I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel Seat Adhesive
Posted by: martin ferral (---.mycingular.net)
Date: July 02, 2016 01:06PM

Can anyone recommend an adhesive for bonding a Varmac RS 5 reel seat to an wooden handle and the ferrule to a solid glass blank? I want something that I could remove if necessary in the future. Best, Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel Seat Adhesive
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 02, 2016 03:28PM

The absolute best epoxy for reel seats is the epoxy sold at golf shops for gluing the heads on golf shafts. It has to withstand the 1000 or so impacts of the club head hitting the ball as well as the ground.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 02, 2016 03:49PM

Any slow drying epoxy would work well.

Be safe

Posted by: martin ferral (---.fuse.net)
Date: July 02, 2016 05:16PM

Would either of those suggestions be able to soften enough to remove the reel seat and ferrule if ever I wanted to re-use them?

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: July 02, 2016 06:26PM

remove reel seat it can be dun but you will work at it , check some of the old forum list here , not easy as you don't want the seat
to come loose when you use it [ bad news if it happened's ] good luck
by the way what to you want to save the blank or the seat ?? most people want to save the blank

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 02, 2016 06:30PM

If you need to remove it in the future, use a hot melt glue. Any good epoxy combined with proper surface proper may land you in a place where the only way to remove the seat is to cut it off or bore out the wood handle.

Posted by: martin ferral (---.mycingular.net)
Date: July 02, 2016 11:00PM

The reel seat is more valuable and harder to replace then the blank. I think I'll just use a slow curing epoxy and not worry about it. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 03, 2016 03:30AM

Martin,
When it comes time to remove the reel seat, just run a dremel tool with an abrasive cut off wheel down each side of the reel seat. Then, insert a wide screwdriver into the slit and give it a twist. The reel seat will pop off of the rod in two pieces.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 03, 2016 11:04AM

Thats kinda foolish in so much as he stated the want to be able to save the seat since is is more valuable than the blank to him

Ron Weber

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 03, 2016 12:17PM

Martin

Here is a wild idea. Get a length of stainless steel music wire about 0.5 mm. Starting at the fore end, wrap the wire over itself a few times to provide and anchor spiral wrap about a 1/4 to 1/2 spacing to the butt end and secure the end with thread. Install the reel seat as you would normally do. When the time comes to remove the seat. Expose the end of the reel seat and pick away at the epoxy to expose the end of the wire. Grab the wire with pliers and slowly pull the wire while turning the rod, the wire will cut through the epoxy as it unwinds, when all the wire is pulled out the grip will twist right off. This process seems to work when removing guides if you are lucky enough to grab the end of the thread and gently pull the thread through the finish layer.

Initially it would require some time but later on it would it would be well worth the effort.

Good luck

John

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: July 03, 2016 09:07PM

that is a lot of work to me , buy 2 reel seats an be dun with it, my time is money to me

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 04, 2016 01:13AM

Martin, Tom hit the nail on the head. When it comes time to remove that seat, just hack the butt off and drill out the remainder and whatever else is in the seat until your free and clear.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster