, 2016 08:45AM

Thanks guys, the split reel seat custom spaced definitely would solve this, i'll see if can find someone to do it for me, since I'm not into rod building (yet)!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster