I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spiral wrapping, is it worth it?
Posted by: Jason Franqui (---.pbso.org)
Date: June 07, 2016 08:04PM

I would like to start off and say I am I young rod builder and by no means am I am expert on this topic, but I would like to share my experience I had on a recent build. I had picked up a MHX 5’6 power tip stand up rod on sale and wanted to try and build my first offshore rod. I built the bottom of the rod with a alps gimbal,10” slick butt a pac bay reel seat, and a 10in forward grip. For my guides I went with the alps ST guides 25, 16, 16, 12 , 12, 12, tip top. Instead of tape I decided to use zip ties to test fit the guides. I slapped a reel on and tied the line to a car battery and started to load the rod. As I started lifting the rod bam all the guides except the first 3 went to the underside of the rod, in disbelief I did this test several times with the same results. I was a skeptic about spiraling wrapping rods until this test. I ended up wrapping this rod the old way as it is going to be a gift for my uncle who is old fashion, but after a little more research on guide sizes for spiral wrapped rod. All my rods from this point will be spiral wrapped.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and any feedback from the pros would be awesome.
Jason

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spiral wrapping, is it worth it?
Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: June 08, 2016 01:33PM

Jason,

A lot of guys "can't get their head around" a spiral wrap. Personally I feel they are the way to go with a heavy stand up rod.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.106.---)
Date: June 08, 2016 03:09PM

X2 Don. Work great for saltwater applications. Plenty of info if you do a search. Good luck. MH

Posted by: Jason Franqui (---.pbso.org)
Date: June 08, 2016 03:11PM

Don,
After seeing the results I totally agree with you.
I am getting ready to build a flipping stick for Snook and will be redoing the test to see what happens. I have a feeling that rod will be spiral wrapped at the end.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: June 08, 2016 04:12PM

Once you fish a spiral wrapped rod you will wonder why this has taken so long to sink in and not become "the norm" for any heavy application casting or trolling rod

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: June 08, 2016 09:30PM

FWIW from a relatively new comer to building, I recently wrapped a 30-60 lbs class rod for yellowtail and light tuna. I spiraled with 25-12-12-10's out to the tip top. I was thinking I could have gone straight from 25 to 10. I think (and more experienced builders chime in) that you would be better off going straight from 25 to 12 all the way to the tip.

Just reread, and realized that you've already wrapped it, but that is my suggestion.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster