I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Vintage Rods
Posted by: Chris Harban (50.37.245.---)
Date: July 29, 2016 11:20PM

So today at a garage sale, my GF picked up 5 really cool vintage rods. There are a couple that are 30lb class, matched, a couple of 40lb class rods, and a 50lb class rod with roller guides. They all appear to be custom builds. I am told that the deceased owner lived in Florida. There was also a Penn 9/0, a very nice electric reel, and a Penn International 30. All of this came home with me, sans the International 30, as it was not one that I have immediate plans on fishing. The other 2 reels I am super pleased to have found for next to nothing.

Most rods that I see at garage sales are not worth a second glance. These are all fiberglass blanks, and the glass is really pretty on 3 of them. These feel like nice rods, like they could be built into beautiful rods.

With vintage rods like this.... They feel solid. They look great, but could use re-wrapped. The guides are all present, but vintage. Undamaged, and in great shape. They have a feel of being quality rods.. One of them has a 2 piece Aftco 2 piece aluminum butt, and Aftco rollers... I think these rods should be re-wrapped. Should it be with the original guides? Are these collectors rods?

They are fiberglass.. should they be sound for fishing? For pulling hard? Are they better for collectors?

I think they can fish, but, I would like to hear some experienced opinions. I personally would fish them...

I see similar rods listed on @#$%& for decent money. Who is buying them

If they were to be re-wrapped... should it be with the same guides? What about the grips, and reel seats? The reel seats look strong, and okay, but in a vintage sort of way. The guides are good looking, but obviously vintage.

Cheers All!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2016 11:21PM by Chris Harban.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vintage Rods
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 30, 2016 08:07AM

Unless they were made by a well known and respected builder, they are not necessarily collectable nor worth much money. This has little to do with their quality, but more to do with the maker and his reputation as a builder.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: July 30, 2016 08:25AM

Wrap them and take them fishing. Your choice on using the same guides or not. If the guides are not damaged use them. "Dated" doesn't mean "bad". In many ways heavy trolling rods IMHO work baits better than high concentrate graphite blanks and are more forgiving at the rail if a large fish makes a final run as they will absorb the shock.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2016 09:15AM

Chris,
Rather than make any changes to the rod, why don't you take the rods fishing and see how they fish?

If one or all of the rods work well for fishing, then consider doing some changes or rewrapping. No need to use different guides if the current ones work and are all right for your uses.

It doesn't make sense to spend a lot of time, effort and money on a rod that ends up being a dud in the fishing department.

Good luck

Posted by: Chris Harban (172.79.99.---)
Date: July 30, 2016 10:09AM

Thanks for the replies.

No, there is no value to these rods based on whoever built them, it is the blanks that seem decent, not necessarily the build quality. The wraps are old, not all in good shape.

Posted by: Chris Harban (---.sub-70-199-139.myvzw.com)
Date: August 01, 2016 12:32PM

These are Kencor Magnaglass blanks.. I see they have a little bit of a following. Looking forward to re-wrapping and fishing these.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster