I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Saltwater Travel Rod
Posted by: Eric Egee (---.lightspeed.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 03, 2016 10:02PM

Looking to build a couple of 7 ft., multi piece, travel rods to be used as inshore, back country spin rods in the Keys. I would like to be able to pack the rods in my checked luggage after putting them into separate aluminum tubes or wrap them in multiple layers of bubble wrap. I've seen several 3 piece rods that are 30 inches long when broken down. Not sure this is short enough to fit into a suitcase that will be checked. I'm thinking they need to be 4 piece rods, but I'm not seeing anything in the category I'm looking for. I have no desire to make the multi piece rods from two, or more single piece rods by cutting and making the ferrels. Would appreciate any suggestions or ideas. Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2016 10:22PM by Eric Egee.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Saltwater Travel Rod
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 03, 2016 10:51PM

CTS rod blanks to the left.

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: August 04, 2016 12:12AM

Don't know what your line rating/lure rating requirements are, but Batson has some 3 and 4 pc travel blanks.
[www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

I know St Croix used to make a 3 or 4 pc m-light popping spinner, but can't find the blank

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: August 04, 2016 12:21AM

Heck, Mudhole has a pretty good selection, too...
[www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: August 04, 2016 05:02AM

Eric,
I have been very fortunate that I get to fish occasionally with my job all of which involves airplane travel. I have the MHX 842 and 843 spin rods that are a 3 pc spin, 7’0”. The 842 covers a wide variety of fishing situations including inshore. 843 is heavier but has a lot of uses. 842 is a GREAT travel rod, saltwater or fresh but really shines in the flats. You might want to consider your method of carrying these 3 pc rods also. I looked for a long time to find a travel case that will protect my 3 pc spin and fly rods and also allow me to carry custom grip demos and mock ups that I use during the rod building classes that I help instruct (see photo). The rod case is by Fish Pond. It will JUST hold a 3 pc spin rod, length wise that has been wrapped in swim noodle. I can get 2, 3 pc spin rods in that swim noodle (see photo). Inside of the case measures at 30 1/8”. There is a divider in the middle so you can actually get 4 rods in there with no reels, or 2 rods, multiple reels, and some tackle. The bottom of the case is hard (see photo). Not shown are some square hard dividers with Velcro along the edges allowing you to build hard walls around your gear. I have often put souvenir pint beer glasses in it wrapped in paper and never had one break. In the last two years this rod case has gone on over 50 plane rides from commercial jets to float planes. I have never had a problem, never had any breakage. I have always used it as a carry on and never had a problem with the airlines saying it is too long. (TSA x-ray folks like to talk fishing when they see the contents)

On the smaller commercial planes where they require you to check all luggage, even carry-ons, I have not had any breakage of the contents with the rod case is put in the belly of the plane.

Sorry for lengthy response but it took me a long time to find a really good way to travel with 3pc rods, and this is it. So to answer your question, I would strongly suggest the 842 and 843 by MHX. . Buzz

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2016 05:03AM by Buzz Butters.

Posted by: doug raff (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 04, 2016 08:16AM

If you are looking to put travel rods in carry on luggage, the airlines limit the size of the bags to 21 or 22 inches in length. These are outside dimensions so you'll need to limit the rod pieces to about 20" each.

Posted by: brian rossi (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 04, 2016 10:58AM

Rodgeeks makes 4 piece 6'6" blanks. Made one for my dad specifically to fit in a carry on.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: August 04, 2016 12:04PM

Doug, yes that is the restrictions, but with all due respect I have never been told in two years of airplane travel (50 plane rides) that I was required to check this particular bag because it was too long. The only times they made me check at at the jet bridge is when EVERYONE's carry ons had to be checked due to the small size of the plane. And when it was checked, still had no trouble with breakage.
Buzz

Posted by: Ron Jack (---.ngn.east.myfairpoint.net)
Date: August 04, 2016 05:20PM

Batson has a three piece 7' travel rod: SWT 70 H - SWT 70 MH - SWT 70M. I just came back from Alaska and I carry these rods in a tube strapped to my backpack. No problems with the airlines - plus these are great rods.

Ron Jack
Bowdoin, Maine

Posted by: Eric Egee (---.lightspeed.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 05, 2016 08:45PM

Thanks to all for your excellent and comprehensive responses. Buzz, the arrangement you have looks great; simple, efficient and you can carry it on. The two blanks you mentioned are two I was considering, but I was afraid they would be too long to fit inside a checked bag, but obviously there is no need if you can carry them on. I'll check out the other blanks mentioned as well.

Thanks again - very helpful..

Posted by: Nuno Paulino (---.dsl.telepac.pt)
Date: August 06, 2016 05:02PM

I have build several rods with the American Tackle travel series blanks and they are amazing. Four different actions all with 7'.
Could be a solution for your needs!

Nuno

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster