I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

static test
Posted by: phil ayers (50.58.79.---)
Date: July 14, 2016 09:25AM

Tom, I have only been building rods for about a year and a half and I am trying to learn all I can to be better at it. At the 2017 expo I would like to see a demonstration on the static test. I have been to the last two expos and enjoy them very much. I have been working on the static thing, I have read your article and other writings and I struggle with this. I can not find a video in detail so I need to see first hand if possible. I hope you will consider this. Thanks for all you do. Phil Ayers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: static test
Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 14, 2016 09:43AM

Good idea Phil, not all attendees are veteran builders. Perhaps they can do one on a fast action rod then one on a moderate action to show you the difference in how it would have been laid out !!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2016 09:45AM by Tom Wewerka.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 14, 2016 10:05AM

That's a good idea, I may well add such a presentation to the 2017 seminar list.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 14, 2016 01:53PM

This may also help
[anglersresource.net]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: July 15, 2016 08:34AM

Phil,
i realize you have been building for a while but you might want to consider taking the Mud Hole Custom Tackle rod building class. Day 1 you build an entire rod from scratch including wrapping and finish application. Day two is all advanced techniques demonstrations including a detailed demonstration for a static line deflection test and custom guide spacing for spin rods, casting rods, and casting rods with spiral wraps. A number of builders with some experience take this course and have commented on how informative the advanced demonstrations are, including static line deflection test.

Good luck,
Buzz

Posted by: phil ayers (50.58.79.---)
Date: July 15, 2016 10:31AM

I did take the Mudhole class and it was not part of the second day on the class I took in Charlotte. I took the class first, it will be two years this Feb. If it was mentioned I don't remember it there was no demo. Phil

Posted by: joe williams (---.sub-70-196-138.myvzw.com)
Date: July 15, 2016 12:29PM

I struggle with the static test also. How much is too much load? Stop at 90 deg. or less? Line touching blank while at 90 deg? Just some of my hang ups. I always end up with too many guides. Hope to make the next expo and would like to see this presentation.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 15, 2016 04:20PM

Joe,
If you wanted, you could always just go with 5 guides, and not worry about where the line touches or goes under the blank.

A lot of commercial rods are built like this and they seldom have breakage issues.

If you think about it, normally it doesn't make a lot of difference if the line touches or goes under the blank.

I would not build a rod like this with such few guides on a soft tipped rod, but it is possible.

Part of the fact of custom - rods - is that the builder has the choice of type, size, and number of guides on a rod.

If building a casting rod, you always have the option of building the rod with a spiral wrap so that the line is under the rod for the bulk of its run. If you use fewer guides, you use fewer guides.

In addition, I do the static test of the blank before doing any work on the blank. I basically just use the floor to static test the blank, such that the blank is flexed to 90 degrees. If the blank is going to be an issue, I want the blank broken before I ever spend any time on the blank at all.

When I do my guide placement testing, I just thread the line through the guides and pull about a 30 degree flex into the blank to be sure that the blank loads properly with the guide placement.

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2016 04:22PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---.sub-70-194-69.myvzw.com)
Date: July 23, 2016 12:56PM

Phil, I'm in the same boat with you. I've only been at this a short time, so take this with a handful of salt.

I cut off about 12' from the back end of an old fly line; the running section. It's bright yellow, making it easy to see. I never flex the rod past 90 degrees. but do go that far. Start out by flexing just a little bit. Just far enough to place the first guide or two down from the tip. Flex the blank further to place guides further down the blank, but don't go past 90 degrees. When you got them all where you think they should be, relax the blank, then start flexing slowly, from no load up to 90 degrees and back. Do this a couple of times, slowly, and watch the fly line as it relates to the blank. It should follow the blank's curve closely, without any sharp bends. Even out the angles in the fly line, and you're done. I always then lay the rod on the bench, measure all the guides form the tip, and record the measurements.

It get easier each time.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: July 24, 2016 09:55AM

Gary
Using fly line is an excellent idea. I don't know why I never thought of it. Great tip

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 24, 2016 08:03PM

look around for some cheap fly in on the net I have been using it for years I use the thin running line Works well for bad eyes to alien guides also

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---.sub-70-194-69.myvzw.com)
Date: July 24, 2016 08:22PM

Thanks, Bill. I forgot to mention I use the same piece of line for guide alignment. Works good for my old eyes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster