I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Newbie help?
Posted by: sid hager (---.knology.net)
Date: June 09, 2016 08:02AM

Im placing my first order from mudhole. Never made a rod. I'm buying a Hercules XL Inshore Heavy (INS 72H) blank. Can someone help me pick out the guide sizes and reel seat or do I need to wait to get it a mic it? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie help?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 09, 2016 08:58AM

It's very possible that one of the sales people at Mud Hole would be happy to assist you. Most of them are long time rod builders and could dial you in very well.

Posted by: sid hager (---.knology.net)
Date: June 09, 2016 09:07AM

Thank you Tom

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 09, 2016 11:01AM

Sid,
X10 on Tom's comments.
Mudhole as well as the other sponsors are very helpful with orders and their customers.

Good luck

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 09, 2016 04:54PM

All the sponsors are great -- or they would not be on this board

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 09, 2016 05:38PM

Sid, reel seats should be picked according to your hand size/preference and not blank diameter. Guide sizes/types are a function of reel type/size, #test fished, and desired durability.

For example....that blank is something like 30-60# rated....often used on party boats. So I would guess you are using a conventional and not a spinning reel. Likely a 3/0 to 4/0 sized reel. If I'm close I'd probably pick a reel seat around size 20-22 depending on what fits your hands well. Both aluminum and graphite are strong enough but aluminum looks better and seems the right choice for such a blank. Alps and "chanel lock" are solid choices. I'd pick a double foot guide (for durability) in 316 stanless like alps xn series with zirconium rings or american tackle virtus with nanolite rings. Guides sizes depend on reel, how you wrap the rod, and any knots that have to pass through guide train.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Sheridan Stanton (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: June 09, 2016 08:32PM

Guides start with a 25 or 20 depending on the reel, Taller reel taller guide. Then either 20 16 12 10 8 8 for mono down to a 10 for braid and a knot or 12 if your'e going to be casting something heavy, 2-3oz or heavier. Make sure your tip ring size isn't smaller the your smallest guide. I've had 2 for repairs lately were the front guide feet on all the small guides were broken because the guy was using a BIG knot and an 8oz sinker with #8 guides. Reel seat shouldn't be too much bigger than the blank but not super snug either. Make sure the screws for the clamp will fit around it too. Usually add 1 +1 guide for each foot of rod so 7 for a 6 footer 8 for a 7 etc. There are some blanks that may require more or less depending on taper and that will affect spacing too. Any of the sponsors here can help with that too and type style of guide etc. Play around with the reel seat location or hit the local shop and pull on some of theirs to see what's comfortable, an inch can make a difference. Try not to get ahead of yourself, focus on one step at a time, Gluing up a reel seat isn't a good time to be thinking about what finish you're going to use. You can take as many mulligans as you want, you're not on the clock. Take your time ,ask guestions , and relax.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster