I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

restoring a Scott G series that is really beat up
Posted by: Jesse Shipe (---.29.226.218.res-cmts.sha.ptd.net)
Date: June 06, 2016 09:27PM

Hello all,

Its been awhile since I have done some rod work, but Im about to get back into an old project. I have a Scott 8 1/2' 5 wt. G series rod that is really hammered. The problem that I am having is removing the left over epoxy on the guides that were on the blank. It is very difficult to remove and is chipping the original finish off of the rod.

I would like to retain the original "taped" look if possible, but I am wondering if it would just make more sense to totally refinish it with a sanded and dull matt type finish. I have done this before, but I prefer to keep the rod looking something like it did when new.

Suggestions?? Thanks. Jesse

I have tried the credit card and heat... not much happening with that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: restoring a Scott G series that is really beat up
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 07, 2016 05:32PM

A little I mean little heat will soften the finish then a razor blade over the foot to cut the thread Peal it off Re heat and grab a threat and undo the rest of the thread When warm - Not Hot -- it comes off pretty clean
But I would suggest strip the finish all off and refinish You will probably have to re-locate the guides any way

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 07, 2016 06:14PM

Be careful with heat. I learned the hard way once when I was using a heat gun to soften some epoxy and the section I was beating folded over. This happened on the low heat setting. I now use a hair dryer it is much easier on the blank then a beast gun. If you are going to put the guides back in the same place clean up the best you can without removing the original rod finish rewrap and epoxy; will not know you rewrapped.
Norm

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 07, 2016 06:20PM

It may not be epoxy, if not heat is no help.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 07, 2016 07:21PM

Contact Scott Fly Rods, ask the what they would suggest.

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: June 07, 2016 09:50PM

eric zamora Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Contact Scott Fly Rods, ask the what they would
> suggest.
>
> eric
> fresno, ca.

That is a good idea. What ever they put on the line guides, its tough stuff. Thank you.

Date: June 08, 2016 08:42AM

I just got a new heat gun I first thing I thought about was it is hotter then a hair dryer But if careful you can do it Just move faster and a lot farther away from what your heating

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 08, 2016 08:47PM

Bill,
On your new heat gun, do you have an adjustable air supply?

If so, you will find that when you leave the air supply wide open, the heat is much cooler than if the air supply is fully shut off.

Be safe

Date: June 09, 2016 06:16AM

The folks at Scott got right back to me. They suggested a wiping rag with toulene or acetone.

I have found that I can scrape the epoxy with a PENNEY. It is softer than steel, harder than plastic, and its not gouging my blank.... This is a slow process, no matter how you do it.

Date: June 09, 2016 05:37PM

Roger
Same force of air yet two heat settings I played with it before I put it on a rod Even on low heat it is HOT I may self have replaced a blank even from a hair dryer - ( don't watch TV while heating finish ) Ya got to be Careful But it is a lot quicker to use I have to find a better way to blow any dust off a rod - Maybe get another hair dryer - ??? With high air force On cold

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 10, 2016 11:43AM

Bill,
Open all of the windows in your rod building area.

Plug in your electric leaf blower and go over every square inch of your rod building area, including ceilings, walls, floors and benches. Here is a nice inexpensive blower that works very well to blow everything that is not nailed down out the window of your rod building area.

[www.homedepot.com]

Obviously you will have put away any thing that can be blown away.

Do this two or three times over the course of a couple of days and you will not have a spec of dust anywhere in your shop.

===
By the way, I am not kidding. I do this all of the time in the outbuilding where I do all of my "dirty" word. i.e. sanding, turning etc. I open up the windows and use my air compressor and blow gun to blow everything out the doors and windows to insure that the area is free of dust.

I always do it before starting work to be sure that there is nothing on the floors, walls or shelves that might otherwise contaminate a good job.

Be safe

Be safe

Date: June 10, 2016 12:37PM

I can see the mess that blower would make with all the stuff on the floor My sisters nick nakes on the tables ( living room ) I spray water on most every thing before finishing a rod That seems to do a good job to keep it down LOL
I envy the guys that have one room as The Shop

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2016 12:39PM by bill boettcher.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster