I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

turning wood on a power wrapper
Posted by: Dave Gallenberger (---.mmlkcmtc01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: August 12, 2016 02:13PM

I use a power wrapper (Renzetti I believe?) as a dedicated lathe. It works great for turning cork, but I was wondering if anyone has turned hard wood with a setup like this? Is the extra time it takes to shape the wood not worth it?

I'm looking into purchasing a proper wood lathe, but if I can make this power wrapper work that would be ideal since funds and space are pretty limited for me right now.

Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: turning wood on a power wrapper
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 12, 2016 03:24PM

The Renzetti, like all rod wrapping machines, isn't a dedicated wood lathe. It's built very light and isn't substantial enough for most wood turning tasks outside very small pieces and then of mostly very soft wood. For wood turning, you need a bit of "heft" and attachments that are designed for those type forces.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 12, 2016 03:49PM

I can't see that happening but I am not real familiar with the Renzetti , You're not going to have enough power. Others will chime in, You could try one of these [www.grizzly.com] If money is tight, But I would just save my money and buy a harbour freight wood lathe, Or somthing off amazon. Or check Craigslist in your area. I have seen many great buys on used wood lathes their, And you may find a complete package deal with chucks and chisels that someone is done using and is just collecting dust, For less than what you would think. Tight Lines, Jaa

Posted by: John Keough (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 12, 2016 04:35PM

I use a harbor freight lathe and it was cheap if you can find the 30% off coupon. The grizzly is nice as well.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 12, 2016 05:46PM

IMO - the answer is no. Especially if you are intending to turn stabilized wood.

I use an inexpensive Flexcoat cork lathe to turn both cork and very dense stabilized wood integrated into fly rod grips. You have to supply the power in the form of a corded drill. The trick there is to use a drill hat can turn 2500 rpm.
I have been using that setup for past 10-12 yrs.
Herb

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 12, 2016 07:07PM

You might check out penn state industries:

[www.pennstateind.com]

Posted by: jack black (184.63.104.---)
Date: August 13, 2016 09:50AM

i am on my 4th wood lathe, having downsized from a full size to a midi over the years. i also have a renzetti. there is no way a renzetti can be used as a wood turning lathe, unless you only use it for sanding small light pieces. i just finished two grips, a 10" and a 12" in from wood, both in a tri color indian blanket design. i'm certainly no expert, but having turned pens, bowels, pepper mills etc etc for the past 15 years or so, i can again assure you that you need a wood lathe to turn wood. and.....as in all tools its better to cry once.

Posted by: Dave Gallenberger (---.mmlkcmtc01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: August 13, 2016 10:38AM

Got it. Thanks for the input guys.

I'll bite the bullet and get a wood lathe then.

Thank you.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2016 12:00PM

[www.harborfreight.com]

Very good value for the price.

But, as is commonly the case, you will likely need to spend that much more to get appropriate head chuck, tail stock chucks, turning tools.

God luck

Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 14, 2016 11:15PM

I have the nova comet 2 lathe and absolutely love it. Best money spent.

Posted by: Eric Egee (---.lightspeed.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 14, 2016 11:25PM

I use my 30 year old Dale Clemens (Renzetti) lathe to turn everything, including stabilized wood. A larger motor would be preferable, but if your lathe tools are sharp you can turn the small items we use like reel seats, trim rings, hosels, etc. I recently posted some photos on the "handle and reel seat," sub category. See "The Emerald", "Musky Stick" and "9' 6wt Pac Bay." All the stabilized wood and various types of rosewoods on these rods were turned on my Renzetti.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 15, 2016 10:52AM

On my drill lath I have used one of these from home depot It has very sharp teeth and if done a little easy on the pressor you can get it done

[www.amazon.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster