I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Chrome Boat Tops and Braid
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: August 05, 2016 05:39AM

Wondering how the stainless boat tops with chrome finish, like the Pac Bay XBT, will hold up to use with heavy braid - 65 and 80#. Looking at using them for musky rod tops possibly {lots of casting), and would probably use the grey finish version. Mostly concerned if grooving would be possible, and if so would you be looking at a couple seasons, or a really long time?

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2016 05:40AM by Marc Morrone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chrome Boat Tops and Braid
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 05, 2016 09:24AM

A lot of it depends on the quality of the plating but there is a reasonable chance that with enough use the braid will indeed wear and possibly groove those tops. Hopefully someone else that used those specific tops can weigh in with their own experience.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2016 12:25PM

Marc,
For this type of very heavy and hard use, I generally recommend the use of a guide that contains a Silicone Carbide or similar insert. I do this; even if none of the other guides have anything except stainless inserts.

Never any grooving issues with this style tip.

I only do this for the tip top, since that is were a very large % of the heavy hard wear on a rod will occur.

Good luck

Posted by: David Miller (---.sub-70-193-53.myvzw.com)
Date: August 05, 2016 05:54PM

I think Pac Bay makes a rugged ring tip top with tungsten carbide with chrome frame.Haven't tried them but they look like something that is durable.

If your set on the pac bay tich grey, I do like the Alps zirconium with pvd tich ring and frame. That would be a close match to the pac bay.Braid may wear down the tich layer but that would take a long time and no big deal if it does because there is hard zirconium underneath.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2016 06:38PM by David Miller.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 05, 2016 06:24PM

All of the modern ceramic inserts (aluminum oxide, alconite, SIC, Torzite, zirconium, nanolite, duralite, etc) are all extremely hard and can not be cut or scratched by a hacksaw blade or metal file. None of them will be grooved by any type of fishing line. Hard chrome, stainless steel, or titanium alloys are not close in hardness to any of the ceramics, and thus may groove overtime; some faster than others.

Posted by: David Parsons (---.c3-0.rdl-ubr2.trpr-rdl.pa.cable.rcn.com)
Date: August 06, 2016 08:24PM

I put xbt on a lot of rods that use Mono and I would not use them on braid.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster