I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

10 FREE VINTAGE RODS
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 01, 2016 05:14PM

Now that I have your attention, yes, I am offering a lot of 10 vintage rods and two old spinning reels to one of you. But here’s the deal. #1) I need help identifying the circa, value and one part for the three rods I am keeping of the original lot of 13. The one of you who assists me the most and / or I like most gets the lot of 10. Be forewarned though, if Roger Wilson is interested in this offer, you may have to go beyond the call of duty, as I fell indebted to him for all his assistance getting me started wrapping. #2) I am NOT going to LOSE money with packaging and shipping.
A long time friend of 40 years offered these rods and other tackle to me as I am the only fishaholic she knows. Her father passed away 10 years ago and it was time to clean out the garage and let them go. I insisted she should keep the 7-8ft Heddon bamboo fly rod though. Most must have been custom wrapped as those have no labels or markings. The four with visible labels are “Conolon Missilite Titlist 9307”, “Garcia Conolon 2887-A”,“Hurricane”, and “South Bend”. Almost all are darker brown woven FG, wraps intact except two, green pitted guides unless those made of 316 SS, spinning and casting, metal ferrules if 2-piece (including one with threaded lock nut), 4 are heavy, ocean or surf. Pics are available to interested parties.
The 3 I am keeping are: 1.) Roddy Built Custom Rods model 8R5 or BR5 because it was built close to where I live; 2.) Fenwick Feralite FF79 in pristine condition which I will give to my son; 3.) Heddon 5ft bamboo casting rod that I want to fish.
While I have researched all three but will welcome any additional information, I need the most help with the Heddon. The rod is 5ft, six sided, four-thread-wide red wraps covering the knuckles of the bamboo, beautiful silver-looking (as in Hg) ferules, winding check, reel seat, sliding finger trigger and but cap. The double foot guides are not corroded with amber inserts. My research revealed red inserts but not yellow or amber. Also, the name is not inscribed in the rod but rather a decal of a fish with a red “Heddon” in the center which leads me to believe it is not as old as it might be otherwise. The guide wraps are in excellent condition. The only issue is the front reel clamp (glorified hose clamp) which I assume must have been replaced as it has “Phlueger Griptite” stamped into it. I would like to locate an original reel clamp. Also, would it be just plain wrong to put a thin coat of epoxy on the guide wraps to preserve the original thread? I suspect the value to be in the $50.00-75.00 range. But?
Thank you to all interested.
Ready, Set, Go
Mark Talmo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 10 FREE VINTAGE RODS
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 01, 2016 05:39PM

The Heddon in good condition would run several times what you've quoted. It is collectable. Without photos I can't say just how much it is actually worth.

Heddon, because of the number of rods they built, both commercial and in their "hand made" shop, were able to source exceptionally high quality bamboo. In good condition, almost any fly rod from model 17 and up is a worthwhile addition to any collection and almost any casting rod of any model is as well.

Date: August 01, 2016 08:04PM

Thanks for taking the time, Tom. While not pristine, I would give it an honest 90-94. Sure would like to know how old it is.
Mark Talmo

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 01, 2016 08:18PM

I could probably dial it in with some photos.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 01, 2016 08:46PM

Photos would certainly help. Hey, if you are into old Heddon rods....there used to be a fantastic book.....probably out of print and a collectors item now....but you never know what you might find if you look. Heddon the Rod with the Fighting Heart, by Michael Sinclair.

Doubt I can be much help but I'll try. Those rods were before my time, and being a saltwater guy I never appreciated bamboo rods when I ran across them in the past.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: August 02, 2016 01:40AM

Tom and Russ,
Thank you for your time. I'm not sure how to post photos but I'll attempt tomorrow. Those rods were "about my time" which is why I am excited about them.
Mark Talmo

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 02, 2016 04:24AM

+1 for Roger Wilson Also! One Heck of a gentleman, I'm sure he went out of his way to email me all the information and explanations, Of how to build a DC powered wrapping chuck, Thanks Roger!! It'scomming along nicely. Jay

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 02, 2016 09:00PM

Epoxy, NO! Varnish, YES!

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: gary Marquardt (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: August 04, 2016 11:30PM

Pictures would help but having seen a lot of Heddons,since the old factory is kind of close I'm going to make a guess. I'm guessing an earlier no.1 sport special

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster