I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cobia rod
Posted by: Scott Assmann (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: August 03, 2016 08:21AM

I am building a spinning cobia rod for a co-worker. I building it on a MHX 80M 8'0" rod. He has a reel he wants to use, its a Penn 701. So I'm gonna go with a 18 series reel seat from Fuji and a split grip so I can do some thread work. I normally do a static load test for guide placement but I've been reading up a bunch on the KR concept system and the 27X method which had valid points. I guess my question is what da yall think of the rod and what is your impressions of the KR and 27x systems. If I do go with static load testing I'm gonna have to wait till I get the rod and get the reel seat on so I can determine the guide heights for the stripper guide. If someone has done an 8' cobia or stripper rod how about a clue on your recipe. Thanks Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cobia rod
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 03, 2016 05:10PM

Either will work but NOT BOTH at the same time. KR is designed to shorten the choke distance. 27X spins off of the original New Guide Concept which is not the same animal. If you go KR I would suggest the double foot RV for this application.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 03, 2016 05:30PM

Using either system usually places enough guides on the rod that a static distribution test is almost redundant. Both systems put enough guides on the rod that this usually isn't an issue. Just make sure to have enough running guides beyond the choke guide for whatever length is remaining.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 03, 2016 07:01PM

If your friend will be using mono I would go with the 27X or NGC, if he will be using braid I would go with the KR concept. The Penn 701 reel is a large reel and will require a relatively high framed stripper guide spaced some where around 24" from the spool tip. For the 27X/NGC I would use KW guides for the reduction train (I.e. 40, 30L, 16) and for running guides could use KW or KT/KB guides of the size you want. For the KR concept could try the size 25 RV followed by a 12M KW, followed by a KL7M followed KB/KT size 6. The choke guide in most cases will be approximately the same distance from the stripper as the stripper is from the spool tip. This should give you a starting point.
Norm

Posted by: Scott Assmann (12.15.182.---)
Date: August 04, 2016 06:06AM

I'm going to use the KR system. I plan to or I should say I was thinking of using the 25H, 12H, and 7L in the KW series for the reduction train then use 2 size 6L's in the KB series as the chocker and then run 6-7 runners size 6 in the KT series with a size 6 tip top in the MN series. The tube is 6.5mm. I am going to evenly space out the runner so the are at least 4 inches but no more than 5.
The Stripper guide will be I'm guessing around 22-25" from the axel spool and the chocker will be around 44.5".......

Date: August 04, 2016 10:45AM

The only problem with the the size 25 KW is it does not have as high a frame as the as the size 25 RV, I.e. 41.3 mm vs 55.9 mm, respectively. Might be better off using the size 30 KW (59.6 mm), followed by a 12M KW (26.2 mm), and a size 10 KW (14.6 mm) as the reduction train and size 6 KB/KTs as runners. The size 12M KW only comes with a titanium frame (like the RV guides) making the cost more; I do not understand why Fuji does this! If you are not using titanium guides could replace the KW 12M with a KW 16 (21.2 mm). This reduction guide layout would be very similar in height to that used for the KR concept using KL-H reduction guides (sizes 25, 12, and 5.5M) as recommended by Fuji. I really like the KR concept very much, and if you are trying it for the first time it can seem very confusing, but it does work very well. All of the height numbers came from anglers resource. FYI, Jim Ising just sent out an email, discussing the role of height in the grouping of reduction guides.

Norm

Posted by: Scott Assmann (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: August 04, 2016 11:20PM

Thanks Norm.....Your spot on with the 30KW since I have to use this old Penn 701 which has a HUGE spool. I'm gonna go with a 30, 20, 10 KW for the reduction train and size 6 KB / KT and a MN tip top. I just got the Rod and I have to admit the Slate grey with the carbon fiber weave clear look great. The rod is a bit more stiff than I thought it would be. My plan is to make this a split grip, approx. 7" and in the space I'm gonna do a "Tiger Wrap". The base colors are gonna be black, white and possibly the red that is in the Krispy Cream logo, I thinks it fire red. The top colors are gonna be green (evergreen) with the sacrificial pull thread. The green is the color he had the reel painted.
The KW's are a dual foot design and I wanted to use the green as a under wrap with a black over wrap with a single green inlay in the middle of the foot. I always use a chrome trim bands. Now the KB and KT's are single foot designs.....Do you think I should continue with an under wrap or drop it and do a green and chrome trim band. Please, anybody post you comments or suggestions, this is only my second "non bass" rod.

Scott

Date: August 04, 2016 11:42PM

I do not think the under wrap is needed for the single ft guides, but that is up to you. It sounds like it's going to be beautiful rod and I think your friend will love it. You have put a lot of thought into this rod, so I am sure it will turn out great. Good luck!
Norm

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 10, 2016 11:54AM

Thanks for the shout out Norm. Some folks think signing up for our email news will get them an inbox full of sales pitches. They don't realize we've changed the format to an educational message that can help them understand best use of Fuji products. Send an email to info@anglersresource and we'll be happy to add you. Try it, you can always unsubscribe...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster